• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass Compilation Film Trilogy Reveals Visual, Teaser Video, Dates

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Hiyama Nobuyuki will play Tamaki in this trilogy, and presumably the new television series. This is one of those no-brainers considering how often he plays similar roles and sounds like Tanaka Kazunari.

I can't imagine cramming fifty episodes into three films would work out, but I'll be interested in seeing any new scenes that are included. I want muh Lelouch x Kallen to come to fruition!
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hearing Colors in that video brought a smile to my face. Those visuals look amazing as expected of Kimura. The start of the longest wait now begins. Wish they took out those not originally planned R2 material to and used the new scenes to tell some of the originally planned story before the meddling happened.

Can't wait for that story on Kallen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
FUNi... someone... please... get this out so we don't get spoilers.

Also, check the recent merchandise. If Lulu gets with anyone, it's going to be Suzaku.
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:

I can't imagine cramming fifty episodes into three films would work out, but I'll be interested in seeing any new scenes that are included.

To be sure, I think they can easily remove a ton of material from R2 in particular. That's probably the easiest part of the entire story to streamline, especially if you use some of the new scenes as improved connecting material.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

I can't imagine cramming fifty episodes into three films would work out, but I'll be interested in seeing any new scenes that are included.

To be sure, I think they can easily remove a ton of material from R2 in particular. That's probably the easiest part of the entire story to streamline, especially if you use some of the new scenes as improved connecting material.

As much as I would like to see the original storyline, I'd kind of hate to lose R2 as it did have some nice ideas. I'd prefer actual episodes, which I think would be a sustainable OVA.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
These aren't even going to be reanimated? Didn't we get compilation films of the two seasons with added scenes just like this before?
jroa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
[As much as I would like to see the original storyline, I'd kind of hate to lose R2 as it did have some nice ideas. I'd prefer actual episodes, which I think would be a sustainable OVA.

I don't think they'll make the R2-era portions completely unrecognizable, to be honest, but they are still quite vulnerable to becoming the most altered ones. Which leads me to expect that the third film may end up having the most new animation, while the other two could ostensibly get away with keeping a higher percentage of reused footage. This is only my assumption and not anything that we can treat as confirmation.

pajmo9 wrote:
These aren't even going to be reanimated? Didn't we get compilation films of the two seasons with added scenes just like this before?

To be accurate, not exactly. Special Edition Black Rebellion and Special Edition Zero Requiem have absolutely no new footage. Just some re-recorded monologues as narration. More importantly, those were simply a couple of two hour compilations released for the direct-to-video market back in the 2007-2009 period. Those were actually edited by subordinates, not the original staff that was busy working on the TV show.

Specifically, Shigeru Morita talked about how he handled the structure of the Special Edition: Zero Requiem compilation during an interview about the Yamato 2199 compilation movie:
Quote:
Morita: That’s right. I met all of the production staff while working on Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2. It was a compilation film spun around emotional lines of the main characters, with a fairly distorted structure that could be hard to follow. At first, I wondered if 2199 could use this technique.

http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/914/

Now, this is apparently going to be different enough, because these will be three films with a theater release, which means they will in fact have new scenes and presumably a higher total running time. I would also be willing to bet that for this project the editing choices will also differ, specifically in terms of what to keep and what to remove, precisely because Taniguchi and Okouchi are directly involved.
Nyren

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
Hiyama Nobuyuki will play Tamaki in this trilogy, and presumably the new television series. This is one of those no-brainers considering how often he plays similar roles and sounds like Tanaka Kazunari.

I can't imagine cramming fifty episodes into three films would work out, but I'll be interested in seeing any new scenes that are included. I want muh Lelouch x Kallen to come to fruition!
I can't really think of any 50 episode series turned compilation films, with only 3 movies, that were worth watching over the show. Gundam did 3 films numerous times and each time it felt way too rushed, but any series that got 4 films(I think only SEED Destiny did), usually had a better go of it since more material could be covered.

