• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek Runs Poll for Possible Standard Definition BD Releases

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
I think this is totally preferable, unless putting SD material on BD lowers the video quality? I've heard rumblings about that but have never seen any definitive answers. I would love to be able to reduce a big series down to a single BD case though.

There are a couple anime releases of SD material on BD already (FOTNS, Samurai Pizza Cats), but I haven't seen any comparisons between the same content on the different formats.
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
As long as they don't pillar box the release I don't mind either way.
WarrFork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
But what for? DVDs were still sold because back then we didn't all have bluray players. Not for their video quality of 480p/576p.
LostTL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
SD on BD has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the main issues is that 24p (used for films and most modern TV on DVD) is inexplicably not part of BD standard, so that content has to be presented in 60i with 3:2 pulldown; Although in fairness, many players will recognize pulldown and backwards-convert it back to 24P it during playback, and SD-era stuff would be edited this way to begin with. There's also supposedly some players that upscale DVDs better than SD-on-BDs, though that sounds a tad suspicious.

The available codecs and bit-rate are so much better on BD though, so the actual base video would be much better, and there's room for lossless/uncompressed audio. Assuming the player's reasonable, SD could fair noticeably better on BD than DVD, but honestly I'd still rather pay extra for a professional pre-done upscale.

The idea of selling HD content scaled down to SD on a BD makes my mind boggle.
Uter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:13 am Reply with quote
VanGosroth wrote:
As long as they don't pillar box the release I don't mind either way.

Not sure what you mean by "pillar box," but I would hope all releases maintain OAR.

#863350 wrote:

The available codecs and bit-rate are so much better on BD though, so the actual base video would be much better, and there's room for lossless/uncompressed audio. Assuming the player's reasonable, SD could fair noticeably better on BD than DVD, but honestly I'd still rather pay extra for a professional pre-done upscale.

I would pay more as well, but I'm guessing these companies estimate that most people would not.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
I saw this poll on Twitter and wasn't able to answer because honestly, it doesn't matter to me, given one or the other. But now that I read the details of it in this article, I *do* have an opinion... and still can't answer a this or that poll. This really needs to be a proper survey instead of a straw poll.

Like, I still don't care about DVD vs SD-BD, but,
Quote:
If Discotek begins this new release method, the company said it will also release anime with HD masters on both a standard definition Blu-ray Disc set and a more expensive HD Blu-ray Disc set

I really DON'T want that. That sounds like it would lead to a ton of confusion and it would be way too easy to buy the wrong version on accident.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
#863350 wrote:

Yes, that part is stupid. Nobody would want that and people would see two different Blu-rays of the same title and get confused.
Uter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Quote:
If Discotek begins this new release method, the company said it will also release anime with HD masters on both a standard definition Blu-ray Disc set and a more expensive HD Blu-ray Disc set

I really DON'T want that. That sounds like it would lead to a ton of confusion and it would be way too easy to buy the wrong version on accident.

The other half of the news stole my attention, so I didn't even notice the insanity of that.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
I voted for SDBD on Facebook yesterday; I think it is a good idea. And 82% of the people participating in the poll want SDBD.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
In theory, I don't mind. I think it's a good idea.

But in practice, they need to really, really differentiate the difference between SD and HD Bluray.

For example the SD package would just be a simple case with the discs while the HD package would be like how other companies do collector's editions with more bonus content and a case that is physically different from the SD version in ways other than in just name.
ShadowAssailantX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
Uter wrote:
rizuchan wrote:

Quote:

The other half of the news stole my attention, so I didn't even notice the insanity of that.

This isn't insanity, and it's not that confusing. I own the FOTNS Complete DVD set and it is HUGE. 21 DVDs stuffed into a very delicate case with lots of "pages". I have considered purchasing the 'SD on Blu' FOTNS set just because this one is so unwieldy. That is only 3 discs for the entire series. Yes, 3 (Blu-Ray) discs for 152 episodes. How can you not see the advantages of that over DVD?

Any actual HD remaster would end up being 10-20 discs anyway, so the chance of confusing them with the SDBD set would be minimal, as long as the packaging made it clear. I don't think every series needs a SDBD release of course, but long running shows that are 100+ can really benefit from the ease of use and shelf-space saving that SDBD can offer.
Uter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
ShadowAssailantX wrote:

This isn't insanity, and it's not that confusing. I own the FOTNS Complete DVD set and it is HUGE. 21 DVDs stuffed into a very delicate case with lots of "pages". I have considered purchasing the 'SD on Blu' FOTNS set just because this one is so unwieldy. That is only 3 discs for the entire series. Yes, 3 (Blu-Ray) discs for 152 episodes. How can you not see the advantages of that over DVD?

