• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: 5 HIDIVE Features for the Anime Fan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they’ll add the rest of Sentai’s Amazon exclusives soon.
Also regarding uncensored home video cuts, Parasyte is still only available via broadcast version, even though the Region 1 blurays have been out for almost 2 years. Akame ga Kill’s home video version is only available with the English dub. This compared to more recent shows like Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Food Wars that available in both broadcast and home video cuts.
Karl2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
License your entire to Åland Islands region Sentai, you cheapskate

Swiftyy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, Profile Customization and In-Episode Chat are not features that are going to entice me into subscribing to your service. Come back with an ad for apps on more platforms and offline viewing then we'll be talking.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Jeez, Profile Customization and In-Episode Chat are not features that are going to entice me into subscribing to your service. Come back with an ad for apps on more platforms and offline viewing then we'll be talking.

While I do have a subscription, I agree with you. I find chats during videos to be distracting, at best, and it seems like most of what I've seen was just a mad rush of people making comments that nobody actually reads. I'd also like to see a Playstation app soon. More platforms to reach more customers seems like it should be more of a priority.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
All I want to do is watch stuff, and I'd find it a lot better to do that if they had a PS4 app as I don't want to watch stuff on the phone or on the computer screen.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
All I want to do is watch stuff, and I'd find it a lot better to do that if they had a PS4 app as I don't want to watch stuff on the phone or on the computer screen.
That is my gripe with it as well, if they really want to be a big steaming service then having an app for at least the Apple TV and Amazon Firestick is a must have.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:

So much this. They're trying to sell us sizzle and hoping we won't notice the lack of steak.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I just want to add my voice to the crowd wanting a PlayStation app. The absence of one is the only reason that I don't subscribe to HIDIVE yet. I'd be happy to "lock-in" that cheaper rate if they could release a PlayStation app by the deadline (or at least announce that one will be released soon after)....
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:33 pm Reply with quote
They are working on more apps, that's why I wound up subscribing to them. I even applied to test out their Roku app when they were asking for people to volunteer to test their apps. (it's not ready yet, or at least I didn't get picked to test it, if you're wondering, but it looks like another app is close to being released.) To be fair, they did have stuff delaying their apps, stuff they had no control over (like being in the area affected by the flooding then having to deal with the aftermath of that). They're working on the apps and starting to release them so I'm happy enough to support them.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for that Apple TV app. I have a subscription already and cast. But it sucks. Hopefully they can get it sorted out fast.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Hopefully they’ll add the rest of Sentai’s Amazon exclusives soon.
Also regarding uncensored home video cuts, Parasyte is still only available via broadcast version, even though the Region 1 blurays have been out for almost 2 years. Akame ga Kill’s home video version is only available with the English dub. This compared to more recent shows like Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Food Wars that available in both broadcast and home video cuts.

I really hope so too. That is the major thing preventing me from signing up. Currently it's still like the old TAN site where it's haphazard for broadcast vs home video versions. But given they've explicitly marketed this feature I hope they become as consistent as Funimation/VRV is in putting up home video versions.

As far as Amazon exclusives sub-licensed to them by Sentai, we already know a couple old ones do expire, but as far as the rest, I wonder if the contract stipulates broadcast version and if Sentai can get around that by putting up the home video version.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I do like the fact that HIDIVE offers the censored and uncensored versions of some shows, in case you want to do a comparison or simply are in a more sensitive viewing area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
q_3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I wish they would get rid of profiles. Or at least get rid of the requirement that I select a profile every single time I log in, when I have only one profile. Having to log in again every time I close my browser just makes it worse. I'm way more willing to forgive lack of features than I am lack of convenience.
shadowypoet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Get a Roku app and I will probably subscribe instantly. You are forfeiting money every month you do not have the standard apps people use to watch streaming services.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
In-episode chat sounds like a fine reason not to support a service, even should you be able to turn it off, because I'd have some serious doubts about anyone who'd think it was a good idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2