• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ad Pop-ups that redirect to other sites

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
This is off topic but whenever I click on an article or go into the forums on Anime News Network a Congradulations! You won pop up shows up and redirects me to a website that says I won a free gift card. This happens on the ipad/safari. I am sorry if I am causing problems reporting this here.
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
SonicFanA wrote:
This is off topic but whenever I click on an article or go into the forums on Anime News Network a Congradulations! You won pop up shows up and redirects me to a website that says I won a free gift card. This happens on the ipad/safari. I am sorry if I am causing problems reporting this here.

I had the same problem (also iPad/Safari). I suspect an ad is planting a cookie or something with a redirect to that scammy site.

Try this: close all tabs, close and force-quit Safari (the swipe-up thing), turn on airplane mode, start Safari and try to load some other site like Google (it will complain you are not connected to the Internet), close and force-quit Safari again, go to Settings and clear Safari's cache, cookies, and website data, then turn off airplane mode and see if the problem is fixed.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Sorry lebrel that did not work. Thanks though. I am wondering if it is an ad couldn't they just remove the ad if it is causing problems? I wonder if they are aware of the problem.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
SonicFanA wrote:
Sorry lebrel that did not work. Thanks though. I am wondering if it is an ad couldn't they just remove the ad if it is causing problems? I wonder if they are aware of the problem.

Concerns like this should properly be posted in the Feedback forum, as they have nothing to do directly with the topic of this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
SonicFanA wrote:

I get this on Android too. Reading this site on a tablet is too much of a pain with scammy popups, and ANN really need to monitor their ads for that garbage.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Split these posts from the Summer Previews guide so that they're given visibility.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1