• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell is Happening in Darling in the FRANXX?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:36 am Reply with quote
Well, I suppose i should comment on this

First, the heteronormativity thing. While I do admit that the show's messages about sexuality aren't the best, i think it comes from a disconnect between how the Japanese and American populations view sexual issues. While this may seem like exoticism, Japan does ahve a different history when it comes to dealing with homosexuality so there may be some disconnect between how we view it and how they view it. Even if that wasn't the case, I also feel the show isn't trying to be malicious. As the saying goes, don't blame on malice what can be blamed on stupidity. In this case, I think the show doesn't' understand the full scope of it's topic.

Second, the romance. Yes, it sucks to me, it's utterly shallow and overly saccharine for my taste. At the same time, i can't fault anyone for wanting a romance like that, one characterized by a deep connection to someone to the point that you only think of that person.

Third, the reveal. Honestly, it's stupid and done way too close to the end but i might as well see how this train wreak ends.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Again with the Franxx. It feels like they're beating a dead horse here. Those who were turned off by the non progressive views of the show already agree with ANN on this. I don't think they are going to convince someone of the evils of having differing opinions. I wouldn't bother commenting normally but it seems like they've given Franxx a disproportionate amount of articles since it started disagreeing with the views of ANN. I'm all for people having opinions and I feel freedom of speech is important on both sides but this seems like desperation to squash any chance that someone might agree with the show. Those who do still will and those who don't still won't. Those who don't care and just want to watch anime for amusement aren't going to be swayed. Seems like a waste of time to say the same thing again and again. I'll admit I didn't read the whole article. I got to the point where the writers started going on again about gender and stuff and thought "they've said this a few times already on this site" and moved on. Maybe the article has good stuff to say but it feels like they feel a need to beat the dead horse first. The more you swing the less confidence you have in your first strike. Be confident in your opinions, whatever they are. Don't just repeat them hoping to drown the opposition.

I apologise for the length of this post. It became a bit of a rant. I will not be reading other posts in response to this article as that would require caring so if you disagree I won't know.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
At this point, I'm debating whether to finish this show. On the one hand, I've made it this far and it still has some qualities that are at least interesting in the moment. On the other hand, it progressively feels more like a chore that I check of my list each week.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
At this point, I'm debating whether to finish this show. On the one hand, I've made it this far and it still has some qualities that are at least interesting in the moment. On the other hand, it progressively feels more like a chore that I check of my list each week.

Then don't watch it. I'm not even trying to be snide or anything. It's just that, why would you keep watching something you don't like, if the end result is you (this you is for everyone, not to you in particular) coming to forum's shit on it?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
SlamMan wrote:
Again with the Franxx.

So the reason FRANXX keeps coming up is twofold.

1) We happen to be discussing it basically every other week or so on ANNCast, which doesn't usually happen, so the subject comes up more often than usual. However, more people read reviews and articles on the site than listen to the podcast, so if you're in that camp, you won't be familiar with all the time devoted to FRANXX chat. Setting the podcast aside, we've only run a couple editorials like TWIA (only their second time discussing it) and the weekly reviews.

2) FRANXX is very popular and generates a lot of discussion, so we want to facilitate that by devoting more editorial to it and publishing more takes on the material. ANN is not a hivemind, and my opinion of the show will be different from Zac's will be different from James's will be different from Nick's and Steve's. At least, that's the intention. The fact that there's a lot of overlap just means that FRANXX happens to fall on the sour side for a pretty wide swath of critics, and this is reflected in the show's nosediving user reviews and ratings as well. So while we'd be happy to post more positive takes on FRANXX as well, the general critical reception to the show across many of our staff members has been negative. Just the way it goes sometimes.
OutCastLV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
gurren lagann plot vibes anyone?
kinda strongly gives the ctrl c ctrl v feels with few changes
seltzermx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
While I wholeheartedly agree that everyone should have their own opinion, I don't watch anime to see what the scriptwriters thoughts on "heteronormativity" are. Getting tired of ANN beating this dead horse every week. Regretting my premium subscription. I'll go back to RandomC where they actually enjoy what they watch.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
seltzermx wrote:
While I wholeheartedly agree that everyone should have their own opinion, I don't watch anime to see what the scriptwriters thoughts on "heteronormativity" are. Getting tired of ANN beating this dead horse every week. Regretting my premium subscription. I'll go back to RandomC where they actually enjoy what they watch.

