• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Alice & Zoroku BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
This one has been on my "Plan To Watch" list for quite a long while. Hopefully i'll be able to get around to it one of these days, sounds like a nice story.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:34 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun show to watch. I was expecting it to go more along the lines of Solty Rei, but I can't say I was disappointed with the direction it took.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first half of the season and especially Noto Mamiko's performance as Minnie C. After that I thought the story quickly fell apart. Zoroku in particular pretty much leaves the scene after the midpoint, and the show suffers as a result.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I liked the first half of the season and especially Noto Mamiko's performance as Minnie C. After that I thought the story quickly fell apart. Zoroku in particular pretty much leaves the scene after the midpoint, and the show suffers as a result.

I'm in agreement. I liked the show as a whole, but the first half was definitely the show at it's strongest, and honestly, you could watch only the first 7 episodes and come away satisfied. And since you brought up Minnie C., I wanna bring up how great Colleen Clinkenbeard's performance was. It helps that ADR Director Clifford Chapin cast Colleen's IRL husband, Patric Carroll, as Minnie's deceased husband. I think it really helped further strengthen Colleen's performance because of the added realism.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
John Swasey using his gruffest voice was the natural choice for Zoroku, but he sometimes seems constrained in how far to go with Zoroku's attitude

I'm sure he sounds fine. He did great as Kumatetsu in The Boy and the Beast (which I recall was another role he was criticized for in the same vein here), so I have no concerns over his performance as Zoroku.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

I don't see it that way. The "bad witch" arc (my own name for it) was not at all bad, since it spoiler[forced Sana to face her "being frazzled" without Zoroku's guidance.]
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
This one failed the three episode test for me last year. Didn't seem to know what tone it wanted to have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1