• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Boxing Loves

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pityless/Envy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:42 am Reply with quote
Who knows, if ADV gets the rights to the movies, we might still see a few more "complete" sets.

For now, I'm happy with my $8 singles.
Miho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the Fruits Basket Thinpak have the extras that the original box set had?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:34 am Reply with quote
Pityless/Envy wrote:
Who knows, if ADV gets the rights to the movies, we might still see a few more "complete" sets.

For now, I'm happy with my $8 singles.

You know I want the government to question and investigate ADV. I mean they keep constantly rehashing this damn series to the point fans of it start to hate it. I mean it's just shameless marketing. So why in the name of God did I just buy recently the Aphrodite set of the Rei and Asuka pvc figures? Why am I going to finally upgrade my vhs collection to dvd? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I want them investigated to know what kind of subliminal messaging they have in their programs. Shocked
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The sound is clear and the video is sharp, and it's a great opportunity to check out this show.

Was the Nadia discs remastered for this release? I have the individual 10 volume release which don't look that great compared to the remastered Macross, or Evangelion. Has Nadia been given the remaster treatment?

I notice that many classics like Gundam Wing and Lupin III in Japan are getting a new HD remaster treatment. I believe other classics like Orange Road and Kenshin also got brand new digital transfers in the last year. Has Nadia joined these ranks?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:31 am Reply with quote
Miho wrote:
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but does the Fruits Basket Thinpak have the extras that the original box set had?

I think only ADV (usually) pares down their extras for thinpack releases, to cut down on disc count. Fruits Basket, however, was always on only four discs, so they should be the same.

Wasn't it one of Funimation's first forays out of Dragonball-land, by the way?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:56 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

You know I want the government to question and investigate ADV. I mean they keep constantly rehashing this damn series to the point fans of it start to hate it. I mean it's just shameless marketing. So why in the name of God did I just buy recently the Aphrodite set of the Rei and Asuka pvc figures? Why am I going to finally upgrade my vhs collection to dvd? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I want them investigated to know what kind of subliminal messaging they have in their programs. Shocked

Heh. I still haven't bought EVA on video in any form. Bought the manga as single issue comics (Parts One to Seven). Got the yuri-fodder Rei & Asuka plugsuit statue last year. The regular thinpak of the platinum edition should do it for me, though I might get the tin-box version if the price through my DVD importer isn't too steep.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Quote:
The sound is clear and the video is sharp, and it's a great opportunity to check out this show.

Was the Nadia discs remastered for this release?

If it was, I'm really going to scream. I recently tracked down the singles for half of the series and the brickset for the other half, because I noticed it was getting rather hard to find, etc. Imagine my surprise yesterday when I noticed on AoD that a new set had been realized. If it turns out it's remastered as well, I'm just going to go sulk somewhere for a very long time. I'd much rather have two matching tins (particularly if remastered) than that ragtag grouping of singles and a brick that I currently have. But until I actually get past DVD 1, there's no way I'm going to be willing to double-dip on the series.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:16 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Wasn't it one of Funimation's first forays out of Dragonball-land, by the way?

I was under the impression that YuYu Hakousho was thier first non DB Property.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
IIRC, Blue Gender was one of the first non-DB things they did.
Heretic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
I would have probably picked up the Nadia set, but I'm officially flat broke for the rest of the year. I have money accolated to a number of titles, and I'm moving soon so I need money for my new furniture (including new shelves).

Then again I should probably be happy that I don't have the money for anything additional, because I'd probably triple-dip and buy that damn Evangelion set.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:46 am Reply with quote
I got the tin Evangelion set for my birthday, and I'd say it's one of the best gifts I've received this year. I've never seen Eva before, save for a few episodes on TV, so this makes me an extremely happy fangirl.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
The shelf obsessed person has almost the same exact set up as me =O

Same exact color for the shelves, same exact short shelf, but my two tall shelves are slightly taller (6 shelves instead of 5), and my small shelf is in between the two tall ones.
Celes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I am really looking forward to picking up the Nadia set tomorrow. I've only ever seen the first VHS of the series because it's at the library I work at, and I've always wanted to see the rest. I hope Best Buy stocks it on their shelves and that I don't have to order it.

Tuesday is going to be fun, Nadia and Bender's Big Score! WHOOO!
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Quote:

Was the Nadia discs remastered for this release? I have the individual 10 volume release which don't look that great compared to the remastered Macross, or Evangelion. Has Nadia been given the remaster treatment?

I notice that many classics like Gundam Wing and Lupin III in Japan are getting a new HD remaster treatment. I believe other classics like Orange Road and Kenshin also got brand new digital transfers in the last year. Has Nadia joined these ranks?

GAINAX just released a remastered version of Nadia this year in Japan. It was 2 boxes, retailing at...$250 a piece I think?

I doubt ADV bought the rights to the remastered version and then released it so quickly afterwards. No, this is probably the same as the singles releases (Which I just recently picked up and rewatched myself).
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:

Well... I sure hope you're not of voting age. You're likely to believe that Bush wanted to ban all anime crap.

(That or you were joking.)

Speaking of Evangelion figures, I really should send in photos of my selves. The only problem is that I mix US and Japanese comics, animation, and films together. Oh and their related figures. Many many figures from every series imaginable. I've got Wolfwood next to Huntress from Batman. Gendo next to the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man. A Hellsing poster next to Sin City: Hell and Back and Nightwing posters. I got a Gundam model fighting a Big Daddy from Bioshock in front of John Locke from Lost. Oh and that's next to my Eva Platinum DVD box with Eva nesting dolls on top of it.

So yeah, my shelves are quite mixed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2