• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Weeks of Oct 1-21 [2017-10-26]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Gonna be a battle all season for the bottom spot between Dies irae and King's Game, unless something changes. Must be a glutton for punishment since I'm actually still watching both of them. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
In the cumulative the top 10 is more or less what I expected. Kino's Journey and Himōto! Umaru-chan R seem kind of low to me. And Love-Live! Sunshine!! being in the bottom third is very surprising, almost shocking, to me; the franchise has always been well liked in North America.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Gonna be a battle all season for the bottom spot between Dies irae and King's Game, unless something changes. Must be a glutton for punishment since I'm actually still watching both of them. Razz

Have yet to check out Dies Irae, but I didn't expect King's Game to be anywhere higher than the bottom.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Girl's last tour aside all my favourites(and thus objectively the best anime) are outside the top 10 lol.

Black Clover is way too low, I'm pretty sure it will go up though.

Last edited by GoldCrusader on Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Some on the list I definitely do not agree, because they started only two weeks ago. Others, I will not make any further comments, because I know they will continue in the same low position.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard that Seven Seas was licensing two different Ancient Magus' Bride companion books (the Guide Book and the Supplement), I was skeptical, but judging by these initial rankings it looks like their decision is really going to pan out for them. Laughing
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I don’t know. Dies Irae has to up its game if it wants to beat King’s Game. That being said, depending on the next episode, I could see Dies Irae “beating” it next week in the weeklies.

Nice to see AMB on the top. There are some surprises to me though, as while I liked both shows, I didn’t expect to see Girl’s Last Tour or MMO Junkie so high up. I’m also surprised by LLSS’s modest rank, as the reviewer and the commenters have all been pretty positive. Perhaps it’s just that there is a lot of competition this season.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Girls last tour and MMO junkie had all the makings of a sleeper hit to me this season and looks like it's off to a good start down that road. Let's see if they can keep it.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Decided to read up on Dies irae on it's Fan Wiki page,it can go lower.
But I also went ahead and read a bit of King's Game,really a toss up.

Then again I'am just not the target audience for these "works".

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the second season of 3-gatsu no Lion ("March Comes in like a Lion") will make a comeback as the season progresses. A number of commentators were unhappy about how the season began.

Girls' Last Tour is undoubtedly the sleeper hit of the season. It has a downbeat premise but is surprisingly light-hearted. Tonally, I've not seen anything like it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I've accepted that I'll never understand how these work beyond the basic concept, but I really can't fathom how Dragon Ball Super's 14-place nose-dive in the episode rankings did not affect its 2nd place standing in the cumulative at all, especially this early on.

I'm happy to see people jumping on the MMO train. Very Happy
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I’m also surprised by LLSS’s modest rank, as the reviewer and the commenters have all been pretty positive. Perhaps it’s just that there is a lot of competition this season.

I wonder if it's because a huge chunk of Love Live fans don't go to ANN to vote.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I've accepted that I'll never understand how these work beyond the basic concept, but I really can't fathom how Dragon Ball Super's 14-place nose-dive in the episode rankings did not affect its 2nd place standing in the cumulative at all, especially this early on.

While the two episodes that made up the recent 1 hour special were very strong, possibly the best of the series, I’m also surprised it hasn’t been affected at all. It’s bond to regress to the mean though.

@darkchibi07 I think there is more to it though. Usually shows rise a bit after the first episodes as the less interested drop off, but that isn’t happening, which is odd considering that they said it wouldn’t have gotten coverage with the votes it had if it wasn’t Love Live, as they expected the fanbase to be there. I don’t know if they gained a bunch more followers but I’d expect that the people watching the show still are just the ones who like it, which makes the continued modest ratings curious, especially given the positive reviewer and commentor opinion.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watch Kino episode 3 yet. Is it worth following? I don't want to get to disappointed.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Surprised at Lucious high rank, not undeserved but I didn't think I'd be that high. Also surprised at Osomatsu low rank, I though it was super popular. Same for March, the S2 aren't doing to well now. Kino is low, but I'm not surprised on that one, it's where it belong. Overall it's all over the place but I don't mind most of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3