• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsuburaya Productions Wins Case for Ultraman's International Licensing Rights

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Hell yes, now long timed Taiwanese patent troll for western release of Ultraman is done after forty years. Good thing.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
Now, if this company would be so kind to stream all the Eng. dubbed "Ultraman" series on YT. It's going to be a few decades until the original Japanese versions enter the Japanese public domain. The American public domain has to wait over 40 more years until the original Japanese and Eng. dub versions joins them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Hell yes, now long timed Taiwanese patent troll for western release of Ultraman is done after forty years. Good thing.
Don't get your hopes up just yet: there's still room for appeal.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Now, if this company would be so kind to stream all the Eng. dubbed "Ultraman" series on YT. It's going to be a few decades until the original Japanese versions enter the Japanese public domain. The American public domain has to wait over 40 more years until the original Japanese and Eng. dub versions joins them.

It would be cool if this led to the release of the Ultra Q English dub: http://lostmediawiki.com/Ultra_Q_(partially_found_English_dub_of_Japanese_science-fiction_TV_series;_mid-late_1960s) . Chaiyo never had those materials, which is why the Shout! Factory DVD release didn't include them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So how long before the inevitable Hollywood movie?

2019’s action-comedy of the year!
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember there was an Ultraman series that was shot in America in English that never got released here. Very odd.
I hope this is the end of this idiocy from that crooked Thai company. I know they've been ruled against before. Strangely, it was the Japanese court that sided against Tsubaraya.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

I'd pay fat wads of cash for Ultraman to join the Legendary Monster Universe.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

I'd pay fat wads of cash for Ultraman to join the Legendary Monster Universe.

Won't be happening anytime soon for two reasons --
1) The case WILL be appealed. I'm amazed they tried this in an American court when it seems like something that should be settled in I don't know-- ASIA?

The ruling, btw, was the EXACT opposite in Tokyo so for people who think Japanese authorities will automatically side with Japanese companies -- ain't so! I don't know why they think an American court ruling means much unless the original Japanese studio owners are working with an American partner to get something done? Somebody's paying the bill in the US!
I bet it take a few more years and at least tens of thousands of dollars (if not hundreds of thousands) before this gets settled. spoiler[(The rumor in the US for the Spider-Man film rights was that Sony had to pay $20million to settle the legal entanglements from all the different production companies claiming to own a piece of Spidey. Marvel, apparently, didn't leave a great paper trail or sold the rights over and over again from the late 1980s onward. At one point, they almost went into production on a James Cameron Spider-Man movie until it stalled. I think he did another movie about a boat instead...)]
This just goes to show that agreements have to be written out on paper, all T's crossed, I's dotted, and so on. It's sort of like the Macross situation between Big West and Tatsunoko. Those little pieces of paper with no clear termination dates for distribution/production rights will come back to bite you!
On the other hand, Tatsunoko itself enforced its Speed Racer rights and made the LAST US rights holder to that franchise give them up (in court) after that contract ended. The US company continued to license and produce Speed Racer merchandizing AFTER the contract ended.
2) The Legendary Monster franchise isn't doing so well... They're gonna do more King Kong and Godzilla films but that's separate from the Mummy, Wolfman, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, etc. They haven't been able to make a GOOD, successful film with the Classic Monsters in years. Bah, I always liked the B&W films better anyway!

The latest word is they scrapped plans for doing more with the "Big Three" Monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman) until they get things figured out. Tom Cruise's Mummy reboot movie did NOT do well. The Benecio Del Toro Wolfman revamp some years back also bombed. That means don't expect another "Legendary Monsters" movie for at least another 5-10 years.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:22 am Reply with quote
You’re thinking of the Universal monsters. Different company.

Of course the trolls will appeal.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

They're Thai. And this ruling doesn't change the rulings in Thailand and Japan, necessarily, though depending on the outcome on appeal, it can give them something to tell authorities abroad "hey look, an American court says this is a forgery." And the "contract" is obviously a forgery.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I wish I heard this kind of news for the Macross franchise.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
This lawsuit happened in the US because of this. In 2015, there was a push by the people claiming to own Ultraman and Tsuburaya got involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1