• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Studio Ghibli's Full Catalog for Blu-ray/DVD Release

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this is a great get for GKIDS. But I imagine that by this point everyone has bought the BD/DVD releases from Disney.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I suppose this is a great get for GKIDS. But I imagine that by this point everyone has bought the BD/DVD releases from Disney.

Maybe, but Disney never gave us a Yamadas BD. This article also says GKIDS will be providing the subtitles, which sounds like the discs will have proper subs and not dubtitles like Disney's.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I've only got some old DVDs that came out in my country ages ago and for the longest time I've thought that I should update my collection with better versions but just couldn't be bothered. This seems like a good opportunity to do so, provided that the subs are actually subs and not dubtitles (from what I understand, this was a problem on some earlier releases?). But the article makes it sound like that might be a pointless worry.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Since it mentions French subtitles, I'm guessing they've licensed the StudioCanal releases?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The company will re-release all the titles on Blu-ray Disc and DVD, starting with Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Ponyo, and Princess Mononoke on October 21, followed by Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind on October 31 and My Neighbors the Yamadas in early 2018.

1 Suddenly, all those Disney Ghibli sale prices make sense.
2 So? I could see the point of a full box set followed by separate individual releases... properly spaced out naturally... but a mass release of titles that are already flooding the market? Beyond making a statement of "Look what we got!", I don't get it.

As for the subtitles/dubtitles issue, I hardly expect most people will even notice the difference in the two releases, let alone the difference in the subtitles. It's not as if the hardcore fan were Disney's intended audience anyway.

Still, should really make a dent in the secondary market. Or not. Probably not. Seriously, how long will it take for all those Disney copies to sell out?
nagpo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I already imported all the BD's from the english japanese/honkong releases. Works for me since I don't care about dubs.

But I do hope Gkids got the rights to the animated shorts and release those in a separate collection. Would be great to have those.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Maybe, but Disney never gave us a Yamadas BD. This article also says GKIDS will be providing the subtitles, which sounds like the discs will have proper subs and not dubtitles like Disney's.

IIRC, only Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service suffered from dubtitle issues. The rest are fine.

Also, before anybody screams of how Ghibli is "finally saved from the Devil", remember that without Disney, audiences wouldn't even know about Ghibli. It was John Lasseter who insisted that the films be released, and he has a friendship with Miyazaki. You can disagree with some of the choices they made when presenting the movies to audiences, but without Lasseter or Disney, Ghibli wouldn't find a following in America. Period.

EDIT: Also, from what I understand on the Twitter, Disney didn't sell off the U.S. rights to GKids.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I hope they use the original Totoro dub..
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
It would be nice to have that dub alongside the Disney one so that viewers can decide for themselves.
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Might consider buying them again in Blu-Ray. I mean, I have the really old DVD versions of Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service and Princess Mononoke.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
Maybe, but Disney never gave us a Yamadas BD.

True: Disney was so caught up on marketing "Ghibli = Miyazaki = Kiki/Spirited" to kids and parents, they let most of the Isao Takahata movies go hang after the first Ghibli releases--
Unless they had marketable kid appeal like Pon Poko, or the "other director" movies like The Cat Returns and Arietty.

Quote:
This article also says GKIDS will be providing the subtitles, which sounds like the discs will have proper subs and not dubtitles like Disney's.

Look carefully at the Subtitle menus, and you'll notice that "English" and "English (Captioned for the Hearing-Impaired)" are not the same thing. The second one tells you what you would be hearing if you watched the dub.

That said, will GKIDS "inherit" Disney's celebrity dubs, like Discotek often does with ADV's old 90's dubs, or will they have to be re-produced?
Which GKIDS does have some experience with, qv. From Up on Poppy Hill.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This is a strange announcement, given that several of the Disney-licensed movies only had a Blu-ray release in the last couple of years. I grabbed up a ton of them in the big sale that Best Buy et al. had a few months ago, and honestly at this point I feel like snagging the rest to have a matching set.
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I haven't started collecting the Ghibli movies yet, so this might be an option for me.
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

IIRC, only Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky, and Kiki's Delivery Service suffered from dubtitle issues. The rest are fine.

Also, before anybody screams of how Ghibli is "finally saved from the Devil", remember that without Disney, audiences wouldn't even know about Ghibli. It was John Lasseter who insisted that the films be released, and he has a friendship with Miyazaki. You can disagree with some of the choices they made when presenting the movies to audiences, but without Lasseter or Disney, Ghibli wouldn't find a following in America. Period.

EDIT: Also, from what I understand on the Twitter, Disney didn't sell off the U.S. rights to GKids.

True, although ironically, I got into Ghibli through the Fox Lorber dub of My Neighbor Totoro, as well as fansubbed VHS copies of other Ghibli films--in my university's anime club back in the late 1990's (which, at the time, was the only way to see many of these films). That said, I might pick up these new DVD's (or Blu-Rays, we'll see) when the price drops a few/several years from now.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I only watch subtitled versions, so the dubtitling screw-up by Disney was a big deal for me. Assuming GKIDS gets it right and doesn't repeat the Disney screw-up, I'll be double-dipping on most of these titles and tossing the Disney versions I own.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5