• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote for Their Favorite Male Voice Actors

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
No love for Ayumu Murase? Crying or Very sad
JohnRhogan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
How about Japan make these polls open to outside countries? I almost don't always agree with thei lists.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:22 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
How about Japan make these polls open to outside countries?

I don't think that's possible. I really doubt Japanese people know Yong Bosch or Lowenthal
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:
How about Japan make these polls open to outside countries? I almost don't always agree with thei lists.

Well, you have ANN polls here and there some Crunchyroll polls from time to time, right? Granted, I usually don't agree with those either. Laughing
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
#879773 wrote:

Nothing is stopping you from voting in Charapedia polls if you really want to. Just go to their site and vote.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I love a lot of these seiyuu, especially Hiroshi Kamiya, Yuuki Kaji, Mamoru Miyano, and Junichi Suwabe.

But I am a little sad about the lack of Kenjiro Tsuda...he's my absolute favorite by far (I'm rewatching Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters right now for the umpteenth time, as I type, cause Seto is best boy). <3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
#879773 wrote:

Nothing is stopping you from voting in Charapedia polls if you really want to. Just go to their site and vote.

This is true. I do it. They don't advertise on ANN or Crunchy (though, ANN might be able to make an interest story about it?). Seiyuu Awards, too. I follow a blog called "The Hand That Feeds HQ" which covers male seiyuu and their music, so they post notices like that.

On the poll results, though...

I'm glad to see Yoshimasa Hosoya on the poll for once, since he's my favorite seiyuu, but Shouta Aoi is all the way at the bottom...
I'm always surprised that Toshiki Masuda and Toshiyuki Toyonaga are never on these polls, especially since Toyonaga won the seiyuu award.

These vary so much, though - you'll see something like this just about every month, and the results are always really different. Sure, the same names will come up, but that's because it's a list of 20-30, and there's only about 50 people likely to be listed, so any of them have about a 1/2 chance of being on it. Miyano, Kamiya, Okamoto are always going to be there, but other than that...
SakuraShimizu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Alright, Hiro Shimono! He’ll always be my favorite. I’m so proud of how far he’s come!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Well, my top 5 all made it onto the list, though I'm surprised to see Suwabe so far down on it. Glad to see Hosoya's throat issues haven't slowed him down. He's killing it in Megalobox right now.

My top 5 (Yūki Kaji gets an honorable mention for Lin in Ramens, as does Toshihiko Seki because I will always adore him):
5) Junichi Suwabe
4) Hiroshi Kamiya
3) Akira Ishida
2) Yoshimasa Hosoya
And of course #1 is Takahiro Sakurai. Smile I'm just disappointed that he's been working in so many series I won't or just can't watch. Like I'm not starting in on Yugioh VRAINS this late in the game, I'm not interested in the Soul Hunter reboot, that kids show about the cats is Barney-levels of annoying, and I couldn't even get through the whole trailer for Butt Detective, in which he plays a poop-headed thief (though I admit, he does it with style). Rolling Eyes He's barely even in Tiramisu and he just spoiler[got killed off] in Grancrest. I just hope he did get married and is spending the time with his family. But I miss 2015 when my boy was in 31 shows.
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
Personally, I'm happy to see Nakamura Yuuichi ranking so high. I think he's one of the best seiyuu in the business right now, very talented, flexible and expressive, and he definitely needs more recognition. I'm also glad to see Umehara Yuuichirou in the top 10 - he's been getting an incredible agency/industry push in the past years, so it's not all that surprising, but I think he's definitely talented, and doing well responding to expectations, improving almost audibly. I was worried when I heard him being cast as Kircheis in the new LoGH because that's so far out of his usual range, but his performance has been a very pleasant surprise so far.

(Unlike Suwabe Junichi, whom I normally like, but he was terrible as Oberstein. I'm boggling over how anyone listened to that performance and thought it was good. Poor Shiozawa Kaneto is probably spinning in his grave...)

