• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ERASED Manga Inspires Live-Action Netflix Series in 190 Countries

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MakinoAhegao

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's Netflix, it's still probably going to disappoint... but hey, so did the anime. w
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Yuki domination. Oh, Netflix. Please stop.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MakinoAhegao wrote:
Even though it's Netflix, it's still probably going to disappoint... but hey, so did the anime. w

Go home Makino you're drunk. The anime was awesome! Top 5 of the year.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of adaptations in a short timespan.
Azumi14

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
ERASED was made into a movie in Japan (Not anime). The story was kind of on track with the anime but they butcher the ending. I wonder if they will follow the story or just use the idea for the Netflix show.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
While not as good as the manga, the anime wasn't bad until the final portion where they had no time remaining to play out the climax, so they went off the rails. Which can also be attributed to being made as the end was being created, so they didn't know how much time they'd need for it.

There is no reason that Erased couldn't be made into a good live-action series. There are no special effects or CGI required that would challenge filmmakers, budget, or viewers' suspension of disbelief. The anime went 12 half-hour episodes, and, other than the ending, did a good job of showing us the most important events. Assuming that, like most live action shows made by Netflix, that it will be 12 hour-long episodes, that will give them plenty of time to include the information and scenes that were left out of the anime, as well as a more solid ending.

Really, of any anime that have come out in recent years and had that level of popularity, it's probably one of, if not the best to adapt into live action. I just hope that the US is one of the 190 countries that's getting it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...this is honestly a series I think would benefit from an American adaptation. It'd likely develop a cult following similar to Stranger Things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Another adaptation of this horrible time reset story, no thank you.
SleepyDave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
While I think, that this cast is quite good, I don't like Satorus actor as adult. He looks weird. But hey, maybe this'll fix the animes issues.
Lopezz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
YASHIROOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Inopethflames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
I'm going to assume since they say 190 countries but don't mention USA that it won't be on Netflix America. I guess it's just because they would have to pay more, but it would be nice if they just had every show on all Netflix around the world. It probably wouldn't even be worth it for them to offer that as an option for even like twenty to twenty five bucks a month since sales for that version would be really low, but I still wish they'd just have all the Japanese shows on Netflix USA. Or partner with crunchyroll and show it there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
I liked the anime a lot, but I'm not sure about a live-action adaptation. Part of it is that I tend to find Japanese live action acting kind of hammy (unless it is a "serious", quality film). I'll check it out, though.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Inopethflames wrote:
I'm going to assume since they say 190 countries but don't mention USA that it won't be on Netflix America.

Netflix advertises itself as being available "in over 190 countries", they say this will be available in 190 countries, and you believe the US won't be included because it isn't specifically called out.

Even I am not that pessimistic.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Cool, I guess. I am satisfied with the anime, but good for those that wished for another live action adaptation.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who read the manga know how ridiculously they butchered the whole thing in the anime.

They pretty much screwed up 4 whole volumes, starting from episode one already.

The manga besides not being the best mystery, it was quite a great story overall, with amazingly well executed scenes and messages. The ending was a bit of anticlimatic (reminded me of Monster's) in the manga as well, but not at all atroucious and badly written like the anime's.

Still a high 8+/10 manga, would recommend to read it and ignore the anime completely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2