• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of June 3-9 [2017-06-14]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to see Natsume go down in the weeklies, but up in the overall rankings. I attribute it to the incredibly strong Hero and Baha Soul episodes.

As is traditional for these rankings, the only show this season that is a contender for my own personal favorite anime of the year - Alice & Zoroku - will probably end up just outside of the top ten after all is said and done.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed how bad Sword Oratoria's been doing overall. I've no idea what in particular this episode did so bad (not sure I even want to know either), but damn. On the other hand, somehow Sagrada Reset had an episode that apparently wasn't all that bad? Either that or everyone bailed out and only the one person enjoying the show is now rating it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I just noticed how bad Sword Oratoria's been doing overall. I've no idea what in particular this episode did so bad (not sure I even want to know either), but damn.

I'm thinking we can blame a certain clingy, obnoxiously jealous elf for the drop
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
People have been so mixed on it that I don't know if I'm even going to bother with Sword Oratoria. Honestly, I was only slightly interested in it to begin with, but spending more time with the characters from the main show would have been nice. I still kind of hope we get a second season of that...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
At the start of the season I was not expecting much from Sword Oratoria because Aiz was such a boring character in Danmachi S1. The start to Sword Oratoria was rough because it was too obsessed with yuri shenanigans and boob jokes. But around episode 5 things improved dramatically when the show became a sort of detective story and even Aiz has become kind of interesting.

I do miss Hestia, but right know I am liking Sword Oratoria more than Danmachi S1. I hope Sword Oratoria has a solid conclusion, and hopefully we will see a sequel for the first season of Danmachi in the near future.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
To me, Sword Oratoria has been the most disappointing sequel (spinoff, whatever), though I wouldn't say it is a bad show. I will agree that the last several episodes (aside from the most recent) have been better than the start but to me even the best of Sword Oratoria isn't as good as the first season was, particularly when it comes to animation. Hopefully the last episode was just a hiccup and it will be back to what it has been and finish strong, and we'll get a second season of the main storyline. I guess the moral of the story is don't go into it with high expectations.

killjoy_the wrote:
On the other hand, somehow Sagrada Reset had an episode that apparently wasn't all that bad? Either that or everyone bailed out and only the one person enjoying the show is now rating it.

Eh, it was better than usual but only marginally. It was actually weirdly high for the first day or so (like 4.6 Confused). I don't know who's rating it that highly but it sure ain't me. I don't think Sagrada Reset's second half will be picked up for review next season, though it hasn't gotten to the point that the reviewer is practically begging not to review it, so it could be worse, I guess.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
If Oratoria has a good conclusion, I guess that's one thing we can add in its favor. The main series ended about as good as it could've, but it was still clearly just a small tidbit of a bigger story. I'll be willing to watch the whole thing if it ends nicely. I've seen a few clips on sakugabooru. It's not as good as some of the highlights from season one, but there are some nice pieces of work there.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Sword Oratoria is doing pretty good in Japan. At least in the streaming sites. On the last information it was #4 overall.

But i agree, i was hopping for more. But is difficult to follow up on something that's pretty good as Danmachi. Aiz is not a show off character, so is pretty difficult to make a interesting story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1