• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Tamako Love Story

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I was quite taken by Tamako Love Story. It was a fine example of Naoko Yamada's love for using limbs as modes of human expression, and generally rather charming as slice-of-life films fare. It does need a denouement though. Such an effort is made to heighten the tension of its climax that the lack of anything afterwards strikes me as a missed opportunity. The drastic mood just doesn't have time to settle, something with which the (admittedly excellent) ending theme struggles to compensate. Had a scene or two been cut to accommodate a lingering moment at this crucial point, then the story's capacity to satisfy might have been far more immediate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
I absolutely adore the movie, so much so that I'm actually buying the Blu Ray despite not picking up the TV series.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I ordered the movie without watching it, not because it's a Kyoto Animation movie or because it's a sequel to a series which I own and kind of like but because of Tamako herself.

Let's see if I can explain this; The series is about how everyone reacts or reaches out to Tamako while her role is just take it all in and make a decision at the...

Wait, that's Madoka and I have zero interest in watching Rebellion even if it's been in my Netflix queue for years now. Oh right, Rebellion is about negating that single choice while Love Story is, hopefully, about what comes next. I feel Tamako in the TV show came to a conclusion without having to consider anything her present life. "I'll just keep everything as is... for now." at the cost of nothing, possibly the bird but I'm not sure he counts. I want to know if there's anything she wants or she's happy with just what's handed to her.

Also, it won't cost me half a year of BD purchases to own. And it's a Kyoto animation movie to a series I already own and kind of like.... which does put it ahead of Beyond the Boundary.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
You'll like the film, then. It mainly focuses on how she deals with a big change in her life that she can't simply brush aside.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I ordered the movie without watching it, not because it's a Kyoto Animation movie or because it's a sequel to a series which I own and kind of like but because of Tamako herself.

I think you'll like this film. Wink

To be honest, I f*cking love this show and the film. I recognize some of the structural issues, and can certainly understand why some might find Dera annoying(I kind of found him endearing after a while, to be honest). But Tamako is the perfect summation of everything that I want in the ideal moe character. Before anyone gets creeped out, come on, for real, you know she's perfect!(okay, that probably didn't help my case...) And I grew incredibly attached to her wonderful optimism, sense of responsibility, thoughtfulness, kindness, etc. Not that any of these are particularly rare traits in anime girls that are intended to be "moe", but, perhaps thanks to Reiko Yoshida's writing combined with Naoko Yamada's excellent direction, she actually felt like a real person as well! This show ended up charming me to my core because of how Tamako and her companions were so humanly, and adorably, written. And the film's little "Love Story" was the perfect icing on the cake.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Always felt Tamako's Love Story did a lot of things that the series really should have done but didn't.

Then again, I always wanted the spinoff series of shorts where people go into the coffee shop and talk about their problems, so the guy makes them a really good cup of coffee, dispenses some wisdom and then plays an excellent record.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the English dub cast for Tamako Love Story hasn't been put in here yet. Before I read the review, I thought the home release was sub only for a minute there.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Really missing the Shelf portion of this column. I enjoy looking at other people's collections. Had I shelves instead of several Itoya Profolios filled with production artwork, I would have submitted mine.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Really missing the Shelf portion of this column. I enjoy looking at other people's collections. Had I shelves instead of several Itoya Profolios filled with production artwork, I would have submitted mine.

Well, with the site hack and uncertainty about what email addresses to use, it's understandable that submissions would be down right now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1