• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Is Funimation Producing So Many Simuldubs?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:48 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I learned from a panel with Chris Bevins is that engineers rotate on a schedule now so they can get to know different directors and jump right in if somebody got sick. You'll also see credits for assistant ADR directors more often these days because Funimation added evening recording shifts to help keep up. From some of the commentaries I've heard, one benefit of that is that some actors that have full-time jobs have gotten back into dubbing because they can record after work.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I know Funimation posted some videos on their youtube page on the behind-the-scenes aspect of simuldubbing a show, if this week's Answerman piqued your interest.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:18 pm Reply with quote
One of the things I’m impressed with these Simuldubs is how despite their tough scheduling, if the anime is a sequel or adaptation then Funimation will try their damned hardest to get the same cast of voice actors even if they’re out of state. From getting Johnny Yong Bosch for the third season of Free, to having the entire main cast return for Tales of Zesteria X.

Thanks to advancements in equipment, it’s easier to use dub actors from out of state, but damn it still can’t be cheap or easy to do this.

I think the Simuldub I’m most impressed with is Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Days. The actual anime is (imo) a bit cringey and mediocre. But there’s 50+ male characters that pop in and out through both seasons, and they all have a unique voice actor. Not one of them is reused. They’re pretty much using every male, and sometimes, female actor Funi has in their talent pool. That must have been crazy.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
It should also be noted that Funi really committed to simuldubbing, and early. They started small with only a few shows per season then slowly grew and invested more into the process, promising to rerecord lines if lip flaps change for the home video release or the actor just couldn't finish their role for the week or rest of the season. That alone is a pretty big deal.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I am honestly not that surprised that Funimation is churning out so many simuldubs per season because they are spending a ton of resources on it. I prefer dubbing shows all at once before the disc release because I am always wary of the quality of simuldubs, and I don't like the 3-4 weeks wait.
Vadara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's very interesting, because if you go solely off of internet commentary, the overwhelming majority of anime fans prefer subs, yet the sheer amount of simuldubs happening can only point to dubs being heavily appreciated by a large but almost entirely quiet subset of the fanbase.
KyokoBestMeguca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember when they started in 2016 MHA was one of their first ever simuldubs. I knew simuldubs could be really good when I watched the dub for Drifters.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yea it's really impressive. I'm amazed at how high quality they are too. Some of the best dubs come from the simuldub era

This also really expanded the number of VA FUNi now uses. Like some mentiomned, shows like Touken Ranbu really show how many VAs they have.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:50 pm Reply with quote
KyokoBestMeguca wrote:
I remember when they started in 2016 MHA was one of their first ever simuldubs. I knew simuldubs could be really good when I watched the dub for Drifters.

MHA was their first same-day dub in 2017. Laughing under the clouds was their first simuldub back in 2014.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:00 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
KyokoBestMeguca wrote:

MHA was their first same-day dub in 2017. Laughing under the clouds was their first simuldub back in 2014.

Actually, I think Akiba’s Trip was their very first attempt at day and date simuldub. It only worked for 2 weeks, but was impressive at the time. Gonzo has been very cooperative with the Idea of simuldubs, as they did it again with 18if. MHA was the first series they had a lot of success doing it with, though.

Funi has been doing great with their simuldubs. I’ve been happy with the results. Although, I do think that as mentioned in this article, some shows get preferential treatment. Which is understandable.

If there is one weakness they have, it’s commiting to shows that end up being total wastes of time and money (Hand Shakers being the most obvious example).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I much prefer having completed shows dubbed, everyone on the team knows what the show is, who the characters are and they can do it in sections or all at once, instead of drifting in and out of it amongst 5 other titles.Which is probably why we haven't seen a really good for sometime.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

Wait, wasn't it Space Dandy back in 2014? I remember Toonami making a really big deal about it.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:

Actually, I think Akiba’s Trip was their very first attempt at day and date simuldub. It only worked for 2 weeks, but was impressive at the time. Gonzo has been very cooperative with the Idea of simuldubs, as they did it again with 18if. MHA was the first series they had a lot of success doing it with, though.

Funi has been doing great with their simuldubs. I’ve been happy with the results. Although, I do think that as mentioned in this article, some shows get preferential treatment. Which is understandable.

If there is one weakness they have, it’s commiting to shows that end up being total wastes of time and money (Hand Shakers being the most obvious example).

You are correct, I completely forgot even if I watched both of their simuldubs. MHA was their first big succesful one then, yeah.

Kiddo626 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

Wait, wasn't it Space Dandy back in 2014? I remember Toonami making a really big deal about it.

Does Spance Dandy count as a simuldub? Pretty sure Its situation is different.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:

IIRC, it was, and it was a big deal, considering the English version aired first before the JP version did. (Except for an episode or 2 here and there in JP that they aired early before the English one.)
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
What's even more impressive is that while MHA is at a two-week delay on the dub now, they kept up same-day release for months. That's just insane.

To this day I have no idea how they managed Space Dandy. I assume the entire thing was almost finished before the first episode even aired to avoid the dreaded production schedule slip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2