• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Yo, Joe!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Megalo Joe reminds me of Jax from Mortal Kombat.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I plan to pick up the Tomorrow's Joe movie during the next Rightstuf Discotek sale. I'm still hoping they'll go for the complete series at some point though.

I'm also REALLY hoping that Seven Seas classic old school manga line works out (I plan to get Devilman for sure, after crybaby), and maybe they can pick up the Joe manga. I kind of want to prove to them that yes, new adaptations of older shows does make people (other than me, who already likes old school manga) pick up older manga. 20 vols condensed into omnibuses does make it less intimidating to collect.

I've been enjoying Megalobox just on its own though. Part of it is definitely how it feels like a late 90s/early 00s series with a lot of style, but that was also the era that got me into anime in the first place, so that's of course welcome to me. But since the original Tomorrow's Joe is so unknown in the US (I can't say "the west", because the internet says France and Italy got the manga years ago, France has this nice omnibuses for it too!), Megalobx is definitely standing on its own, imo. I'm quite enjoying it so far (I'm a bit behind, I will admit)
Kamieichi

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
A scene from this season's anime, Magical Girl Ore. Episode 6.
https://i.imgur.com/EVItPns.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/v71qyhb.jpg

Well, a ton of anime did this reference, so it's nothing new, though.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
So THAT'S where that sparkly/rainbow vomit comes from. I wrote in a question to Answerman a while back and never got a reply, so that was interesting. Good to know!
jroa

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I hope Megalobox doesn't end up with either the same ending or a slightly different variant of the same. That would be too depressing.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched the show nor read the manga so can't say much about it. However I have a feeling Kajiwara's own life might have influenced it quite a bit living through the war and the reconstruction afterwards, later in life only daughter kidnapped, raped and murdered, convicted of assault and drug-related charges in the 80s and spending the last years almost as unperson in the very industry he had been working in.

In light of the later controversies in his life, if things had gone only slightly differently, his life works might have been buried and there'd been no-one writing the article we're reading here today. To make a parallel to Rurouni Kenshin, I'm glad the works were not held hostage in either case just because of their creators' missteps. Which, unfortunately, happened/happens a lot in Japan, whether you're a musician or mangaka or in any other creative field.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Huh. I'd always assumed the sparkle vomit was a cheeky handling of weird censorship norms like pixelating cockroaches. Or character commentary, like Aqua spewing sparkly rainbows in Konasuba.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I would not be surprised if, in addition to AnJ being influenced by the creator's WWII experience, it was also influenced by that of the animators who were old enough to remember what it was like to live through it. Several years ago, I met AnJ's animation director, Akihiro Kanayama. I did not know it at the time, but Kanayama's father was killed by Americans in the war, so because of that, he had never visited the US before. When I met him on the first day of Japan Expo USA in 2014, he was very apprehensive. There's quite a long story involved here regarding this artist, but the TL;DR version is that, before he left, he was able to meet at least one American who didn't fit the perception he had probably had of Americans for most of his life. Definitely one of my favorite convention stories, and I say this after having met a lot of different artists throughout the years.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but the producer got cold feet when they realized that Joe's story doesn't end quite like Rocky's

It's not that different from the first Rocky movie, at least in that they both lose in a decision to the champ. True, the Rocky movie has this as a triumph of a sorts rather than quite so ambiguous, but it's somewhat similar.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Mike, you didn't have to link to one of my old reviews! That being said, Mike does exaggerate me to an extent; I don't "watch everything", I just watch the stuff seemingly no one else care to watch. Anyway, Joe vs. Joe isn't really anything special, but it's not exactly terrible. At the very least, it does a good enough job at establishing "Bad Joe" as a real douche, so at least there's a decent antagonist.

