• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sina Weibo Reverses Decision Regarding Gay-Content Ban

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
That's awesome news to hear! It was really bad idea to ban gay content in the first place and I guess the fear of losing profits are much more effective than anything else.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 am Reply with quote
Well that was pretty quick. They should have known better in this modern time and it is good for them to reverse their decision
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:14 am Reply with quote
They must have had an immediate and noticeable drop in users in the day immediately after the announcement.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
Good to know that, even in China, Public Outcry can get the job done... or was it the subtle hints of the Communist Party instead? Well... Whatever. Good to know they're not moving forward with this nonsense.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
or was it the subtle hints of the Communist Party instead?

LOL, no. The CPC would not have told them ease the rules. They probably had to beg for permission and show that it was having a serious effect on their business. I'm very surprised by the outcome actually.

There's a federal ban in China banning the depiction of LGBT+ relationships (and any other "vulgar, immoral and unhealthy content") in TV shows and web-dramas.

-t
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see if they have really changed their mind or if they will simply continue with their original plans. After all it isn't like the censors have to explain why they removed something.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

LOL, no. The CPC would not have told them ease the rules. They probably had to beg for permission and show that it was having a serious effect on their business. I'm very surprised by the outcome actually.

There's a federal ban in China banning the depiction of LGBT+ relationships (and any other "vulgar, immoral and unhealthy content") in TV shows and web-dramas.

-t

I think I will add some perspective as a Chinese native, since there was a huge storm in Chinese networks yesterday regarding this incident.

According to the official announcement and how quick the weibo acted, many speculate it was all thanks to Global Times and People's Dailies (Newspaper sponsored by the federal Chinese government) highly criticized Weibo's decision via social platform for being "too lazy and backwards" and "2D manga is guilt-free and harmless in this particular situation".

Weibo did the cleaning and deleting themselves without government told them to (oh lord) since they are gaining the reputation globally for hosting LGBT+ comics, apparently they don't like that. But...What Chinese government said is not encouraging LGBT+ creations but rather an act of apathy: We are too busy to deal with trade wars and international affairs, ain't got no time for 2D stuff.

Actually, Chinese government's current stance on LGBT+ is basically a state of apathy: You are free to exist, free to live as normal, but don't be vocal (aka any form of media promotion or attention) about it, if you don't like it, move abroad. (I know that sounds really cringyworthy, but with my life experiences in China and a few of my LGBT Chinese buddies, that IS the realty they have to deal with)

It's long and slow process for social progression and reform, but at least things are moving to the right direction (albeit sometimes a few backwards on the way)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
It's long and slow process for social progression and reform, but at least things are moving to the right direction (albeit sometimes a few backwards on the way)

One step forward and ten steps back. It is sickening to see that some places still treat homosexuality like it's some evil disease that can be cured by trying to turn gay people straight or kept out of public sight by sweeping its very existence under the carpet.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
They can still censor stuff by saying it "vulgar" instead of saying it got gay content. So any Chinese yaoi/BL can get automatically classify as sexual and removed. Also it interesting there a component where they go after violent video games and there not really a response to that. What happen to all the video games defenders?

Really hope that people not going to turn this into a opportunity to do PR for the Chinese regime. The situation is bad and they still going on a campaign on vulgar/violent content which also include a lot of gay content. A lot of people seem cognizant of this but on some websites it seem they like to spin this into how enlightened the government is.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they reversed it. Did they really ban gay content and expect there to be no backlash? Are they really so brain dead?
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
China.exe has stopped working.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
This makes some of the views of some ultra-conservative Americans seem liberal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1