• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Digimon Adventure tri. Film Streams on Crunchyroll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Good, I can finally put this in my queue. (I quit watching anime week to week many seasons ago, so I certainly wasn't go to wait months between each viewing of these).
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
New variety of Omnimon?
Lann

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Finally! I can start watching it!
Funchal99

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching the movie, and I have to say... Sheesh, what a terrible finale. Actually, what a terrible movie. The story made no sense and dependend on quite a lot of vague, multi-verse Digimon shared lore that didn't make for an impactful story at all. About halfway through I was already numb to it and couldn't care less about what was happening.

It's a shame, the second and third movies were excelent in my opinion, despite the crappy animation. They managed to screw the whole thing with the fourth one, kinda work through it in the fifth, and completely screw with it again in this final one.

This had so much potential. Oh well.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:01 am Reply with quote
Spoilers: It was terrible. Nothing really explained. Deus-Ex-Machina out of their ass. It was a complete waste of time.

For any digi-destined that might be reading this: if you are facing a world-ending monster that can destroy anything with a flick of its claws... DO NOT ENGAGE IT AT THE CHAMPION LEVEL FFS!!!!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Funchal99 wrote:
The story made no sense and dependend on quite a lot of vague, multi-verse Digimon shared lore that didn't make for an impactful story at all. About halfway through I was already numb to it and couldn't care less about what was happening.

While the finale and Tri as a whole has a lot of problems, what shared universe lore did the final movie have? All the lore it explored was strictly from Adventure and a small bit from 02, which is what all the Tri movies have been doing since part 1. Again the finale had a lot of problems, but if you're a long time Digimon fan, the lore in Tri isn't exactly hard to follow, and Tri is aimed at the hardcore fans.
CharlieJS3

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The people in this comment section are such pessimists and whiners.
This is why I stay away from other people who like anime.
If you had paid attention to all the films, you'd notice many of your criticisms are void af.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:33 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Funchal99 wrote:
The story made no sense and dependend on quite a lot of vague, multi-verse Digimon shared lore that didn't make for an impactful story at all. About halfway through I was already numb to it and couldn't care less about what was happening.

While the finale and Tri as a whole has a lot of problems, what shared universe lore did the final movie have? All the lore it explored was strictly from Adventure and a small bit from 02, which is what all the Tri movies have been doing since part 1.

"Ygdrasil" aka "King Drasil" aka "we can't spell Yggdrasil" is the primary antagonist of Savers/Data Squad, and Homeostasis was named in the Xros Wars lore first.

That aside, I feel like a Yuki Yuna ending would have been more appropriate than what we got, which was just enough deus ex machina to spare the original Adventure crew from any long-term consequences, and bunch of new characters built up to be the tragic cost. I was reminded of the mood whiplash from Tales of Zestiria (the game), which also took a dark turn and ended without ever properly addressing its prior optimism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1