• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri Lowenthal, Kate Higgins Reprise Roles as Suzaku, C.C. in Code Geass: Akito the Exiled

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
This is great. This is really great. I know almost nothing about Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, so it could suck, but I wouldn't even care, because the boys (and girl) are back!

This reminds me about a joke people made about Yuri on Ice: "Wouldn't it be funny and amazing if Yuri Lowenthal played Yuri Katsuki in the Simuldub?"
I used to be like, "Sure... but there's no way that would actually happen." I guess I should take that back, because, well... THIS HAPPENED. Very Happy
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:32 pm Reply with quote
And there we have it! Yuri and Kate are reprising their roles. I'd be surprised if it ends up with JYB not reprising. lol. At this point it's safe to say they got all three of the previous major characters back. I'm actually more interested in who the ADR director/s is/are at this point.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
And there we have it! Yuri and Kate are reprising their roles. I'd be surprised if it ends up with JYB not reprising. lol. At this point it's safe to say they got all three of the previous major characters back. I'm actually more interested in who the ADR director/s is/are at this point.

It could be like when they got the Haruhi gang back together for the Nagato Yuki series, where they announced everyone except for JYB, despite him still being in it.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
It could be like when they got the Haruhi gang back together for the Nagato Yuki series, where they announced everyone except for JYB, despite him still being in it.

I mean, JYB is probably the least I'd worry about not reprising a role over at Funimation. He's had a good track record of reprisals at Funi and it would be really funny if he missed out on this one considering how well known he is as Lelouch. So yeah, I'm looking forward to finding out who the ADR directors (The fact they got Kate Higgins back...) are.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Good news, though everyone should be aware that these familiar characters don't play a big role. They're more like guest stars than anything else, so I guess that made it easier to get the voice actors back. Not a lot of speech to record in this case.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Very nice! Great work Funi.

I really enjoyed the first couple of eps of this, can't wait to see the rest. Kazuki Akane looked like he did a really nice job on his Code Geass and I liked the new characters and enjoyed getting the story away from Lelouch stuff for the first time.

RANGIT wrote:

Yeah, just out of curiosity. JYB was the one I was most confident in since he's been back in a number of Funi dubs before, but Yuri and Kate were still a wild card.

Off-topic:
I'm also glad to see this since with Kate that's another of the old Eureka Seven cast (along with JYB and Stephanie Sheh who they got back for AO) that they will have worked with. I hope this means that they can work out the rest of the connections to be able to bring back as much of the old Bandai Eureka 7 cast, or just work out a deal with Bang Zoom, as possible when it's time to dub the upcoming new movies. That voice cast is pretty irreplaceable and most of them are still working so they should be available and that dub cast for fans (like me) I think is one of the major draws.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see they got Yuri & Kate back plus it should make getting them back for the new Code Geass series & movies easy to do whenever they get them.

smokeyjoey8 wrote:

That was because it was a broadcast dub and Itsuki wasn't introduced in the show until a few episodes later.

JYB will probably be the last person announced for this in a day or two.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Glad to see they got Yuri & Kate back plus it should make getting them back for the new Code Geass series & movies easy to do whenever they get them.

Yeah, this too.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
This news makes me very happy.
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Suzaku's part in Akito may be small but it made me like and understand his character so much more than original series (in which I disliked him and found him to be a bit of a farce of the stereotypical hot-headed justice-y shonen MC). Top-tier visuals notwithstanding, he might've been my favorite part of these OVA's.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
And there is much rejoicing, YAY! Actually, Yuri reprised his role as Pip Bernadotte in Hellsing Ultimate, so I figured Funimation would try to get him back and Code Geass is selling really well for Funimation, if only it hadn't been botched by bad audio problems, but I'm very happy.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
surprising since Yuri Lowenthal does mostly video games and American cartoons these days, and Kate Higgins never had any experience with Funimation from what I know, now if only she would have reprised her role as Saber in Fate zero and unlimited blade works series but that's neither here nor there
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
And there is much rejoicing, YAY! Actually, Yuri reprised his role as Pip Bernadotte in Hellsing Ultimate, so I figured Funimation would try to get him back and Code Geass is selling really well for Funimation, if only it hadn't been botched by bad audio problems, but I'm very happy.

Oh yeah, that's right plus probably also thanks to Taliesin Jaffe, thanks to how important the dub cast was to Hellsing's success.

Yeah, that flaw sucks, otherwise the release (was) would have been really good.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unknownsage13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation are paying union for this dub (kinda like they did with Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
Suzaku's part in Akito may be small but it made me like and understand his character so much more than original series ... Top-tier visuals notwithstanding, he might've been my favorite part of these OVA's.

This.

The two scenes between Suzaku and Lelouch are... amazing. And not just because I ship them ridiculously hard. (It's hard not to after the end of these OVAs, actually).

Lelouch actually has words in part 5, not just... astonished noises that Suzaku has. I am ready for JYB to destroy my emotions with Lulu's scenes.

That said... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went all... "Hmmm? Who's this ~mysterious Britannian strategist~? He looks familiar, you say? Well, he's so ~mysterious~ we don't even know who's voicing him~"

They did that in Japanese, sort of. They didn't announce anything beforehand, and all the merchandise had him as the ~secret option~, etc. I still have screenshots of the ANN article that was like, "Jun Fukuyama voices new character in Akito the Exiled part 2", with no indication that anything was up except for the picture of him.

And people who saw part 2 in theaters in Japan were not expecting him to show up at all. All of that came out after the movie.

So.... ball's in FUNi's court now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2