• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Yooka-Laylee

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raneth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Question for those who've played Yooka-Laylee.

spoiler[I've heard that at one point in the game you can fly. From what I've read you can fly "until your stamina drains." Can you then take off again when the stamina refills, like Tails in Sonic Adventure? Is it a free skill or can you only take off from certain points, like BK?]
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
As much as I like Yooka-Laylee, I can't disagree with any of the complaints I've read. As a backer and someone who never played any of Rare's 3D platformers, I'm very disappointed. Many of these tropes and practices have aged horribly, and the developers should have known this. The worst part is the characters. They go from silly to bland to derogatory the more you play.

Fans of Banjo-Kazooie love this game, unless they're harsh reviewers, then they hate it.

I hope this doesn't discourage Playtonic, this is a dying genre that needs more life. I hope they are willing to make a sequel (without a Kickstarter) and learn from these problems.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Surprised that they went full nostalgia-grab with Yooka-Laylee. As mentioned a game like Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge,mix old school mechanics with modern day ones into something fresh.

So nice to see Bayonetta get a great PC port, hopefully a Vanquish port ain't that far off.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Might No 9 and now Yooka Laylee. I wonder if people will stop supporting scammy Kickstarters anytime soon. They both had those PR controversies about Dina/Jontron too.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Might No 9 and now Yooka Laylee. I wonder if people will stop supporting scammy Kickstarters anytime soon.

You get the product you pay for......unless of course it involved some collectible items you were supposed to get with the game. Getting a quality product isn't guaranteed.

Lord Oink wrote:
both had those PR controversies about Dina/Jontron too.

Those controversies had nothing to do with the reception of either game.

ParaChomp wrote:

I hope this doesn't discourage Playtonic, this is a dying genre that needs more life. I hope they are willing to make a sequel (without a Kickstarter) and learn from these problems.

Platformers are a dying genre in large part because they've done everything over the course of their 30 plus year existence it doesn't help that there's an incredible amount of overlap.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Might No 9 and now Yooka Laylee. I wonder if people will stop supporting scammy Kickstarters anytime soon. They both had those PR controversies about Dina/Jontron too.

What was it about these two kickstarter campaigns you felt marked them out as scams? Was their failure really inevitable?
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Sure. they failed only because of that.

It's not that they are "scammy", it just failed to live to the people's expectation.

... Well, at least for Yooka-Laylee.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
If I had to name one thing that bothers me about Yooka Laylee, it's that the worlds feel "too big". I mean, I played the crap out of Banjo Kazooie, Tooie, and DK64, and as big as some of those levels were, I never really felt "lost" (save for maybe the dino level in Tooie) and knew basically where I was at in a level.
With YL, I have only played the first two worlds, mostly the first one, and everything looks the same. I like exploring in games, but I wish they had a map feature. Especially when you expand/upgrade the level.

Lord Oink wrote:

I wouldn't [quite] call Yooka Laylee "scammy", at least not on the same level as Mighty No. 9. Although,... from what I read about it on Reddit, the art book for the game was "disappointing", to say the least. And how some of the rewards/bonuses are getting released later instead of being available Day One.

Plus, as someone who backed it for the Wii U version, I am still quite "peeved" that they cancelled the Wii U [the version that they somewhat "hyped up" as being worked on by them directly, iirc] right before the game came out, so if you didn't have any other system (PS4, XBOne, game-friendly PC) or planned on buying a Switch beforehand, you were basically screwed on playing the game. But that could be a "blame Nintendo" situation.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I love the box art for Disney Afternoon Collection. They perfectly captured the 90's aesthetic with the white-and-cyan color scheme and wacky solid-color shapes. It looks like something out of Disney Adventures during that time.

Lord Oink wrote:

As far as crowdfunded games go, Shovel Knight, Freedom Planet, and the extra content in Skullgirls turned out very nice, and all three are model crowdfunded games with the former two recently becoming full-fledged franchises. Farsight Studios has also managed to successfully do four Kickstarter projects and, while they have release date issues, have always met what they promised they'd do. (We also have a few non-game crowdfunded appliances around our house.)

Crowdfunding is no different than any other sort of investment in this aspect: You'll get projects that live up to expectations, you'll have projects that barely don't reach them, and you'll have projects that don't reach them at all. The difference is that private investors are used to the latter two category whereas crowdfunders aren't and kind of expect everything to go sailing smoothly. Crowdfunding campaigns are scams less often than one might think, and it's pretty clear whenever that happens.

I have followed other projects, video games and other things, that get their money through non-traditional, non-crowdfunded investment, and their success rates are about the same as traditional investment and as crowdfunding.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Yooka-Laylee was never shady to the point of Mighty No. 9. There was a small delay and the final product is an acceptable (although VERY flawed) piece. Mighty No. 9 is a mess all the way through.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Platformers are a dying genre in large part because they've done everything over the course of their 30 plus year existence it doesn't help that there's an incredible amount of overlap.
True but games like Shovel Knight exist that take bits and pieces of the genre and improve on it. 2D platformers might be redundant but 3D platformers are rare.

Freyanne wrote:
I wouldn't [quite] call Yooka Laylee "scammy", at least not on the same level as Mighty No. 9. Although,... from what I read about it on Reddit, the art book for the game was "disappointing", to say the least. And how some of the rewards/bonuses are getting released later instead of being available Day One.
As someone who backed and got the digital artbook, it IS very disappointing. It's a retro manual with unnecessarily lengthy descriptions. It also includes very bland promotional artwork and design sketches that lack some much needed detailed narration. Like the game, it feels old and not in a good way.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
True but games like Shovel Knight exist that take bits and pieces of the genre and improve on it. 2D platformers might be redundant but 3D platformers are rare.

Well by the time 3D platformers had caught on the industry was starting to slowly move towards other genres. Plus it doesn't help that many of these games didn't age well.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Whoa, I love the box art for Disney Afternoon Collection. They perfectly captured the 90's aesthetic with the white-and-cyan color scheme and wacky solid-color shapes. It looks like something out of Disney Adventures during that time.

I know right? They totally nailed the look and feel to it.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I never really played Banjo Kazooie as a kid, I always saw it as a Mario 64 knock-off myself. In an ironic twist of fate, Mario Odyessy is supposed to go back to the 64 and Sunshine era of Mario, making Yooka Laylee a bit redundant.

-Stuart Smith[/url]
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well by the time 3D platformers had caught on the industry was starting to slowly move towards other genres. Plus it doesn't help that many of these games didn't age well.
They have but Super Mario 3D World has aged worse than Super Mario Galaxy 2 and part of it is due to the linear layout. The appeal is there

Stuart Smith wrote:
I never really played Banjo Kazooie as a kid, I always saw it as a Mario 64 knock-off myself. In an ironic twist of fate, Mario Odyessy is supposed to go back to the 64 and Sunshine era of Mario, making Yooka Laylee a bit redundant.

-Stuart Smith
The fact that a big company is making a collect-a-thon in today's day and age makes me really curious about it. Plus, my alias is enough of an indication that I'm excited.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
They have but Super Mario 3D World has aged worse than Super Mario Galaxy 2 and part of it is due to the linear layout. The appeal is there

Well Yooka-Laylee certainly isn't setting the charts on fire with it's throwback elements......ironically.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1