• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Weekly Cosplay - Hey Jay is the Best Jeanist, Naturally

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She also eschews wigs in favor incorporating natural Black hairstyles.

I think wigs tend to look pretty bad so opting out of a wig if you're willing to alter your real hair for the cosplay tends to produce better results. Her Jeanist would have been far worse off with some fake looking wig because she nailed that hair. Kakashi on the other hand didn't turn out as well, but win some, lose some. Actually, I'm kind of curious why her Kakashi hair didn't turn out that silver. I would have thought that if you can do blond then you could do platinum blonde? Is the latter just much more difficult to dye for some reason?

I also thought it was interesting that she started 4 years ago with Sesshoumaru. That seems like way past when Inuyasha was popular? Or perhaps it has a much stronger following than I give it credit for.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I also thought it was interesting that she started 4 years ago with Sesshoumaru. That seems like way past when Inuyasha was popular? Or perhaps it has a much stronger following than I give it credit for.

Oh it definitely does. A whole generation of fans practically grew up with that show running endlessly on [adult swim].

That Best Jeanist is cracking me up in the best possible way. Well done. Very Happy
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
Just when I was wondering if she always cosplays characters who cover their faces I see the pic of her as Gambit. Looking good!
As for Best Jeanist, a denim turtleneck that covers your face sounds like the most uncomfortable thing to wear. Kudos!
casenumber00

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 am Reply with quote
Can you focus on prop makers too? I use to make replica swords, guns, staffs, and such to cosplayers with the one who bought often came back to buy more. I put in just as much of work as them from learning to work machines, intimately know my materials, and designing the item. I had fun and a great time making items from learning new techniques, making discoveries about materials and meeting other like minders workers. I finally had to stop because enough cosplayers were doing that instagram thing asking me for free stuff and say they will take pictures with my work and promote me then call me terrible things when I asked for the sum I set in my store. I think through that, I found I liked people who liked to work with their hands, better their craft, and do what they love than fame chasers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1