• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2017 Manga Guide

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Very cool. Is there a list of planned titles to review? Generally one can figure out what anime will appear in the guide but it's a little trickier here, it'd be nice to know what's coming up.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
holy crap this is awesome. I never even thought ya'll would do something like this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Very cool. Is there a list of planned titles to review? Generally one can figure out what anime will appear in the guide but it's a little trickier here, it'd be nice to know what's coming up.

We have a complete list, but I thought people might enjoy the surprise every day. Let me get some more feedback on this.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
This has been a pretty great year for "Volume Ones". I've bought/pre-ordered a number of new titles, including:

Flying Witch
Dragon Ball Super
Gabriel Dropout
Alice & Zoroku
The Promised Neverland
Mikagura School Suite

So far, I enjoyed Flying Witch and thought Dragon Ball Super was acceptable (although it has some severely inconsistent pacing).
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
This is awesome. I'm usually slow to pick up or get into manga, preferring to wait until more is out, but this will be a fun way to see what's out and what reviewers think.

It's probably more interesting to see what this guide gets updated with each day, versus seeing a list. It's kind of like what makes the cut.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I was just thinking the other day that there's less manga criticism here than there used to be, so this is a welcome development Smile Looking forward to the upcoming reviews!
Merida

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
That's a really cool new feature! I hope it's going to become a regular one with more reviewers taking part over time. Smile
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Saffire wrote:

We have a complete list, but I thought people might enjoy the surprise every day. Let me get some more feedback on this.
It's not a huge problem either way, to be clear. It's just something that jumped out at me right away because it creates a bit of a disconnect between how I approach the anime season guide and this one. Usually for the anime guide, I make a point of knowing when specific shows I'm interested in will air so that I have a general idea when their reviews will be available. I tried doing that here and immediately realized that I have no idea what even came out in the last couple months, lol. (Then immediately disappointed myself by checking on Chihayafuru v1 and remembering it was in February.)

It's more exciting for me knowing that something I'm interested in is coming up rather than trying to guess at it. But again, it's not anything close to a dealbreaker if other opinions are against me. I'm super excited that it's happening at all.
Calico

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice. I've always wanted more manga content on this site, so I'm glad you guys are trying this out. I don't have much to say on the current titles, other than that one character's speech tic in Ghost Diary sounding extremely annoying. I can't wait till the reviewers get to Delicious in Dungeon and hopefully Girls' Last Tour, which looks interesting but I want to hear some other opinions on first.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome. More manga content is always welcome and this will be useful for those of us whose budgets are constrained.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of it being a surprise seems interesting. So I'd rather just be surprised instead of having a list knowing what is coming. Personally I'm just happy to have some Manga review and coverage back on the site again.

I pre-ordered The Water Dragon's Bride's first four volumes but have yet to read the first volume as I want to get a few more volumes before I read it. Mostly I just got it because I liked Rei Toma's previous series.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Reading the reviews for Ghost Diary, it seems the reviewers want a clean and sanitized fairy tale.

So if you like fan service read it, and if you don't like fan service don't read it.

I like the plot and fan service, so I will be reading it.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I've always been more into manga then anime, so i'm loving this new idea, though I hope this doesn't replace full reviews of individual manga. Of all of these, I've read Bride of the Water Dragon, but didn't find the main character half as annoying as some other child characters in manga. I liked the way she acted, feeling it was about right for how a modern chilfd thrown into that situation would react. I'm excited to see how it continues, and when the time jump happens.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, nice. Kinda a surprise this hadn't been thought of ages back.

Anyway, Tsuredure Children is one of my favourite manga. Katori is the best.
(as you can see from my avatar)

Last edited by harminia on Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, I like this! I'm definitely curious to try and check out Tsuredure Children now.

I'm curious, will there only be coverage for series which have their first volumes being released in this time frame, or will it there be mentions of series that are releasing fourth/fifth+ volumes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4