• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Advertorial: Advice for Aspiring Manga Artists, from Manga Artists!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the green death

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
Soon to be followed up with a further series of “words of advice” by the same group of women to never trust TOKYOPOP after none of them receive their checks and they lose the rights to their series.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am Reply with quote
Well, most of those artists published their works with Tokyopop Germany first, back when StuLevy wasn't involved much in it yet. So I don't think they'll ever get the full Tokyopop-treatment that so many OEL artists got back in the day.

It was really telling, though, how Guilt|Pleasure (Jo Chen) immediately seeked to drop their contract with TP Germany once StuLevy took over.

It's amazing to me how certain individuals seem to think that the internet ever forgets their behavior from the past. Maybe keeping that in mind would have been better advice.
Shiratori-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
And if you are a great master at writing stories but you draw like monkey?
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:51 am Reply with quote
I clicked on this through a tweet on twitter that did not show it was an ad. Had I realized this I would not have bothered. While the ANN website categorizes its content by review, news, interest etcetera, there is no excuse not to at the very least present paid ads as such on social media too. I also find it incredibly disappointing that ANN has accepted money from the likes of Tokyopop. It's a poisonous tree as far as I'm concerned (even if the German branch wasn't as bad).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
If Manga, according to these girls, no longer means a graphic novel, or comic if you want. from Japan. Then what is a Manga. Is it a certain art style or does the work have contain certain tropes.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:

Then do it in Ashirogi Muto style.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:

Fret not! For there is already a manga that addresses this very issue! And can even teach you very useful tricks (such as "just draw closeups of large breasts!") Seriously though, the manga is so damn funny, read it!
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori-san wrote:

ONE isn't exactly a great artist, but doesn't stop his works from being popular and adapted.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:04 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
I clicked on this through a tweet on twitter that did not show it was an ad. Had I realized this I would not have bothered. While the ANN website categorizes its content by review, news, interest etcetera, there is no excuse not to at the very least present paid ads as such on social media too.

Ahh, I'm not certain if that's a shortcoming in our script that posts new articles to Twitter, or if it's something that was done manually, but I'll make sure it's fixed in the future. It definitely should have been labelled as either an "ad" or "advertorial."
uguu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:29 am Reply with quote
A competent look into the industry of western comics inspired by the most globally mainstream aesthetics of Japanese comics.... but the title said this would be about "manga".

Felipe Smith made an actual manga and was part of the manga industry. Meanwhile this type of writing would be more fit for a site like ComicsAlliance. "Manga" is not a style; there's frankly less reasons to call it that than there are justifications for calling "anime" a style.

Meongantuk wrote:
Shiratori-san wrote:

ONE isn't exactly a great artist, but doesn't stop his works from being popular and adapted.

He's not a great illustrator but he understand visual storytelling which is what matters the most in this industry. And Mob, the one that got published as-is, is way more polished than OPM.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1