As for Tomorrow's Joe (I'm just so used to "Ashita no Joe", and then there's the "Champion Joe" name that was used for Tai Seng's original release of the movie & the 2nd TV anime over at CrunchyRoll), it's easily one of my all-time favorite series, and that's not restricting to just anime. I'd love to see the original TV version in full (I saw about 10 episodes or so years ago), but the movie edit hits all of the major plot points you need, & the 80s anime sequel can honestly be watched without needing to see the first half of the story, since Dezaki & crew recaps those early plot points throughout the entire series. It is honestly one of the few anime that I can seriously call "perfect", because the only complaint I have is that I wish supporting character Mammoth Nishi's boxing matches were actually shown, but that literally just means that my only complaint is that I wish there was more of this stuff.

I really should finally get to Megalobox, though...
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I have wanted to watch Ashita No Joe but I don't really understand...

I see CrunchyRoll has Ashita No Joe 2.. And an Ashita no Joe movie (Which I assume is a compilation movie)...

So, should I watch the compilation movie and then Ashita no Joe 2, or look for the first Ashita no Joe series on other sites (Crunchyroll doesn't have it)?

I saw on Wikipedia that the first Ashita no Joe anime is like 79 episodes long and ran from 1970 to 1971 (long before the manga ended in 1973), so I assume the first anime only covered a part of the manga? My question is, does it make a fake ending, i.e. original Full Metal Alchemist anime, or does it end in an arc that really appeared in the manga?

I ask this because if the first anime is full of filler I would gladly read the manga until I get to the second part which i can watch in Crunchyroll.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
I have wanted to watch Ashita No Joe but I don't really understand...

Long story short, you can go straight to Champion Joe 2 on CrunchyRoll if you really want, though the first compilation movie is back in print because of Discotek. Joe 2 starts where Episode 52 of the original anime left off at (the first Joe anime covered up through the fight with Carlos Rivera, so Joe 2 re-adapts a little before moving on), and throughout the entire show, Joe 2 flashes back to the most important parts of what the first anime covered, complete with brand-new animation, and it never intrudes; every flashback fits with the moment they are used. The end result is that you could, theoretically, just watch Champion Joe 2, & you'd get the overall story.

That being said, it is worth watching the compilation movie, at the very least.
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the answer LordGeo, so what I gather from this is that the best way would probably be to find Ashita no Joe 1 anime and watch it all the way to episode 52, then start Ashita no Joe 2, correct?

I got a question though, what happens from episode 53 to 79 in Ashita no Joe 1?? Is it filler? Is it an anime only story? Or are episodes 53 to 79 covered in Ashita no Joe 2 (As you mentioned AnJ2 covered part of what the previous anime had covered)

Also, I remember reading an article you wrote about boxing manga, wouldn't it be great for Rokudenashi to finally get a proper anime (ey, if Hoshin Engi and other 'forgotten' titles from the 90s have been getting remakes, it can happen)
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 3:57 pm Reply with quote
@perroloco:
The first Joe series ends at a suitable place. It just sort've ends because they ran out of material (it's not awkward, but it's clear there's more story to be had). I haven't read the entirety of the manga yet so I cannot answer with certainty that it invented a new storyline, but I can say that it absolutely does not feel like filler.

The second series aired many years after the original did at a time when hardly anyone had the ability to record stuff, so it assumes the viewer may not have seen the original at all. The first several episodes of the second series are really a remake of the last couple dozen episodes of the first series. Basically they were catching everyone up to speed who hadn't seen the original series so they could understand the events of the new material being made. It's the same story notes (sometimes even the same framing shot-for-shot), just with the more advanced animation techniques of the 1980's. It is not told as flashbacks, the story just starts at a part that was previously covered in the original series.

So the second series is perfectly acceptable to just jump in with on its own. If you want the full Joe experience, you can absolutely start with the first series, finish it (personally, I wouldn't abort finishing it to move to the second), then move on to the second series. Just know that you'll get a recap for several episodes at the beginning of the second (but it's quite awesome seeing things animated differently the second time around). I haven't seen the movie yet, so I unfortunately can't speak for it.

Hopefully that answers your concerns?
perroloco

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
It totally does Triltaison, thanks a lot Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2