• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: August 10 Declared Patlabor Day in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Has Patlabor got a new entry coming? The timing just feels a bit random is all.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Impressive for a franchise that hasn't had a anime series, movie or OVA in over 20 years now. (I know there was a live action version but still...) But then Patlabor is the actual best real robot series after all.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Here is a thought. Macross fans complain that they have not had legal access to any of the franchise's works made beyond the mid-1990s.

In doing so, they overlook how fortunate they are compared to Patlabor fans: extra-legal though the practice may be, at least they still have more recent things to enjoy aside from a spin-off film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Isn't there some live action things happening soon?

Don't care much live action so I didn't pay much attention
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Aside from the live-action stuff which I haven't been paying much attention to, the last big thing to come from the franchise was the reboot ova that served as the last Japan Animator Expo short back in 2016. It is somewhat interesting to note that the director and scriptwriter of that, Yasuhiro Yoshiura (of Time of Eve, Patema Inverted fame) doesn't seem to have shown up in anything since then, leading some to speculate that it could serve as a prototype for an upcoming new anime series that is still in the production phase. Of course, with Khara being behind the short, if there is truth to that theory, we'll likely be waiting a good while, at least until Eva 4.0 is finished. Can't hurt to dream I guess
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I'd like Oshii to make another (animated) Patlabor movie.

I mean, because without Oshii, most of Patlabor sucks. And without Patlabor, most of Oshii sucks. They need each other.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd like Oshii to make another (animated) Patlabor movie.

I mean, because without Oshii, most of Patlabor sucks. And without Patlabor, most of Oshii sucks. They need each other.

Didn't Oshii just stop making anime and only does live action now?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone here is interested, Maiden Japan is releasing a Patlabor Ultimate Blu-ray Collection in November. All three movies, the TV series, The New Files OVAs, and the original OVA series.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 am Reply with quote
Now playing to celebrate: Kenji Kawai - Patlabor Concert Tour '92 Project Tokyo - a great live CD one might be able to find secondhand.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:21 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Oshii's work on Urusei Yatsura and Ghost in the Shell sucked? I find that hard to be a consensus!
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:28 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Has Patlabor got a new entry coming?

Aside from the live-action stuff which I haven't been paying much attention to, the last big thing to come from the franchise was the reboot ova that served as the last Japan Animator Expo short back in 2016.

There is a 2018 website out there. Also, there were some talks about a "Patlabor EZY", no?
https://patlabor.tokyo/
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Oshii's work on Urusei Yatsura and Ghost in the Shell sucked? I find that hard to be a consensus!

Hey, I said "most". His GitS movies aren't really that great in retrospect. The first one is groundbreaking, but as a story it's lacking, and the second is barely worth watching. He peaked with Patlabor 2. Just as Patlabor peaked with Patlabor 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lumclaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
Compelled to Reply wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Oshii's signature style is very different from Rumiko Takahashi. When he at last got to take charge and make Beautiful Dreamer the way he wanted (unlike the safer approach to Only You), the experience changed his career for good. Oshii soon departed Urusei Yatsura and left its loony comedy behind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1