#861208 wrote:
I'm glad to see Yoshimasa Hosoya on the poll for once, since he's my favorite seiyuu, but Shouta Aoi is all the way at the bottom...
I'm always surprised that Toshiki Masuda and Toshiyuki Toyonaga are never on these polls, especially since Toyonaga won the seiyuu award.

Aoi Shouta is a terrible actor, though. He's a good singer and for all I know he might have a terrific personality, but as far as acting goes... yeah. And sure, these lists are usually based on popularity and not on actual talent, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that listening to Aoi doing anything else than singing is kind of a turn-off.

As for Toyonaga, he hasn't been very active lately, or at least wasn't in anything particularly high profile. So I don't think he managed to amass a following large enough to rank high on polls like this. (Not to mention, I think we all know that the seiyuu award went to Yuuri on Ice, and not really him. If YoI hadn't been so popular he probably wouldn't have been considered. That's always the case with that award, even when I do agree that the winner deserved it.) Same with Masuda, I think he kind of disappeared into the idol/singing niche in the past years. It's hard to really stand out there.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I just hope he did get married and is spending the time with his family. But I miss 2015 when my boy was in 31 shows.

These guys do a lot of non-anime work though, like dubbing, narration, etc. (for example Nakamura Yuuichi just happens to be the voice of Captain America in the Marvel movies) so he's probably busy with those, too.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 am Reply with quote
And games, which I never hear since I'm not a gamer. I know he's done some ads in the past year, and some CDs, which I also don't get to hear. I wish they'd let him sing more...
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:11 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And games, which I never hear since I'm not a gamer. I know he's done some ads in the past year, and some CDs, which I also don't get to hear. I wish they'd let him sing more...

He's also regularly doing radio work (he's been doing Comchat Countdown for over 10 years, I think). Plus all those events, especially with Osomatsu-san's popularity, so all in all I think he's fairly busy!

As for singing, I think it's not that they don't let him sing, more like he won't sing. He used to sing quite a lot, but then something happened - I don't remember the specifics but IIRC he received some fan bashing/trolling over his singing, or something like that. So he basically stopped doing anisongs/anime character songs. He still sings every now and then, but not for anime (with Shirokuma Café as the notable exception).
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:28 am Reply with quote
I forget how many years I've been looking at these male seiyuu polls in general and how rarely they tend to change Laughing

I'm not sure how many of these guys are set to appear in Devils Line but it's enough that it seems the production is banking more on the cast than anything else. (Which I have no problem with as that's the main reason I'm watching it.)

I'm always glad to see Sakurai and Ishida doing well on these things as it makes me hope they'll continue to get more work. Though given how many iconic roles both have had and the archetypes that they tend to define, they could probably afford to not be on these lists. If anything I'm delighted they are able to experiment so much with roles outside their usual schtick (e.g. Sakurai as Osomatsu, Ishida as Yakumo VIII, both of them cast in Tensai Bakabon etc) and still get great fan support as that hopefully encourages casting directors to put them in more avant-garde roles.

Also it plain amuses me that Ishida continues to act as anti-idol as possible (no singing, rarely any events, hates photos, dresses frumpily and often grumbles about how old he is) yet manages to keep showing up in popularity polls.

From a Battle Royale perspective my money is on Sugita. He's been an ojiisan since his 20s, has no rival for his niche and has managed to charm plenty of anime directors and game creators so I doubt he'll ever be hurting for work.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
Bit surprised not to Namikawa Daisuke on the list. He has not been as prolific the past couple of years, but he's got a long resume playing well-known roles. Wonder if this has anything to do with his absence: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-19/voice-actor-daisuke-namikawa-apologizes-after-adultery-report/.119045
primarinas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
I'm SO shocked not to see Koyasu!! I'm assuming he doesn't have many roles this season, if any at all, but still. He should at least get some votes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2