• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Win at 45th Annie Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 am Reply with quote
Hmm, We Bare Bears, Coco, Samurai Jack...Methinks I see a pattern and it isn't that the best win.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
People are surprised!??

The awards ceremony people are part of asifa-HOLLYWOOD!

Of course, the majority of the awards, the big ones are going to go to the local productions!
Yes, the goal is to promote animation (how well they do this is debatable given the state of feature animation in the US; it's ALL computer-generated now!) but nowhere does it state it's an ANIME promotion society. They have those elsewhere.

To be honest, I stopped paying much attention to the US product years ago. For all the talk about formula in anime shows and the "sameness" of productions, there's still less variety in American product because there's generally a LOT less being produced in the States! The Feature CG productions just look too much alike and I outgrew the "Lenny and George" road shows and "Princess Proms" years ago. Even the DC Comics TV series and direct-to-video films haven't been that good in years.

I think half the reason why any of the Ghibli stuff won any animation awards in the US (outside of any anime committees) is because John Lasseter was a promoter of their films and claimed to be friends with Hayao Miyazaki (which I find dubious; I don't think Miyazaki even speaks English or really cares for most of the animation made in the US after Walt Disney died!).

FYI, I find awards shows ridiculous. I haven't liked this stuff since junior high when I figured out that outside of awards given for point totals and test scores it's pretty much all a popularity contest. You see that on display every year with the Oscars and Golden Globes. It just gets old and makes you want to move on and spend your time elsewhere.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
Initially read it as "No Anime wins at Anime Awards" and thought "that can't be right..."
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:52 am Reply with quote
Awards are just disguised ads. See, you can't even spell awards without also spelling ads. Would be interesting to rank all those movies by how profitable they've been, though. Not by how some paid advertisers award them.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:56 am Reply with quote
To be honest, Coco was really good. Or at least, I very much enjoyed it.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 am Reply with quote
Well Coco was a given, since Disney was one of the major sponsors of the Award show and their production even gotten an Oscar nomination. So there obviously was pressure to give it the win.

Samurai Jack, the awards were well deserved, IMHO.

We Bare Bears, I honestly was surprised. I thought Cartoon Network pulled it ages ago since all we see now is Teen Titans and Ben 10. Since the creator admitted it was inspired the live of an asian minority, perhaps this was given a political nod? Which is ironic given Japan getting zero awards. My guess it's because Japanese Anime is more art than politics.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
We Bare Bears, I honestly was surprised. I thought Cartoon Network pulled it ages ago since all we see now is Teen Titans and Ben 10. Since the creator admitted it was inspired the live of an asian minority, perhaps this was given a political nod? Which is ironic given Japan getting zero awards. My guess it's because Japanese Anime is more art than politics.

We Bare Bears, as well as Gumball, came back with new episodes a while ago. Of course, unless you're bothering to check CN with all its reruns, you'd never have known those two shows were getting new episodes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
While Disney and Pixar certainly have too much influence on the outcomes of award ceremonies, in this case I don't think it's fair to blame Coco for why no anime won at the Annie Awards. Coco was nominated for Best Feature and all the anime films were only up for best indie animated film, which went to The Breadwinner, which is distributed by GKids, not Disney or PIxar.
Xe4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I think The Breadwinner was better than both Napping Princess and In This Corner of the World, so I have no problem with it winning. Mary and the Witches Flower was pretty underwhelming to me and I think Coco beats it pretty easily in every category.

It's a shame about Tonko House not winning, because I absolutely adore their stuff (go watch The Dam Keeper right now if you haven't). But on the other hand Triggerfish getting love makes me happy, cause god knows we need African animation to reach a wider audience.

All in all, I certainly have my problems with the award. I think they give too much attention to Disney/Pixar, and though I'm glad they separated the categories so smaller and foreign stuff could win, the fact that an animated awards show would have to do that in the first place is a bit annoying. But I don't think it was a bad ceremony this year at all. They certainly do a lot better than the Oscars, low bar as that may be.

Congrats to Twomey for her win, and Unkrich for his. Both are fantastic movies that deserve the award and more.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that some of the American cartoons I watch, such as Steven Universe and Adventure Time, weren't nominated this year, especially Adventure Time, since its airing its last episodes this year. I guess it'll get a chance next year.

I don't think the Annies warrant the same cynicism as the Oscars. Its not that no foreign works won this year, just no Japanese works. And Samurai Jack is a fan favorite which came back for a generally well received final season (well, at least the animation was well received). Not surprised it swept a few awards.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Coco dominating the Annies kinda pissed me off since it's also the only animated title that's going to get any recognition at the Oscars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
And Samurai Jack is a fan favorite which came back for a generally well received final season (well, at least the animation was well received).

Now now while people did take umbrage a bit at it being only 10 episodes long, Jack and Ashi becoming a couple after only being together for a few days (and in spite of Ashi trying to kill jack more than once), And that Ashi being the key to sending Jack to the past was an asspull (eventhough it was made clear from the start that Ashi and her sisters carry Aku's essence so therefore would have some of his powers along with the fact that Aku having the ability to open time portals which kicked off the premise of the plot was an ass pull itself).

It was a good finale and not simply because of the animation.

CatSword wrote:
Coco dominating the Annies kinda pissed me off since it's also the only animated title that's going to get any recognition at the Oscars.

That kind of how these things work you're going to have a very successful work (like Coco) getting the attention.....or some weird but rare instance of some work getting the rub while basically being forgettable.
Wellington

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Ouch, that's gotta hurt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1