• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Fat People Ridiculed In Anime?

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
This is part of the reason why I'm afraid of going to Japan, even as a tourist. And why I love Pochamani. It's the reversed Ore Monogatari, but it pushes self-confidence in yourself, and to appreciate who you are and the people who accept you as what you are.

I feel like Japan is just starting to cave and show positive representation of fat people, but only in selective manga, and it is still not perfect.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
As a former fat person, I am more aware of the differences in treatment between fat and non-fat people, and this is one of those things that has always bothered me about Japanese media. It's not just offensive, either, but artistically and creatively bankrupt. Why take the time to make original jokes when you can just go for the low hanging fruit that will be understood by the masses?

It's similar to how Japanese society is far more xenophobic and racist than many anime fans realize, or are comfortable admitting. It's just a totally different attitude, and one that emerges, admittedly understandably, from the specific history and nature of Japanese society.
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Of course, Sumo Wrestlers are given a pass in regard to weight. Last time I was in Japan the tournaments in Nagoya were taking place and people were going nuts over them. In the past I clocked in at over 300 pounds and was very conscious of the "personal space" I tended to take up on the subways. However, this past year I have lost 110 pounds but I am no where near (nor ever will be) a size 33 waist. I will always fall into the class of a "large" American I am sure but at least now I may be excused and tolerated more.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Wait... If only 3% of japoneses people are obese and the law aimed the curb to decrease that by 25%, how is 1% nothing? Did it not go to 2%?

(I'm on my phone and my math skills are ass so sorry if I'm being retarded and what I said is just a failure of my comprehension skills. Laughing )
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Is there a series with a fat girl as a main character that is neither the butt of a lot of fat jokes nor loses weight and is suddenly fawned over by everybody? In other words, no "Kiss Him, Not Me."

"Persona 4" had a big problem with this. Fat/ugly people were always either not-so-nice-people or the butt of jokes. Yeah, it's funny because they don't conform to beauty standards.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
catbot158 wrote:
This is part of the reason why I'm afraid of going to Japan, even as a tourist. And why I love Pochamani. It's the reversed Ore Monogatari, but it pushes self-confidence in yourself, and to appreciate who you are and the people who accept you as what you are.

I feel like Japan is just starting to cave and show positive representation of fat people, but only in selective manga, and it is still not perfect.

I've been to Japan both as a dude who weighed around 300 lbs and now as a dude who weighs around 180 and honestly, while it isn't a flawless experience, you'll be fine if you're heavy. I definitely - like definitely - did get shitty looks from old ladies on the train as a fat guy, but otherwise people were polite to my face (which is all I cared about) and I did fine getting around Tokyo, at least.

I need to take a look at Pochamani, I'd never heard of it. Sounds good!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Wait... If only 3% of japoneses people are obese and the law aimed the curb to decrease that by 25%, how is 1% nothing? Did it not go to 2%?

1% OF that 3.5%.
In other words, of Japan's 127M people, roughly 4.445M are overweight, having gone down only 44,450 people. 1% is statistically insignificant, because that number can be attributed to a rounding or a sampling error.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I basically put fat people into 7 groups: Group #1 are people that are fat sometimes because the weight might be a coping mechanism for things like abuse or depression. Group #2 are people that are fat because they were taught such a behavior growing up and thus accepted such an image. Group #3 are people that are fat have because condition such as a form of diabetes. Group #4 are people that are fat because of combos of the 1st three groups. Each group may contain members who have the capabilities to exercise (being phys. capable and having the mindset for it) and members that lack such capabilities. The "mindset" part can include the state of one's self-esteem or body image. That self-esteem can include being offended by or not being offended being told they are fat. However, Group #5 is perhaps the most extreme.

Why is that? Group #5 are those that don't fall into any of the above groups. Those are the fat people that know they are fat, are capable of losing weight but don't (basically, they would make a conscientious attempt not to), and may still insist another person use politically correct language around them ("Rather than say 'fat', say 'big-boned!'). They knowingly became fat but are still offended by hearing or seeing the word "fat".

Group #6 are those that have the conditions Group #5 but take the initiative to lose weight and are not offended by being called "fat" ("I am not offended being called 'fat'! In fact, it might be important to hear that word for me to realize I should exercise. I have known I should exercise but perhaps now I really know to star!"). Finally, Group #7 fall under the conditions 1st four groups but do take the initiative to be exercise but may or may not be offended by hearing the the word "fat".

Being almost 6'3 and around 210.5 lbs., I do consider myself a bit fat. However, I see myself in Group #6.
wastrel

Just because it isn't shown in American media, doesn't mean that American attitudes in person are any better than Japan's. They aren't.
DmonHiro

AksaraKishou wrote:

Well, no. It only went down 1% of that 3.5%. Thing is considering the food you can get in Japan and the fact that obesity can be a symptom of something else it's quite possible that the vast majority of obese people in Japan have some underlying condition that will make it next to impossible to lose weight.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

I've been to Japan both as a dude who weighed around 300 lbs and now as a dude who weighs around 180 and honestly, while it isn't a flawless experience, you'll be fine if you're heavy. I definitely - like definitely - did get shitty looks from old ladies on the train as a fat guy, but otherwise people were polite to my face (which is all I cared about) and I did fine getting around Tokyo, at least.

I need to take a look at Pochamani, I'd never heard of it. Sounds good!

I am glad to hear that.

However, Zac, do you think being a foreigner (or especially a foreigner who does not have Asian appearances) helps? Because during my childhood in China and Japan, being fat is all they need to ridicule and judge someone. We were literally taught that being overweight will render you into a "worthless" individual, "being fat is a sin because you choose to be that way"....

I was a bit overweight during my early-teen years,and was constantly bullied, aliened, and being verbally abused ruthlessly by my classmates and parents, it was all the motivations I need for a near-death (literally) quick diet.

I can definitely relate to the over-weighted characters who were being ridiculed in anime, and unfortunately, it is a "culture conformity" issue not just Japan, but many Asian countries in general.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
While the humor in anime sometimes goes too far I am skeptical that the fat acceptance movement and their saying that you are healthy at any weight is what is needed. A human body has limits on how much fat it can deal with before it causes medical issues. That basic medical facts are no longer publicly discussed since it offends people is not good for society.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Is there a series with a fat girl as a main character that is neither the butt of a lot of fat jokes nor loses weight and is suddenly fawned over by everybody? In other words, no "Kiss Him, Not Me."

I forget the exact title (Puchi Puchi Swim Club or something?) but it was a manga about a fat girl (the cutesy sort of fat like the lead of Accel World) who joins the swim club after she overhears her crush saying he likes thin girls. Turns out she's got great leg strength good for swimming. There's still plenty of fat jokes, sure, but she doesn't magically lose weight (she loves eating far too much) and I still found it an enjoyable read. She also has a childhood friend who likes her despite her appearance.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
That basic medical facts are no longer publicly discussed since it offends people is not good for society.

Well, there's a problem with that as well. From what I read the thing most people use to judge obesity if the BMI. Problem with that is that the BMI was never meant to be used on an individual. And judging an individual soley on the BMI is wrong and very inancurate.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I think that people in Japan treat fat people in that way, because obesity is epitome of laziness and absence of self-control, the things that are important in japanese society.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11