• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's License for Shiki Anime Expires on June 30

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Crap maybe I should finally commit to watching this ...
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

Its a great series, if you buy anime its a great series to have. Besides the SAVE edition isnt all that expensive anyway. i for one can recommend it.

I really feel sorry for you Americans that all Aniplex titles go to AoA eventually. Here we are lucky that we dont have them but yet they do influence the releases here in Europe and Australia lately. Anime seasons in split parts... that didn't happen before 2016....
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:

I definitely recommend that you should. It’s one of the most engaging anime that I’ve ever had the pleasure of viewing and it’s easily on my recommendations list. It also has a very stellar dub, so if you like dubs, go for that option if you can.

As for this news, darn. It doesn’t appear to have done well for Funimation and that’s a shame. I should get around to finally buying the Blu-ray now since I’ve only watched it on Funi’s website.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:14 am Reply with quote
Doesn't have any impact on me as I live in Australia and already own the series.
I hope Crunchyroll can hold onto it for a little bit longer; I want as many people to watch the series as possible.(It's my favourite anime)
TheMorry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:32 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

I definitely recommend that you should. It’s one of the most engaging anime that I’ve ever had the pleasure of viewing and it’s easily on my recommendations list. It also has a very stellar dub, so if you like dubs, go for that option if you can.

As for this news, darn. It doesn’t appear to have done well for Funimation and that’s a shame. I should get around to finally buying the Blu-ray now since I’ve only watched it on Funi’s website.
. It has nothing to do with he fact it sold well or not for Funimation. Its an Aniplex title. So all Aniplex titles will go to Aniplex of America eventually. But kinda ironic ... Funimation and Aniplex are both from Sony now xD.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:34 am Reply with quote
Good thing I finally got around to tracking down a (slightly beaten) version of the LE BD on eBay when someone in the Black Butler II expiration thread mentioned this was also going away.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:42 am Reply with quote
This is an awesome show, watch it while you can!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:53 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
I hope Crunchyroll can hold onto it for a little bit longer

Quite unlikely as this was a "hand me down" from Funi, the series is not a big shonen hit and aniplex must want a pretty penny for the streaming rights.

It is sad that next Halloween people will no longer be able to watch it, but at least I got my s.a.v.e box set.

There is this theory that vampire flicks and series are made when a democrat president is on office and zombie flick (imo AoT is in that category) are done with a republican president so it seems it will be a few years before we get some new vampire anime.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:54 am Reply with quote
Never seen this one, but I should probably buy it soon seeing as it’s like $18 on Amazon right now.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:40 am Reply with quote
man it seems like Funi is losing a lot of their old titles
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:33 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
harminia wrote:
I hope Crunchyroll can hold onto it for a little bit longer

Quite unlikely as this was a "hand me down" from Funi, the series is not a big shonen hit and aniplex must want a pretty penny for the streaming rights.

It is sad that next Halloween people will no longer be able to watch it, but at least I got my s.a.v.e box set.

There is this theory that vampire flicks and series are made when a democrat president is on office and zombie flick (imo AoT is in that category) are done with a republican president so it seems it will be a few years before we get some new vampire anime.

What does the political party of an American president have to do with Japanese anime? (BTW, next season has a new season of Attack on Titan and *two* new vampire animes!)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
man it seems like Funi is losing a lot of their old titles

Aside from Aniplex wanting to take back their older titles as licenses expire, there is also the issue of those that simply don't economically justify renewal. If it title didn't sell well and wouldn't be getting another home video release, and the publisher wants too much for the streaming rights vs. the number of viewers, it gets shown the door.

In any case, the number of new titles coming in the door each season exceeds the number of those exiting.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:07 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
I really feel sorry for you Americans that all Aniplex titles go to AoA eventually. Here we are lucky that we dont have them but yet they do influence the releases here in Europe and Australia lately. Anime seasons in split parts... that didn't happen before 2016....

No need to feel sorry for us. It is not like we were never offered the opportunity to buy a physical copy. I rather be living in the U.S. because we get legal access to most anime.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:21 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Never seen this one, but I should probably buy it soon seeing as it’s like $18 on Amazon right now.

Not gonna rave about it... but it's definitely worth $18
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
Guess this explains the posts I seen from Funi on Facebook last night talking about Shiki being underrated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3