• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO Publishes Viewer Complaint About Scum's Wish Kiss Scene

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Were they drinking Mountain Dew on a snowboard while kissing? 'Cause that's where my mind goes when someone uses the word "extreme".
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Here it is. not surprised at all that they got complaints lol.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
A complaint about Chibi Maruko-Chan, really? I suppose it is true that you can find someone somewhere that doesn't like whatever it is that you are doing.

It's a funny old world, Japan included.

Mark Gosdin
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see "complaints" like these I still cannot get over how hypocritical and prude they are. Seriously, over a kiss? And then we wonder why/if they censored one of the best scenes in Yuri On Ice?

Please someone enlighten me: Did Prison School ever get any complaints?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Well if this is their response, there will be more complaints to come, given they do more than that in the subsequent episodes. I have to wonder, do they have someone watching late night anime to complain about it? I can understand for daytime anime, they might see it incidentally, but what parent is up at 1 am on a Thursday night (effectively Friday) long enough to watch this show, aside from parents of infants? Though I would be more annoyed if my response wasn't "Who cares?"

OTOH they do have a point with the in-app purchases. Those can be bad especially with kids doing the purchases. Though really you just have to set it to not allow in-app purchases, so ultimately the answer is to be more savvy. Though hardly to an eye-popping or onerous level, I admit I had spent more than I would have liked to on such things in the past, so now I'm strictly a free player of such games.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
These sound like "professional complainants" to me - the kind of people who seem to have nothing else to do but complain about everything they don't like on TV because it's not the way it was in the old days. We get them in the UK complaining about shows they've not even seen, sometimes before they've even aired, because they want to turn back the clock to the kind of shows where you couldn't even show a married couple in the same bed.

Sounds very much like the same level of busybodies.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
at 1 am on a Thursday night (effectively Friday) long enough to watch this show, aside from parents of infants? Though I would be more annoyed if my response wasn't "Who cares?"

First, why not just say "Friday at 1 am"? Because 1 am on Thursday....is Thursday morning. Speaking with correct english, 1 am is ALWAYS in the morning. 1 am Friday=Friday morning.

Second, have you eve heard of DVR or other such devices? Or people that work odd hours? Some people work starting at like 3 am and wake up a few hours earlier and turn on the TV while getting ready.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Why keep giving groups like this the dignity of news coverage? They're professional attention whores. The best way to make them irrelevant is to ignore them entirely.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
You know trolls in Japan, if you don't like what you see we now have technology that you can not only change the station but, can you believe it, you can shut the TV off. Amazing isn't it?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

First, why not just say "Friday at 1 am"? Because 1 am on Thursday....is Thursday morning. Speaking with correct english, 1 am is ALWAYS in the morning. 1 am Friday=Friday morning.

Second, have you eve heard of DVR or other such devices? Or people that work odd hours? Some people work starting at like 3 am and wake up a few hours earlier and turn on the TV while getting ready.

First, Late night anime's airing dates and times are listed in such a fashion, and I used language similar to when those times are reported in English.

Second, yes I have, and I work odd hours myself. In any case, the parents would have had to intentionally watched the show, which raises the question: Why did they watch it and subsequently complain? If their concern is with what their kids are or could be watching, why are they concerning themselves with shows airing when kids at an age where this could arguably be an issue are and should be asleep? The TV stations have done their due diligence by putting it in a time-slot where kids won't see it inadvertently so what it there to complain about? Like others, it seems to me that the complainants are just complaining to complain, and not out of reasonable concern for their children's well-being. If they want to be that prudish about what is shown on TV late night, that is fine, but if they want to complain about it, my response is "Who cares?" and that ought to be the TV stations response (not to their faces of course).
Suena

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Why keep giving groups like this the dignity of news coverage? They're professional attention whores. The best way to make them irrelevant is to ignore them entirely.

Because articles that get people to be outraged at other people being outraged always get tons of clicks. Laughing
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
That kiss did make it look like the two were close to f*cking. Confused
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
That kiss did make it look like the two were close to f*cking. Confused
Let's just say they get a lot closer to that later
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I simply love it that Scum's Wish is getting the panties of prudish people twisted. The anime is making some great points about identity and sexuality; I hope more people appreciate that instead of just dismissing it as "perverted things that can damage the children".

F-u BPO and all other hypocrite, prudish watchdog groups
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
The kiss scene is almost certainly from Scum's Wish but it is a bit jarring to see such a definite headline identifying the show and then this from the article:

Quote:
The complaint does not identify the anime, but some Internet users believe it refers to an episode of Scum's Wish that was broadcast in January.

Well, okay then - if that's what "some Internet users believe" then I'm sold!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3