• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Delays FLCL Progressive, FLCL Alternative Anime's English-subtitled Version to Novembe

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
So wait, are they planning to release the episodes subtitled in Toonami as well?
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea what this news. Post is saying. With the differwnt versions out there I got no idea what’s going on.

All that matters is something premiering tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
C'mon guys. Rolling Eyes

Adult Swim initially intended to air the English dubbed episodes of FLCL Season 2 on TV, as well as stream both it and the Japanese version on their website same day. However, knowing the Japanese release release is months away and pirated copies will float around, Production IG has requested Adult Swim delay their release of the subtitled version.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I love how they promised simulcast but then only mentioned this delay HOURS before the premiere. Pretty garbage on their end. They had years to prepare for this and iron out the details. Incompetence.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I love how they promised simulcast but then only mentioned this delay HOURS before the premiere. Pretty garbage on their end. They had years to prepare for this and iron out the details. Incompetence.

Asking for changes in plans mere hours before they're scheduled to happen is exactly how Japanese production companies work.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:10 pm Reply with quote
^ I meant that for everyone involved, not as an attack on just the US end. But the US end promised one thing and they should've (and hopefully did) done everything possible to keep that promise to it's viewers, regardless of what the JP end decided. Those episodes are done and recorded and will just sit on a HDD somewhere until November. It sucks for hard fans that prefer JP and were promised simulcast. Whatever, though. I still think it will be more of a "fanfic" than the proper sequel we wanted over a decade ago.

edit: I was gonna say that it also peeves me that they advertise it as premiering on June 2nd, when it's premiering on June 3rd but I guess when it premieres on June 3rd on the East coast, that's still June 2nd in most of the country so whatever.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Is Progressive FLCL any good? Early impressions from my friends of the artwork were pretty bad.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:39 pm Reply with quote
At least it's a good dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Is Progressive FLCL any good? Early impressions from my friends of the artwork were pretty bad.

Yea that's a lie; the artwork is not bad, but it's different from the original. Softer line work, character designs are a little cuter; backgrounds definitely have more detail to them compared to the original and the color hues are brighter. What this season lacks though compared to the original is the more dynamic storyboards, camera shots, and the squash and stretch/posing gainax loves to implore with its animation that made the series such a visually galvanic experience. That being siad, the first ep does have quite a bit of visual highlights and it would be very dishonest and short-sighted to just dismiss them. Hakuyu Go's animation supervision and Tetsuya Nishio's key cuts in the opening section of the ep shows off the visual splendor of modern web-gen animation in a way that makes aimpact almost immediately.

As for the episode quality....eeehhh I kinda need ot watch it again. FLCL is one of my favorite anime of all time so i really want to give this second season as fair of a shake as i possibly can; making sure to give it the criticism it deserves both in terms of praise and dispraise. What i will say it that this first ep has a lot of spunk and that I'm hoping future episodes really catalyze on the little bread crumbs of thematic profundity the show is trying to set up. One immediate criticism that comes to mind is that I think Hidomi's personal conflict could have used a bit more emotional clarity. I'm not saying we need to know exactly what's bothering her; but for the ep to illustrate her emotional withdrawal in more complex ways beyond "i just shut everything out." Like i said, I'm going to give the ep another watch but I ultimately came out of the ep not disliking what i saw. Now whether I remain mostly positive about this new season is gonna depend on both my rewatch of this first ep and how future eps contextualize the premiere and the series as a whole

Last edited by we love lain on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
pikkuhukka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:27 am Reply with quote
aslong as it gets jp release, im sure fansubbers will follow suite

so, no stress
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
The dub is streaming on their site.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
we love lain wrote:
Yea that's a lie; the artwork is not bad, but it's different from the original. Softer line work, character designs are a little cuter; backgrounds definitely have more detail to them compared to the original and the color hues are brighter. What this season lacks though compared to the original is the more dynamic storyboards, camera shots, and the squash and stretch/posing gainax loves to implore with its animation that made the series such a visually galvanic experience. That being siad, the first ep does have quite a bit of visual highlights and it would be very dishonest and short-sighted to just dismiss them. Hakuyu Go's key cuts in the opening section of the ep shows off the visual splendor of modern web-gen animation in a way that makes aimpact almost immediately

"Lie" is a bit strong; I don't even know what experience my friend had with the new FLCL, could've just been a random preview sequence or some select images for all I know. Glad to hear it is OK; I don't care if the art style changes. I just hope it preserves the spirit of the original.
we love lain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="NeverConvex"]
we love lain wrote:
"Lie" is a bit strong; I don't even know what experience my friend had with the new FLCL, could've just been a random preview sequence or some select images for all I know

I was using the word "lie" loosely in that context not literally but yea maybe your friend did see a preview or something. IGN had release an action scene clip for progressive, mostly likely a clip from ep 2 about a day or 2 ago and the animation there was a bit lackluster for sure. I was really disappointed because these sequels have been in planning for so long and i'd expect something with the flcl brand to have pulse-pounding animation and not the bare minimum you'd get in your average shounen. It felt like a different animation director and team of key animators were working on the ep or something. However, it was just a snippet of ep 2 and something i assumed was a minor hiccup in what would still be a visually exciting ep.....hopefully
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
They really do fear the bogyman of reverse-importation, don't they? Or in this case, it would be reverse-online pirating.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, everything pointed to this being something Production I.G. or something similar telling the people at Adult Swim to deay the subtitled version for later when they had planned to do it immediately. It makes sense, if the plans were for a November release in Japan. I do wonder what's holding them up on the Japanese end though.

As for this episode itself, right now, it seems that it's mostly laying the groundwork for the subsequent episodes. There isn't much of the wackiness characteristic of FLCL, and whatever there is is incredibly subdued, but that was how the first episode of the first part was like too until Naota meets up with Haruko. Doesn't seem like we've gotten the meet-up that qwe're promised yet, so everything's still relatively normal.

As I can't really judge otherwise, considering almost everything in this episode is a plant for a later payoff, all I can really say is that FLCL Alternative is having a rather slow start.

Also, it really DID premiere on June 2nd where I'm at, but I have the DISH Network, so I get to watch Toonami 3 hours early due to me having access to both Cartoon Network West and Cartoon Network East. And I know they don't mean cases like me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3