• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Pokémon Film Casts Big Little Lies' Kathryn Newton

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssj1236

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
Is this a joke?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:57 am Reply with quote
idk whats more ridiculous the fact that they're trying to do a live action pokemon movie or the idea that they think this'll go over well
Amiantos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 am Reply with quote
ssj1236 wrote:
Is this a joke?

Only joke is that the actors who are taking the roles in this movie think it will help their career and not destroy it.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:18 am Reply with quote
I don't know why they'd start developing a detective Pikachu movie before releasing the damn game state side.
Vannil

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
I have found it odd that they haven't released Detective Pikachu in the West. Is there anything in the game that would make Nintendo warry of releasing it outside of Japan?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
This is gonna be a garbage film.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
Whoa, they were serious about this!?
ChrisKris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
Let's see how long it takes before the director writes an apologize message to the world.
Becuz of this bullsh*t movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly, even though I haven't really been a big fan of Pokemon for well over a decade, when skimming the article the production staff actually had me interested. I loved Gravity Falls and Guardians of the Galaxy, and although I wasn't crazy about the movie, Goosebumps did seem generally well directed when I was half-watching it.

Then I looked back up at the top of the article and realized that I missed the part about the movie being based around "Detective Pikachu".... Moderate interest effectively killed.

I might still check it out eventually (if it doesn't get Dragonball Evolution levels of bad reviews), but I won't be going to a theater showing unless it gets a miraculously good reception.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Base the movie on material which is little known to the majority of the target audience,instead of going with characters fans have known for a generation or so...

Sounds like the typical in-name only cash-grab type of adaption-It'll more than likely break box office records or at least sell more Pikachu plushies.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Edit: This post was an accidental double post I just noticed... so just ignore it...

Last edited by Emma Iveli on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
As I keep saying I'm torn about this movie... like pluvia33 said I love Gravity Falls and Guardians of the Galaxy... you have two great writers for this movie, if they work well with the Director we might have another Lego Movie on our hands... A movie that was initially a shameless cash grab but then was so good that people were REALLY angry it didn't get an Oscar nom.

But it's really the Director and also the Studio we have to worry about... either way I'm going to wait and see the reviews before I make my call... After all there's a good chance this movie won't suck.
SejinPK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm still really iffy about this. Live-action Pokemon seems like a really weird choice to me.

Quote:
The article also described Pikachu as a motion-captured character for the film.

Andy Serkis as Pikachu. Either that, or Andy Serkis as Caesar in a Detective Pikachu outfit. Those are the only choices I will accept. Razz
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I don't know why they'd start developing a detective Pikachu movie before releasing the damn game state side.

Given the movie is an adaptation of the game and playing the latter not bring necessary to potentially enjoy the former.

MagusGuardian wrote:
idk whats more ridiculous the fact that they're trying to do a live action pokemon movie or the idea that they think this'll go over well

I don't know of anyone involved in the process of making a movie that isn't skeptical about a movie's chances of success or failure however simply believing an idea to be bad isn't a good mindset to have either as you've had many people walk away from films because of some specific reasoning which gets funny when said movie becomes a hit.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
At least they got a hot female lead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2