• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Silent Voice English Dub Clip Features Lexi Cowden as Shoko

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, that sounded...interesting. Smile
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Having seen the sub already, I like this! It sounds really authentic considering the actress is actually deaf. She can be hard to understand at times, much more than Saori Hayami, but I like that.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I've already seen this subbed, pirated, but now the question is: Why isn't this on Amazon.ca for me to pre-order right now? :/
Vannil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Ashley Hakker wrote:
I've already seen this subbed, pirated, but now the question is: Why isn't this on Amazon.ca for me to pre-order right now? :/

Its not even on US amazon or even right stuf. for a release that is so close, you'd think there would at least be a listing on one of the two.
Ashley Hakker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:

Its not even on US amazon or even right stuf. for a release that is so close, you'd think there would at least be a listing on one of the two.

Yeah, it's weird. I had assumed that American Amazon would at least have it. Hrm. I pirated Your Name to watch it this summer with friends but I have it pre-ordered on Amazon and waiting for it to ship in a month, no problem.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:

Because it's a UK release. A US release hasn't been announced yet.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Lexi sounds fantastic.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
She definitely did a great job. It sounded similarly to both how deaf people in my life spoke and also the Japanese performance. I don't generally watch dubs, but if I get the physical release, I'll definitely check it out
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
sounds like they did a good job, outside of Shoko being hard to listen to. then again, the only deaf people I've heard speak were actors who've had years of practice.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
SnowWarren wrote:
Vannil wrote:
Ashley Hakker wrote:

Because it's a UK release. A US release hasn't been announced yet.

We get our release in New Zealand soon as well Smile (December to be precise)
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
....Wow. I figured Lexi Cowden's performance would be well done, but this just blew me away! It really was a wise choice, making a deaf actress voice Shoko. Now, if only this movie would get a U.S. release on DVD....
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 pm Reply with quote
This makes me appreciate more both Cowden as a deaf actress who decided to voice-act and Hayami who without deafness voiced a deaf character. I think both gave their best effort and showed excellent performances.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Lexi's performance and the rest of the English voice cast have convinced me to watch this show. Stellar performance so far, great direction too as far as I can judge at this point!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Vibrant Wolf wrote:
sounds like they did a good job, outside of Shoko being hard to listen to. then again, the only deaf people I've heard speak were actors who've had years of practice.

I mean........ Shoko is not and has never been a fluid speaker so idk why you’re criticizing that. But I guess it’s different listening to her vs. reading the manga so I’ll give you that. But now I know this is definitely a gateway movie given your response to her.

I feel the actress captured her nicely.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
This sounds pretty great so far! I'm really torn, though... I would love to order the set with the posters from alltheanime but the BD won't be region A. I could watch the DVD and be ok with that, but not being able to watch the BD would make half the set useless. The book included seems like a nice piece and the posters would be nice to own, but maybe a North American release might have something as equally tempting? I really wish some NA distributor would already announce their package for this film... decisions decisions...

-Marc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3