• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop to Release Collector's Edition of Kozue Amano's Aria Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Honestly not sure how to feel about this. I love Aria, but Tokyopop...

Have they at least got actually competent translators now?
Demonic+Elemental

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm out of the loop on this. Is the "new" reincarnated Tokyopop under new management or is it still being run by Stu Levy?
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Demonic+Elemental wrote:
I'm out of the loop on this. Is the "new" reincarnated Tokyopop under new management or is it still being run by Stu Levy?

It's still run by Stu Levy.
Saito?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Suxinn wrote:
Honestly not sure how to feel about this. I love Aria, but Tokyopop...
Have they at least got actually competent translators now?

Totally agree, wish someone else would have picked it up.
Also, does this mean they plan on actually completing the series?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I dearly want to collect the rest of Aria in English. On the other hand, f*** Tokyopop. At the end of the day, one of these is going to have to win out, and as much as I would like to focus on the positives, buy a wonderful iyashikei manga, and not be ruled by anger and hate... f*** Tokyopop, Stu Levy, and the horse he rode in on.
Saito? wrote:
Also, does this mean they plan on actually completing the series?

Plan to? Most likely. Actually make good on that? I wouldn't bet on it.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Fool me once, shame on Tokyopop. Fool me twice…
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait to see a translation riddled with "whassup" jokes and outdated slang. Thanks a lot Stu. All I can hope is that it goes to digital at some point, ends up in a Humble Bundle, and then I can just have all the money go to a charity instead of bankrolling their sorry rears.

Last edited by ZeetherKID77 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
It really says a lot about how far Tokyo Pop has sunk that ANN didn't have a correspondent at the panel, and nobody bothered to email them about the news until two days later.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that Tokyopop has been so indelibly tainted by Stu Levy's management, among other issues, to the point that I actively don't want to support anything they announce now.

Even if you somehow put aside the past, what if you start collecting that favorite series ONCE AGAIN and it doesn't get released in its entirety for some ridiculous reason?
hikura

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
It's a shame that Tokyopop has been so indelibly tainted by Stu Levy's management, among other issues, to the point that I actively don't want to support anything they announce now.

Even if you somehow put aside the past, what if you start collecting that favorite series ONCE AGAIN and it doesn't get released in its entirety for some ridiculous reason?

While i am quaoting you this is more of comment to anyone.If you do not think they will put it out.You can wait till it all comes out then buy the entire series that way.Problem solved.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I wanna buy this but UGH TOKYOPOP.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

While i am quaoting you this is more of comment to anyone.If you do not think they will put it out.You can wait till it all comes out then buy the entire series that way.Problem solved.

If it all comes out.

I don't trust DJ Milky with any dead trees at this point.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Those covers had better not be final. Aria is not supposed to be sexy. It's the sweetest, most sedate franchise around. It should be kept that way.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Well, not buying the early volumes would be a pretty good way to make sure it doesn't get completely released.

gridsleep wrote:
Those covers had better not be final. Aria is not supposed to be sexy. It's the sweetest, most sedate franchise around. It should be kept that way.
Take it up with Kozue Amano then, because those covers appear to be from the Aria: The Masterpiece Japanese edition. It's not like TokyoPop is trying to "trick out" the franchise by putting together their own scandalous (in the Victorian era?) leg-flashing artwork here.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Well, not buying the early volumes would be a pretty good way to make sure it doesn't get completely released.

I can understand the wisdom in that, but having purchased over a dozen Tokyopop titles as they were being released and having them now sit unfinished on my shelves leaves me gun-shy to invest in anything from Tokyopop before it's fully released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2