• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Are Those Flavored Breads In Japanese School Lunches?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Everytime I hear Anpan, I imagine Nagisa at the bottom of that hill... Crying or Very sad Laughing

I'm really interested in trying some of these out. The only issue is trying to get to Japan on my budget. One of these days Japan... one of these days *shakes fist in the air*
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
And thanks to Yakitate Japan, I have been aware of all of these for a while.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed that you took the time to describe melon pan yet failed to mention Satania from Gabriel Dropout.

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Everytime I hear Anpan, I imagine Nagisa at the bottom of that hill... Crying or Very sad Laughing

I'm really interested in trying some of these out. The only issue is trying to get to Japan on my budget. One of these days Japan... one of these days *shakes fist in the air*

You don't need to go to Japan. As the article says, you just need a large cosmopolitan city with a sizable Asian population. Any one of New York, L.A., San Francisco, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. will do.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't know how anybody stays skinny in that country.

C'mon, we all know (from watching H.S. anime) that everyone in Japan is a secret martial artist or kendo practitioner or the sole heir to some exotic fighting style/weapon/magical bento box. All that fighting must mean they work up quite an appetite.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Orlando is big enough, we've had a chance to try a number of these delights.

Mark Gosdin
Double Mangekyo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I am disappointed that you took the time to describe melon pan yet failed to mention Satania from Gabriel Dropout.

Honestly, whenever I read Melon pan all I can think of is Shakugan no Shana... Wink
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
A propos, I couldn't help but notice that a taiyaki retailer recently opened up near Chinatown. Given my fondness for Kanon, perhaps it behoves me to sample their ware.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Desa

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:
Honestly, whenever I read Melon pan all I can think of is Shakugan no Shana... Wink

SnS is where I first heard the term, since Shana just wouldn't stop talking about it like it was the best thing in the world. It was also my introduction to the Loli Tsundere Goddess, Rie Kugimiya. The Shana-tan specials were also probably the most hilarious mini animations I've seen even to this day. Those were good times.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Double Mangekyo wrote:

Or DearS... Cool Just imagine, Ren and Shana in a bakery and only one piece of melon pan left... Shocked

Last edited by Ouran High School Dropout on Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just, don't do it everyday, because nobody should really be eating these things every day.

When my husband and I visited Japan, we... ate this stuff nearly every day, mainly for breakfast. Melon pan from Lawson/Family Mart, taiyaki from mom-and-pop shops, cornets and other pastries from many, many train station bakeries... (º﹃º)

One thing we didn't get to try was yakisoba pan. Next time, then!

Fortunately, we live in the SF Bay Area and can get some of this stuff locally, but nothing beats eating in Japan.

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Mon May 01, 2017 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
There happens to be a more generalized Asian market and a more specialized Korean market I know about. At the one Chinese carryout I worked at years and years ago (which was run by Vietnamese actually) anything we didn't have delivered to the restaurant by vendors one of the chefs would pick up in one of the 2 markets. I'd often ask him to get various stuffed buns for me while there. I'd have them with some steamed rice and often vegetable soup the chefs made for lunch while we took a break from prep work in the morning. I do miss those buns.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
You don't need to go to Japan. As the article says, you just need a large cosmopolitan city with a sizable Asian population. Any one of New York, L.A., San Francisco, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. will do.

Reason why I said what I said is because of where I live which, understandably, you wouldn't know. If I'm going to spend money to go to a large metro area, I can save and use to go to Japan. (Full disclosure: I lived 40 mins away from Seattle for nearly 20 years, but live in an area of Florida now where large cities are not close).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In Japanese school cafeterias, particularly at the high school level, they occupy the same general psychological space as pizza does in American schools: they're what everyone really wants, and they're the first things to sell out.
What I've always wondered about this: in a country known for its order, politeness, etiquette, and all that, why is the "school bread store" shopping experience always a massive free-for-all scrum with everybody shouting orders at once? One might think it's dramatic exaggeration for the sake of denying food to shy characters, or having a bullying victim fail in their errand to pick up bread for their tormentors. But the portrayal is so invariable across so many shows that I have to think there's some truth to it.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Outside of melon pan (which I ate several times and tasted like a knock-off of a type of bread found in my country), I found most of Japanese bread to be either horrible - especially their white bread - or just very plain. Several people I met there who weren't Japanese and from all voer the world complained about it as well. It always felt that, unless you were Japanese and had grown up eating it, you'd find it to be several times worse than whatever you ate back in your own home country.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Japanese breads are the best. They don't sit in your stomach well after you gorge down a bunch of them as usual of most of their foods. Even then, I'd say that just going to some Asian store for those would be different. There's a difference in the texture and the filling that Korean and Chinese melon pan use that sets them apart from their Japanese counterpart in taste, for instance. I know this since my area has a lot of Korean bakeries and I know people who give me the ones from Japan as gifts.

Nagsura wrote:
Outside of melon pan (which I ate several times and tasted like a knock-off of a type of bread found in my country), I found most of Japanese bread to be either horrible - especially their white bread - or just very plain. Several people I met there who weren't Japanese and from all voer the world complained about it as well. It always felt that, unless you were Japanese and had grown up eating it, you'd find it to be several times worse than whatever you ate back in your own home country.

I don't know how you've come to that conclusion unless your taste in bread is on the side of the crunchy, "wholesome" side. I certainly prefer breads they make over my home country, which apes a lot from Spanish bread which I think are dry and tasteless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4