• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 6th Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Anime Film's Trailer Previews Ginga Warship

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:49 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure what has me the most excited:

spoiler[- The return of Berger as Captain of Neo Balgrey]

or

spoiler[- Gattai Battleships!]

or

spoiler[- the scope of the next big battle].

Plus:

spoiler[More insight into Zordar's and Sabera's background].
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:43 am Reply with quote
Don't know how close they are following the original series. When I went back and watched the one 2199 was based on, I saw some improvements to the characters and plot. 2202 however, has kinda left me questioning so far.
spoiler[
It's not as well thought out as the original. Like you could tell the original series and the series for 2202 had different writers. That or all the effort was spent on the first. Then the 2nd just feels cobbled together. Especially after the most recent episodes with Teresa.

Part of the problem is the Gatlantis forces don't have much of a showing in 2199 other than getting their butts kicked. Then the Celestial Ark movie that really brings them up, still leaves a lot of questions regarding their overall power vs Gamillas. Though the Ark film does give them more personality than they have in 2202.

In 2202 you at least find out they are basically Macross aliens who have no emotions and are cloned to fight. Which doesn't answer why in 2199 they just are barely a blip instead of being a true rival to Gamillas, but it does give you some concept as to where the story is going and why this is "Warriors of Love."

If anything 2202 damages the narrative of Gamillas expanding and generally seeming unopposed. There was clearly opposition in the form of Gatlantis. A much greater threat than the Yamato. I could watch 2199 over and over again and be happy but 2202, ehh I doubt it. Specially because so far no Melda Ditz...]
Sandstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:45 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
I'm not sure what has me the most excited:

spoiler[- The return of Berger as Captain of Neo Balgrey]

or

spoiler[- Gattai Battleships!]

or

spoiler[- the scope of the next big battle].

Plus:

spoiler[More insight into Zordar's and Sabera's background].

Dude, they're all equally awesome. I was grinning ear to ear. That attack on the Comet Empire looks epic as hell. I wish I could see it in the theaters.

Can't wait to get my hands on the model kits that will be coming out. Give me the neo Balgray.....hell, just give me every ship in that trailer. I'll be happy.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
I guess spoiler[we don't have to wonder if Yamato will ever take off again now....]

Also with spoiler[Berger showing up again I think Ark of the Stars being licensed needs to happen soon, since people might be wondering why he's become an ally besides the whole Earth-Gamilas alliance thing]

Loving the fight scenes and Todo is still an awesome captain.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:34 am Reply with quote
Now I just need to wait for the dub to catch up.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Don't know how close they are following the original series. When I went back and watched the one 2199 was based on, I saw some improvements to the characters and plot. 2202 however, has kinda left me questioning so far.

2202’s plot is drastically different from the original version of the second series.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm glad to hear that. I recently finished the old Yamato III and will at last start 2199 after watching Final Yamato. I liked the "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato" retconned movie version of the Comet Empire war, but Yamato 2 introduced some frustrations which I hope were minimized or averted in 2202.
getumbuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
spoiler[
It's not as well thought out as the original. Like you could tell the original series and the series for 2202 had different writers. That or all the effort was spent on the first. Then the 2nd just feels cobbled together. Especially after the most recent episodes with Teresa.

Part of the problem is the Gatlantis forces don't have much of a showing in 2199 other than getting their butts kicked. Then the Celestial Ark movie that really brings them up, still leaves a lot of questions regarding their overall power vs Gamillas. Though the Ark film does give them more personality than they have in 2202.

In 2202 you at least find out they are basically Macross aliens who have no emotions and are cloned to fight. Which doesn't answer why in 2199 they just are barely a blip instead of being a true rival to Gamillas, but it does give you some concept as to where the story is going and why this is "Warriors of Love."

If anything 2202 damages the narrative of Gamillas expanding and generally seeming unopposed. There was clearly opposition in the form of Gatlantis. A much greater threat than the Yamato. I could watch 2199 over and over again and be happy but 2202, ehh I doubt it. Specially because so far no Melda Ditz...]

I agree, I miss Melda Ditz as well. I hope we get to see her at some point, before this sequel is over. It's weird, nearly all the Gamillas were standout characters, who were quite memorable, but these Gatlantians are just so dam boring in comparison.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:55 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Oh, I'm glad to hear that. I recently finished the old Yamato III and will at last start 2199 after watching Final Yamato. I liked the "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato" retconned movie version of the Comet Empire war, but Yamato 2 introduced some frustrations which I hope were minimized or averted in 2202.

Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato is not a retconned movie version of the Comet Empire War. Both the movie and TV series versions were worked on in parallel. Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato opened in cinemas on August 5, 1978, while Yamato 2 premiered on Japanese television on October 14, 1978. Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato wound up its cinema run on October 27, the day before the third episode of the TV series aired.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:37 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato is not a retconned movie version of the Comet Empire War. Both the movie and TV series versions were worked on in parallel. Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato opened in cinemas on August 5, 1978, while Yamato 2 premiered on Japanese television on October 14, 1978. Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato wound up its cinema run on October 27, the day before the third episode of the TV series aired.

You might want to correct this fan wiki entry, then: http://yamato.wikia.com/wiki/Farewell_to_Space_Battleship_Yamato

"A massive fan outcry to the film convinced the show's creators to make a second season of the TV series based on the film, but with a much different ending. As such, the events of Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato are now considered to be an alternate storyline altogether and is no longer regarded as official canon."
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:49 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Squidslinger wrote:

2202’s plot is drastically different from the original version of the second series.

It still bears considerable resemblance to Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato in character design and when comparing the plot differences between the movie and the Yamato 2 TV series. They've brought additional elements into it, for sure, but the 1978 movie is still the base they've made the series from, with an element or two from the 1978-9 TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1