• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny English Dub Reveals More Cast

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macattack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Lisa Ortiz was about the last person I expected to play Natarle Badgiruel. I really, really hope this choice works out because Ortiz's typical voice would work for Natarle like oil mixes with water.

That being said, Trevor Duvall not returning as Mu La Flaga is disappointing, but I can't say I didn't expect him to be recast too.

Overall, much like the first cast release, this is an interesting mix of newer and veteran names, including a few VAs I've never heard of. This ought to be a really interesting dub.

Last edited by macattack on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
so I'm guessing I missed something but why exactly is SEED and Seed Destiny being redubbed?
immortal1982

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
so I'm guessing I missed something but why exactly is SEED and Seed Destiny being redubbed?

Quite simply, the shows were re-edited in such a way when they were put out in hd, that there is no way to use the original dub. New scenes, rearranged scenes and in Destiny 's case, I believe they cut the episode count. Basically it's 4 different shows.
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 am Reply with quote
Hmm... They can dub SEED, but they won't dub stuff like Turn A or older UC shows (even X, for that matter...). I really would have loved a dub for Turn A, at the very least. While I never really cared for SEED (watched it the whole first series on Adult Swim, and never had any interest in checking Destiny out), I can certainly respect fans of it.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:11 am Reply with quote
So much for some of the "old voices" returning. Literally everyone's been recast. Not a surprise given how this is being produced, but I don't understand that Otakon comment.

Clearly Crunchyroll needs to dub the backlog of Gintama episodes so Ocean can do the Gundam parodies.

MagusGuardian wrote:

The HD versions of both shows were re-edited in a way that would make layering the existing dubs difficult. It's not impossible (I believe fans have managed to edit the existing audio to work with the footage), but it seems that's not the path Sunrise wants to go down.

As for why Sunrise didn't bother to get Ocean to re-dub the show, well, Sunrise is being cheap. They wouldn't even make this a union LA dub to try to get Trevor Devall back as La Flaga (he's lived in LA for a few years now).
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
immortal1982 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

Quite simply, the shows were re-edited in such a way when they were put out in hd, that there is no way to use the original dub. New scenes, rearranged scenes and in Destiny 's case, I believe they cut the episode count. Basically it's 4 different shows.

The article says that the remastered SEED is 48 episodes, so that's down 2 episodes from the original. Nothing about Destiny.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Lisa Ortiz was about the last person I expected to play Natarle Badgiruel. I really, really hope this choice works out because Ortiz's typical voice would work for Natarle like oil mixes with water.

I don't know anything about the show but I do know of a show that features Lisa Ortiz in multiple roles both under fake names; One is "Look, I know who that is, it's Ortiz. It's abundantly Ortiz" and the other was... amazing. Don't just take my word for it, here's a quote from the review on this site:

Quote:
Amongst recurring roles, [fake name]'s sultry-voiced take on Echidna continues to be the stand-out performance.

It's a deep commanding voice that sounds nothing like the typical Ortiz role.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
Trevor Duvall and Mark Oliver not returning has to be the worst thing ever. These two are what made SEED so great for me. Their performances are some of the best ever imo. I don't know if I'll get these new releases.
Panon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
The article says that the remastered SEED is 48 episodes, so that's down 2 episodes from the original. Nothing about Destiny.

Destiny has the same overall number of episodes (50) but that's because one original episode is removed and a new one added.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
I really wish Rau's Ocean voice returned but otherwise I'm really excited for this new cast since I found the Ocean dub very mixed in quality. Its watchable but lacking.

Animegomaniac wrote:

It's a deep commanding voice that sounds nothing like the typical Ortiz role.

Yeah she can do deeper tones. I think her Maetel was? Although its been a long time since I've seen Maetel Legend & Harlock Saga.
anifani

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hmm... They can dub SEED, but they won't dub stuff like Turn A or older UC shows (even X, for that matter...). I really would have loved a dub for Turn A, at the very least.

I absolutely agree. I would love to see a dub for After War Gundam X..... then Turn A.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
Gundam0084 wrote:
Hmm... They can dub SEED, but they won't dub stuff like Turn A or older UC shows (even X, for that matter...). I really would have loved a dub for Turn A, at the very least. While I never really cared for SEED (watched it the whole first series on Adult Swim, and never had any interest in checking Destiny out), I can certainly respect fans of it.

I don't think Bandai and Sunrise cares that much about going back and dubbing Turn A, X, ZZ or Victory. That's a lot of money to throw at those shows apparently, now something that is a little bit more newer like the remastered versions of Seed and Destiny that's fine for them to re-dub. And that's why they are doing this. And X well it wasn't even very well received in it's home country.

I mean Turn A I wish Bandai had tried to dub and sell back when Wing was popular and they were trying to release all of the Gundam shows they could to the US, but apparently I guess they thought it was too weird or something to sell.

I know Victory was probably thought to be either too old or too depressing to dub or sell back in the early 00s, similarly ZZ was thought to be too old and their release of Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 and Zeta had been rather lukewarm as I heard.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Trevor Duvall and Mark Oliver not returning has to be the worst thing ever. These two are what made SEED so great for me. Their performances are some of the best ever imo. I don't know if I'll get these new releases.

I can live without Mark Oliver's ham on the English Dub, I mean Kevin T. Collins is a pretty good voice actor anyway.
Now when they get to Destiny, I would love if they cast Keith Silverstein as Gilbert Durandal, just that would be really in step with the Japanese voice casting considering both have voiced Char Aznable (not to mention Full Frontal in Unicorn) in past things. They probably will pick someone else but if I was picking re-dub cast members for Destiny.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

Now when they get to Destiny, I would love if they cast Keith Silverstein as Gilbert Durandal, just that would be really in step with the Japanese voice casting considering both have voiced Char Aznable (not to mention Full Frontal in Unicorn) in past things. They probably will pick someone else but if I was picking re-dub cast members for Destiny.

That would be great and an improvement over the Ocean dub. Ted Cole was really miscast in that role, his voice was not deep enough and made that character sound weak to be honest.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
What sacrilege is this~! The Gundam dubs have always been really solid, was it really that hard to get most of the cast to return?

It's not like this is a new series with a deadline it's simply a HD re-release with a few extra scenes. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5