Any actual HD remaster would end up being 10-20 discs anyway, so the chance of confusing them with the SDBD set would be minimal, as long as the packaging made it clear. I don't think every series needs a SDBD release of course, but long running shows that are 100+ can really benefit from the ease of use and shelf-space saving that SDBD can offer.

I don't think you read my post properly. What is insane is putting out 2 versions of HD shows on BD, one being standard def and one being HD. It would be unnecessarily confusing.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
"If Discotek begins this new release method, the company said it will also release anime with HD masters on both a standard definition Blu-ray Disc set and a more expensive HD Blu-ray Disc set "

Now, THAT'S just a confusing line!
The article needs to rewritten or Discotek has to confirm what the heck they're saying.

The way I read this is that they want to phase out DVD because it's a hassle to do both DVD and Blu ray. It would be cheaper in the long run to just use 1 disc format to handle either HD or SD video.

What they are saying (or SHOULD be saying) is that they CAN fit more SD-video on a Blu ray disc (which is NOT shocking; 50GB versus 8.4GB? No contest!) BUT the quality will STILL be SD-quality. It won't be an HD video stream. That's what will confuse some people who don't understand the higher-capacity disc can hold more SD-video as well as accommodate HD-video.

Discotek has already done SD-video BD disc releases for Pizza Cats (mentioned), Fist of the North Star (the original TV series), and the Wizard of Oz anime. All these releases were standard-definition, not were hi-def remasters. I would imagine they'd like to do the Lupin III (Second Series) TV collections on BD format (still SD-video; they didn't license any HD remasters for that) and any other TV series. They could have put their DVD video release of the original Cutie Honey all on one Blu ray probably, two Blu ray discs tops. That was only 25episodes (SD-video), too.

If they can fit 9 half-hour (really 25 minutes) TV episodes in HD quality on a 2-layer BD, at least 20 episodes of SD-video/half hour episodes could be fit on a Blu ray, too. That would shrink the disc count for SD video collections TREMENDOUSLY but you're still going to be paying for the 20 episode content's worth on that 1 BD disc instead of 4 or 5 DVD's. This is something cheapskates aren't going to like but cheapskates will complain anyway. The same people will say "I can't afford a Blu ray player!" to which I say Blu ray players have been available for TWELVE YEARS now (there are even some $50 standalone models out there) and even the 4K Blu players are going down to $150 and LESS (I've seen an $80 4K BD unit) and the 4K player is what people should probably buy at this point. It will STILL play your Blu rays, DVD's, and audio CDs. 4K players WILL work with existing 1K HDTV sets as well as 4K HDTV. They just won't output 4K video on 1K set!

Some TV shows are just not available in HD. They lost the 16mm/35mm film stock long ago (happened at at least the first two seasons of Sailor Moon TV and that show isn't even 30 years old!) or the companies that own them don't want to bother with a proper HD remaster. If they DOn'T have film stock or hi-def transfers period, just upscaling SD-video looks like pooh. It just doesn't look good.

The business of upscaling DVD has always been haphazard. I'm still very disappointed by it most of the time. There's only about a 1/3 of the time that I'm happy with the results of an upscaled DVD.
ShadowAssailantX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Uter wrote:
I don't think you read my post properly. What is insane is putting out 2 versions of HD shows on BD, one being standard def and one being HD. It would be unnecessarily confusing.

I'm still not really sure how you think this is insane. It is almost exactly the same thing as having a DVD version and a BD version of the same show with the same cover art next to each other on retail shelves. People don't have meltdowns trying to figure this out. They will just be marked SD/ HD vs being marked DVD/ BD. People have been dealing with this choice for years and they have managed so far.
Uter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
ShadowAssailantX wrote:
Uter wrote:

I'm still not really sure how you think this is insane. It is almost exactly the same thing as having a DVD version and a BD version of the same show with the same cover art next to each other on retail shelves. People don't have meltdowns trying to figure this out. They will just be marked SD/ HD vs being marked DVD/ BD. People have been dealing with this choice for years and they have managed so far.

I'm not sure how you think this is a good, not in any way convoluted idea. It seems like an idea that will cause more headaches than anything else. I think you are giving people too much credit. Have you ever worked in retail?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3