• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Reborn!'s Akira Amano Draws 1-Shot Manga About Ice Hockey

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
FINALY the hockey manga I've been waiting for. The only one I know of up till now was "My Heavenly Hockey Club".
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, bout time. Strange how hockey is kind of ignored in Japan. It's a sport that is advantageous for people who aren't as burly in build. There are some famous big players but there are many like Selanne who are just small guys. Which Japan could easily play into bishounen themes. Not to mention their love for high speed battling and the high speed action hockey entails. Shounen hockey series would be perfect.

Guess they just don't like the contact nature of the sport. But come on, theres Sumo there and Judo...other martial arts. So it can't just be the perception of the sport in their eyes.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 am Reply with quote
It's surprising to me that they'd go through the trouble of working with an equipment manufacturer for a one-shot ...

That Bauer gear is an official inclusion, right? Laughing
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
Oh man, now we just need this to be turned into an anime, so we can mark ice hockey off the "sports that haven't been made into anime yet" list. Now I just need an Inazuma Eleven style minigolf anime.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for an ice hockey manga for a good couple of decades now! I know a lot of Canadian manga fans will be very happy to see this! Very Happy
Squidslinger wrote:
Guess they just don't like the contact nature of the sport. But come on, theres Sumo there and Judo...other martial arts. So it can't just be the perception of the sport in their eyes.

That's comparing apples to oranges. Judo and Sumo require physical contact, hockey, in its original state doesn't. The ramming of the player against the boards is more for a thrill than anything. It is honestly not part of the game as much as the fans like to say otherwise.
glassedl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
That's comparing apples to oranges. Judo and Sumo require physical contact, hockey, in its original state doesn't. The ramming of the player against the boards is more for a thrill than anything. It is honestly not part of the game as much as the fans like to say otherwise.

Just to add, judo and sumo are the native sports there, so I'm not surprised if that's one of the factors for their popularity. Very Happy

In another note, I guess the part where Japan women's ice hockey team got qualified for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games could also be factor for the sport choice. It is slowly getting steam in the news there lately. So maybe...? Idk... Confused Confused

Well, that's my two cents at least. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1