• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Release the Spyce

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Uh, am I reading that Ep 2 score correctly? 0.8?
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Community score for ep. 2 currently is 0,9? That bad?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:27 pm Reply with quote
In episode 1, I found some of the action scenes especially the car chase to be oddly slower paced for what's supposed to be an adrenaline rush. Thankfully, episode 2 felt a lot more fun with Momo's training, and how utterly Hollywood this series has taken with the spy stuff even more like a lavish hidden command center and crazy gadgets. It even has a Mission Impossible face mask thing!

Gemnist wrote:
Uh, am I reading that Ep 2 score correctly? 0.8?

Obviously, there were a low number of peeps that voted a low score, but it should even out by now with more peeps voting.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Pretty enjoyable series so far. I really like the music (the bass line played during the preview for the next episode is very catchy to my ears) and the animation’s solid. Looking forward to seeing where this series goes from here.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
I definitely chuckled at the joke that they would routinely use secret doors within their secret base which is hidden behind secret doors. As if someone could get through the first set, see the underground facility, and think "I don't see any obvious doors, so there's probably nothing important down here."
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nice to look at and enjoyable enough so far but I don't see it doing things much different than everything that has come before.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm enjoying the series so far overall, but one glaring problem for me is that I just don't like the designs of the characters for when they're in secret agent mode. I can't quite put my finger on WHY though, but it is a bit of a problem in the action scenes.

That combined with a few elements of the setup have prevented me from giving the series full marks, but I'm still enjoying it and plan to follow it this season barring it somehow crapping the bed badly. I do appreciate some of the bits of humor peppered throughout the show. Also some of the just plain weird elements, like the nonchalant reaction the other girls had to Momo's ability to tell people's status by licking them and also track them by smell. "Oh, nifty abilities, maybe we should recruit you" as opposed to "how is this even humanly possible you aren't even eating our miracle drugs yet!"
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this series of "Spyce versus spy" or more accurately Spyce are ninjas or rather kunoichis and judging by their "classic" uniforms... let's just say the group's way of fighting has changed a bit over the years.

And it seems clear to me that they're setting up Momo as the way to sniff out the Counter Spy in that anyone who she hasn't licked yet is a probable suspect...

Wait, we all know who it is anyway, right? Yuki?
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the counterspy is the spoiler[manager of the restaurant]. I don't even think the show is trying to hide it, since spoiler[the driver of the Bad Guy Car seems to have her hair and her voice].
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I'm pretty sure the counterspy is the spoiler[manager of the restaurant]. I don't even think the show is trying to hide it, since spoiler[the driver of the Bad Guy Car seems to have her hair and her voice].

But if she was the counterspy why lie to the organization about someone defecting when you've done it already? If that were the case she would have been saying "I" got the info instead of someone sending it to them.

spoiler[My money is either on Yuki or Momo herself. Fu is also a candidate because of her jealousy towards Momo but that would be too obvious.]
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

But if she was the counterspy why lie to the organization about someone defecting when you've done it already? If that were the case she would have been saying "I" got the info instead of someone sending it to them.

spoiler[My money is either on Yuki or Momo herself. Fu is also a candidate because of her jealousy towards Momo but that would be too obvious.]

Momo is the equivalent of a bloodhound, her deceased father was a former cop and she herself has a dogged sense of justice. I wouldn't be surprised if she develops a taste for crime. I mean she finds out she can literally taste a crime happening somewhere. Or smell or maybe just basically "sense" one... a Momo sense.

As an aside, was I the only one expecting something "odd" to happen after Momo had her first taste of Spyce? "If her senses are already heightened and the Spyce pushes them further then... would she be able to close her eyes and taste the color yellow?" I feel its a good premise if the second episode can make me reach that question.

I also considered Fu as a possible suspect in the first episode until Momo licked her. What was it, 2/3 anger and 1/3 jealousy? It matched her personality perfectly, she's far too open. It's needs to be someone who can both be closed and yet open, an actor of highest quality, someone who has a grudge... perhaps a physical scar from a past misadventure..

Honestly, I was just going by the people Momo hasn't tasted. It's kind of weird... but yet awesome... how that became a thing; It's what got my attention in the first episode. Not a kiss, not a lick but just an actual taste.... in a series literally about spices and figuratively about spies.

That reminds me... yes my mind is often like a train on many tracks, never sure where it's going to end up sometimes... of the Kingsman movies in how they're spy films but I never considered them to be true spy films because they don't really work for anyone except for the cause of "good". I guess that's why I used spy in quote and counter spy in caps... they're the common terms but I don't think they fully apply here as their organization has no authority. I did use Ninjas and these days, Ninjas are just another form of Superheroes...

I also used the word kunoichi and I do think their organization started as a group killers/prostitutes. Their job and what they could physically do probably changed after they... Released the Spyce.

The more I think about this series, the more I like it.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
It wouldn't be that weird for the leader of the an organization of evil spies to lie about it and invent a nonexistent person to blame instead of coming out and saying "yes, I'm a double agent."
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:18 am Reply with quote
This is cute so far. But no, child, "spy" is not derived from "spice." Laughing I wonder how many Japanese viewers will come away thinking that's true.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is cute so far. But no, child, "spy" is not derived from "spice." Laughing I wonder how many Japanese viewers will come away thinking that's true.

Spy is derived from Spyce though... it's a narrative Catch-22. Sure, you can throw around words like "espionage" all day long but this is a world of its own universe and here, it's spyce for spies, uh, spys.

Episode 3. "Gritty and mundane"? The chef hung Momo out to dry because he was going to carve her up and serve as part of his dinner buffet.... and now I'm reminded of Kingman: Golden Circle which had casual cannibalism of its own. So much like that movie, I'd describe Release the Spyce as "cartoony and outlandish".

Ok, I'll come out and say it: This is what Cutie Honey Universe wanted to be but couldn't nail any tones down. Release the Spyce is funny when it wants to be and violent when it needs to be. Right now it's not that serious because there's so much back up, no one is in danger. But...

The genre, the tropes, the ending itself would indicate at some point the six member team become a five member band. Wow, look at that particular ending image of all six, Yuki supporting Momo back to back while the other four gather around Momo...

Yuki's literally turning her back on the rest of the group but that's probably just a coincidence.
Toonces

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This is a nice fluffy and fun show to watch so far. It's been nice to watch the girls and their relationships grow and develop. It's definitely stuck more to the light side of things, although the post and pre credits scenes in episode 1 & 3 respectively are both pretty dark. Either way, I think they've managed to make the show a entertaining watch so far.

Looking ahead, given that the muscle bound woman was experimented on to the point that she appears to be a monster, I definitely think next week will ramp things up a bit.

Yttrbio wrote:

Given they won't even show that woman's face, it's clear she's someone we either know or will meet soon. I was thinking more along the same lines as you, and that would also bring the spoiler[memory wipe retirement thing more clearly to the forefront in the end. The fact that the Spyce loses potency as you get older could also tie into the pharmaceutical corporation trying to make their own drugs.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6