Here is the thing

If we subscribe to the idea of auteur theory, then that would mean that the world views and ideals of the screenwriters and directors are part in the work. In other words, what the show has to say about heteronormativity is what the scriptwriters and director want to say

And it's not like we can argue that "the show isn't trying to say anything" because they spent quite a while in the first half talking about relationships so that is a part of the show's overarching narrative
Gundamcero

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I enjoy RandomC for their reviews and that they actually like what they watch. Not really fun to come here and see reviews from opinionated people who just like to hate on things. To much nitpicking and I don't even believe they fully understand what the series is about. I can agree the series isn't perfect but I think for what it is it has been pretty great. Maybe people should wait till it is over before writing it off. Confused
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say thanks for the spoiler in the thumbnail.

The "heteronormativity" thing is dead horse already. Not even the right word. "heteronormativity" by definition is homophobic, and I've not yet seen the anime actually do anything homophobic. They've only gone as far as to push what is "normal", which makes the the use of the word understandable here but it's incorrect. Unless you think the focusing on the traditional gender pairings itself is "Homophobic" in which case I would just facepalm.

As for the rest of it, Hyperbole IMO. None of these "Twists" were really that unexpected. Watch enough A-1 and Trigger and none of this should've come as a surprise. The show got pretty hollow around the midway point, IMO.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hey, remember when we found out that Futoshi had an eating disorder? And then it got resolved in five minutes, and by resolved I mean it just never came up again? That's a super great way to address a serious psychological disorder!
See I thought that Futoshi had an eating disorder too, which would've been an interesting direction to go with him, but as the episode went on it became apparent that he actually just had nausea or something as a consequence of the adults no longer tuning the parasites, like Miku's white hairs or Goro's and Ikuno's fevers. As far as I recall, he wasn't inducing vomiting, but just was vomiting.

As for Franxx itself, I like the show and a lot and get swept up in the passion more than I consider the things that could've been done better (which do exist, looking at you Mitsuru). But things like FRANXX IS FOR NAZIS AND IF YOU LIKE IT YOU'RE A NAZI and GOD I HATE EVERYONE FROM THIS STUPID FANBASE just make me roll my eyes.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
OutCastLV wrote:
gurren lagann plot vibes anyone?
kinda strongly gives the ctrl c ctrl v feels with few changes

Kind of, except Lagann's whole thing was about ridiculous spectacle that made no sense (basically trying to bring back the good ol' days of super robot shows). Franxx is just a mess that hasn't earned that kind of twist and plot development nor does it have the spectacle to at least be entertaining.

Put its themes (or what are attempting to be themes) in there and then the whole thing becomes really gross and reductive, advocating for a view of gender we know is false at this point and doubling down on ideas that have never worked.
Gabriel Augusto Vidigal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ANN really hates Darling in the Frankxx, such a pity, just wish they had a better motive for that, all this "heteronormativity" thing is really annoying.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Show has been subpar, not much mech action and the story wasn't well thought out. Even if you didn't care for the story in KLK it at least has good action scenes for the most part, but this series, not so much.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I was watching this show up to episode 6. It wasn´t offering anything meaningful, so I dropped it. Now I´m seeing many poor souls suffering while watching this unfocused and underdeveloped mess that isn´t even impressive(or that impressive) on the technical front. Also, the next time everyone wants to champion the phrase "2D mechas should come back. 3D mechas are bad and awful and lack creativity", you should ensure the series is good, and this one is so bad, that I kinda hope japanese producers focus more on 3D mecha series until they know how to do one with 2D mechas that doesn´t have bad writing.

If you made it so far into a series and isn´t giving you anything meaningful, drop it no matter if it´s only 3-4 episodes before finishing it
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8