• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bryce Papenbrook, David Vincent Chat Unlocked

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I went to a convention last May where Bryce Papenbrook was and he was promoting the Unlocked Facebook group. The app hadn't been out. Then another Convention in September that David Vincent was at and he did the same thing and the app was out at that point. They were really promoting it, which now makes sense because I didn't know they are the co-founders. At the same time you can definitely tell it's a passion project and not another revenue stream just for the money.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like they've got some good ideas with this. Limiting the communication to when someone is live makes sense since I could see people taking the attitude that if they are paying for the service, then they should always get a response. It is also good to read that they are asking the people involved with it to do something on a regular basis. Again, I could see things going sour if people started complaining that they paid for a subscription because a particular actor was involved, and then that actor wasn't active for months at a time.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:05 am Reply with quote
@Caitlinsvoice (Caitlin Glass) linked this interview in 1 of her latest tweets*. I said: "Well, the earliest members date I have members join for the group was 5/4/2017, so they have had over 9 months to work on it. One would think they would be done by now. The backlog we have is aggravating."

She said "Maybe not much longer. The interview for article was late last year, so I’m sure things have progressed since then."

*twitter.com/caitlinsvoice/status/966819704311599106
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
If Americans weren't stubbornly clinging to iPhones, I'd call them crazy for not having an Android app yet, as it is I'll merely call it bad business. Apple still owns just under half the US market share, as opposed to under 20% worldwide. But they DO need to get off their rears on having an Android app if they want this to succeed.

That said, I do wonder how this will affect the "market" for US guests at anime cons going forward. (I could honestly see it going either way, either making them more popular as "celebrities", or less "valuable" since they're already providing the content on the app)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I get that the Unlocked development team has only so many people under their allowed budget. However, wouldn't it be more practical for the initial beta version to use source codes that would allow a simultaneous launch on the iOS and Android? Are the technical specs for an Android app so different from an iOS app that the former version is not ready yet?
Setis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they started with iOS because from my experience, many more actors have iPhones than Androids. Would be hard to start a streaming service with little content.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:59 am Reply with quote
Setis wrote:
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they started with iOS because from my experience, many more actors have iPhones than Androids. Would be hard to start a streaming service with little content.

Thanks for a possible explanation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1