• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Why You Should Watch Blood Blockade Battlefront

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Blood Battlefront Blockade is one of my favorite shows ever. It seemed like not many people state-side cared much about it a couple years back, but i'm glad more people are starting to appreciate it. I haven't gotten around to watching any of the new shows this season, but BBB&B will absolutely be on my weekly watch schedule.

(BTW my personal favorite episode is the one where Klaus plays absurdly complicated chess against an eldritch horror. Those visuals make my jaw drop, and it's a great view into Klaus's character.)
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd be watching it right now, but I love the English dub cast too much to watch the sub. Thankfully, the Simuldub premieres this Saturday! Very Happy
Levonr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I'd be watching it right now, but I love the English dub cast too much to watch the sub. Thankfully, the Simuldub premieres this Saturday! Very Happy

Yeah I adore the dub so I can't wait. I'm glad its a broadcast dub and we didn't have to wait over a year for the blu-ray.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
As much as I loved the first season I was surprised to find that this was the sequel I was looking forward to the least out of those airing right now. If this had been aired last season I probably would have watched it, but in a season as busy as the current one I'm afraid I just can't muster the enthusiasm. And I can't even say I'm a fan of Matsumoto; I guess I'm more of an anti-fan of Nightow, and nothing I've heard about the current show so far has convinced me that his trademarks (like the comedy or the wanton violence and destruction as an aesthetic choice) will be easier to ignore this time around. Though I'm definitely a fan of USG and quickly becoming a fan of DAOKO, so I'll be on the lookout for the singles. I'll also need to get someone to wake me up when(if?) they finally air that Chain episode..
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Yeah I adore the dub so I can't wait. I'm glad its a broadcast dub and we didn't have to wait over a year for the blu-ray.

So much this! The dub cast captured it all so perfectly, I'm so glad it's able to be back as a simuldub so we can watch really soon. I loved the first season so much.
Seiru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Both of you really summed up why I'm very into this show especially my hype for season 2. What I like about it is how fast the atmosphere changes for example a group of people were seen talking in one scene and the next they are being eaten and Leonardo chalks it up to that's Hellsalem's Lot for ya. However, when they truly want to get their point across the atmosphere changes to a serious tone and the viewers can tell like the whole vampire scenes. But what just keeps me coming back to this series is just how a scene can have different things happen especially the background. Sometimes it takes me more than 30 min to finish an episode just because I have to keep rewinding to see everything from the characters expressions to the background in those 5 seconds. Hope this season can be as fun as the first one!
All-Seeing-Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure Klaus wouldn't give alcohol to a minor.

Actually, Klaus let Leo drink and he's only 19

Nitpicking aside, both of you explained the appeal of BBB way better than I ever could. The first season just had so much action, craziness, and humor yet it was oddly humanistic which is why I love it so much. Personally I think the second season is doing pretty good. I'm going to miss Matsumoto's ambitiousness and eye for detail but the new guy is doing a decent job of keeping up. Maybe I'm just ever so optimistic because Steven & Chain are getting their chapters animated and those are by far my favorite chapters!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Quasar-Dragon wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure Klaus wouldn't give alcohol to a minor.

Actually, Klaus let Leo drink and he's only 19

In most countries (including most of the US until around the 1970s) the drinking age is less than 21. For example, it's 19 in Canada.
piebaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I kinda admit that I always look forward to Jacob's stuff on BBB and Nick throwing in his thoughts here just made me super excited to see the rest of the new season. (I still wish they chose to animate The Outlaw of Green because you can never have enough Klaus)

Season 1 really left a lasting impression on me and this chaotic little mess has definitely wormed its way into my life way more than it should.

I will still assert that Sonic is the best mascot character of all time.
DJShay13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
It's the characters and their interactions that really make it special. One of the most underappreciated gems in recent anime. Zapp and Leo together, just slays me. Hell, Zapp is one of the funniest characters in anime. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

the real surprise is that the first season of the series didn't even got an adult swim release considering how successful trigun did in the past. i mean if space dandy could get both an AS release as well a simuldub release at the same time, surely the new season on BBB could too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1