I'm personally hoping the third film has an extended ending that bridges R2 and R3. Like, keep it the way it was, but add some changes here or there that allows R3 to happen. Like that fan theory about the cart driver at the end being Lelouch.
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
I can't really think of any 50 episode series turned compilation films, with only 3 movies, that were worth watching over the show. Gundam did 3 films numerous times and each time it felt way too rushed, but any series that got 4 films(I think only SEED Destiny did), usually had a better go of it since more material could be covered.

A lot depends on the running time as well as on other factors. Most Gundam compilation films, with only the notable exception of the original Gundam trilogy as far as I can recall, aren't made to be shown in theaters (unless you count Tomino's own anachronistic Zeta: A New Translation). At least none of the Gundam 00 or SEED compilations were. Like the others, I believe they just released those on home video after all.

Besides, as I was saying above...they already did the direct-to-video compilations in this case. Which establishes a different set of expectations and circumstances. And to be quite frank, Code Geass has a lot of material, especially but not only in R2, that can afford to be trimmed with the benefit of hindsight while still keeping the core story. If Sunrise/Bandai are smart about making money, they'll want to make sure the compilations will be worth watching, to a greater or lesser degree, through differentiation.

Quote:
I'm personally hoping the third film has an extended ending that bridges R2 and R3. Like, keep it the way it was, but add some changes here or there that allows R3 to happen. Like that fan theory..

There are various reasons to consider that as less of a "fan theory" than what it seemed but at this point it's becoming rather pointless to argue, either way, since we will get an answer.
dark13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
a reminder that code Geass is a mecha anime, I get the impression when people start watching this there gonna go " WAS THIS REALLY I MECHA ANIME ? I FORGOT ABOUT THAT" well of course did you think they fought with lightsabers >_>
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote
well now, sunrise really mastered the art of hype.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

I'm personally hoping the third film has an extended ending that bridges R2 and R3. Like, keep it the way it was, but add some changes here or there that allows R3 to happen. Like that fan theory about the cart driver at the end being Lelouch.

In terms of structure, I thought the film trilogy for the first Gundam series worked. There were obviously a lot of problems with the directing and animation, but I otherwise felt like the big points were neatly placed. If they have been entirely reanimated from scratch and had a better director they would've been much better for what they were trying to accomplish.

Thanks to Crunchyroll I'm in a middle of my third re-watch of Code Geass in the past twelve or so months. Each time I watch it the more I am fascinated by how well each episode it put together on a script level. The layouts and animation also ratchet it up bit by bit, but I think the real weapon of choice is the sound direction. The music if, of course of high quality and memorability, but the placement is also what really works. The vocal songs create such a melancholic atmosphere that it's hard not to get caught up in them. I'm drastically afraid that Fukkatsu no Lelouch won't have such tight sound direction or that worse yet, the music from the initial run won't be employed. The voice cast is another big plus. Fukuyama Jun defined his career with this role of Lelouch. I can't imagine the character without him, he creates such a smug, passionate fucker. One cannot help but gravitate to him.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:

Nice to see a fellow Lelouch/Kallen shipper here! How about a marriage for them this time!
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:

Nice to see a fellow Lelouch/Kallen shipper here! How about a marriage for them this time!

Of course! Kallen is great in general because of the massive amounts of gap moe. She's a tough, serious and reliable ace character, so she's entertaining in the respect that she can do cool things and contribute to the plot. Conversely, it's also incredibly entertaining to see her forced to play the role of a weak, fragile ojou-sama! Indeed, I feel great satisfaction seeing her in compromising positions, whether it's with her hair down and her eyes lacking spark or in a bunny suit. All that aside, though, the most satisfying position to see her in was how she would break from her usual character of being so independent from everyone else by being so loyal to Zero. I can easily picture a side story retelling of the last few episodes where Kallen had thrown away her pride and become empress of the world alongside Lelouch. Kallen in sporty combat clothes brings to mind "Ah, yes, this is how she dresses", but Kallen in elaborate and girly dresses also incurs thoughts of "Yes, this is even better!"! In those respects, I really want to see her succeed and obtain a relationship of both flesh and romance with Lelouch.
Sentinel07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
At this point, I just wonder if FUNimation is going to dub these movies.

They didn't for Attack on Titan, despite the popularity of that series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1