• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 8 Anime Films Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:40 am Reply with quote
Night is Short, Walk On Girl is the only one here that has a chance and it will still most likely lose to something like Isle of Dogs.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Night is Short, Walk On Girl is the only one here that has a chance and it will still most likely lose to something like Isle of Dogs.

Not trying to be confrontational, but you think Isle of Dogs is bad?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
Night is Short, Walk on Girl ISN'T that good, either.

I know I had a disagreement with someone about this already.

They could just not accept that I don't think a film about people drinking all night and having hallucinations is particularly fun to sit through!
If you want to watch the Japanese version of The Hangover, GOOD FOR YOU(!), but the rest of us are looking for something either more human or escapist.
I've never cared for extended experimental animation sequences and that film was just--! It's one of the few films I can remember watching the clock on my phone to see when it was going to end.

I've seen at least half the anime features on that list and none of them are frankly Oscar-worthy. Most FILMS in any given year aren't that good and it's been a long time since I've seen any American or Japanese animated film that was that groundbreaking and really Oscar-worthy, too, and yes, that includes Pixar's films, too! The entertainment industry worldwide is in a bit of rut whether we're talking videogames or motion pictures. There's a bit too much recycling and navel-gazing backwards at nostalgia right now.

If they have to give an Oscar to an animated film that ISN'T a Pixar film, it'll be Isle of Dogs because it fits whatever stupid idea of agendas that the Academy/Oscars has.
Wes Anderson (The Royal Tanenbaums), the film's director, is considered an auteur and they'll probably grant him that award just to give lip service to the idea of "independent filmmakers" and "independent visions" whatever the hell that means. Unless he raised that money independently or got his budget from rich uncle, he made that money through a multinational corporation like 99% of the other filmmakers out there so so much for independent!

The Oscars are irrelevant to anyone but the people in the film industry who want their achievement awards and acknowledgment that their jealous peers "like them!" so why some anime fans are hung up on the best animated feature award is beyond me. Getting nominated has NOT made anime mainstream, and frankly most of us got into anime BECAUSE we were bored of where mainstream/Hollywood entertainment and Western animation was going!

The Oscars are a boring popularity contest for filmmakers and actors among their peers. Frankly, most studios don't care about the Oscars that much because most of the films that do get nominated for the major awards don't get seen by many people! The films that generally do get seen by the greater filmgoing public are the ones that win the technical (special effects, makeup) awards.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
The only one that has a real chance of being nominated, considering what it's up against from a domestic standpoint, is Mirai, and that's pretty much entirely due to Mamoru Hosoda's greater name brand recognition in the West; while Yuasa has some clout among animation industry insiders, he's too little-known outside of that to snag enough mentions for a nomination.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
Considering Your Name. couldn't even make it last year, I'm not optimistic that any anime's going to get nominated. In a better world, at least Lu Over the Wall or Mirai would get the nomination.

Isle of Dogs and Incredibles 2 have already definitely secured two spots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kotomikun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:24 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Most FILMS in any given year aren't that good and it's been a long time since I've seen any American or Japanese animated film that was that groundbreaking and really Oscar-worthy, too, and yes, that includes Pixar's films, too! [...] The Oscars are a boring popularity contest for filmmakers and actors among their peers.

So, movies these days suck and aren't Oscar-worthy, but also the Oscars are just a dull popularity contest. Hmm. I don't know if that's a contradiction or just a second tier of dismissal of the entire (animated) film industry.

Anyway, as I've said before, awards shows are kind of a silly concept in general and shouldn't be taken too seriously. There's no realistic way to fairly judge all of humanity's film output over an entire year against itself and figure out what was subjectively "best" out of all that. What really makes one work of art "better" than a completely different one if both are reasonably successful? As a famous film person once said, there are two kinds of movies: good and bad. Everything else is just semantics and politics.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Zeino wrote:

Not trying to be confrontational, but you think Isle of Dogs is bad?

I thought Isle of Dogs was well shot and designed.

But I also thought it was tremendously average in every other way.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote
This category is straight up the “Kid’s Oscar”. We’ve even seen Academy voters admit that they let their kids or grandkids vote it on their behalf. Particularly now that Best Picture can have more than five nominees, they should just abolish this dumb category.
Animegunclub

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Getting nominated has NOT made anime mainstream, and frankly most of us got into anime BECAUSE we were bored of where mainstream/Hollywood entertainment and Western animation was going!

The Oscars are a boring popularity contest for filmmakers and actors among their peers. Frankly, most studios don't care about the Oscars that much because most of the films that do get nominated for the major awards don't get seen by many people! The films that generally do get seen by the greater filmgoing public are the ones that win the technical (special effects, makeup) awards.

This is patently false. Spirited Away winning an award propelled the popularity of Studio Ghibli movies into the mainstream and having their own nearly-annual festival of theater screenings. The fact that distributors are actually spending the scratch to qualify movies in the US for oscars as frequently as they are now a days kinda goes to show that anime is a lot less niche than you think it is. It's not MCU big bucks, but it is still a draw that actually shows up at megaplexes and not just arthouse cinemas.

Not only that, getting nominated for academy awards can mean a healthy and significant boost in sales for a movie that normally would not take home a good chunk of change. For example, feel free to take a look at Spirited Away's Box Office for 2003. There was a significant bump in money taken in on the Feb 14–20 week after the nominations were announced, and then an enormous bump in money after it won during the Mar 28–Apr 3 week. https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=spiritedaway.htm
Fullmetal Archivist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
I think Fireworks has the better shot at getting nominated. Some of the people who worked on that worked on Your Name and there was an outcry that it didn’t get nominated. I think it would get a pity nomination rather than getting voted on due to merit (note I am not saying it does or does not deserve the nomination but I think that might be the rationale if it got nominated). I really want Night is Short, Walk on Girl to get at least a nomination as the story was fun and the animation looked like it was inspired by cartoons from around the 1930s (Otome reminds me a lot of Olive Oil). I haven’t seen the rest so I can’t really comment on them but I heard Maquia was amazing and a real tear jerker so I kinda hope it gets nominated too.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:42 am Reply with quote
Until they split the category into foreign and domestic (and even then), it will continue to be the "Pixar Commemoration of Excellence" . It's hard caring or getting worked up over the award, anymore. I just view it with an asterisk, now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Would there be any merit to accommodating anime titles within the Best Foreign Language category instead? The contrast between such films and other films in the group would be more pronounced, but at least the playing field might be less uneven.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm Reply with quote
frankly most of us got into anime BECAUSE we were bored of where mainstream/Hollywood entertainment and Western animation was going!

Good One! But I actually got into anime cause I was straight up done with hip-hop and needed a brand new gateway in life to entertain me, plus I was going through major depression so there's also that.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately it isn't the strongest year for anime at the Oscars compared to the previous years with Your Name, A Silent Voice, In This Corner of the World, When Marnie Was There, The Wind Rises, Wolf Children, etc, I'm not saying that these can't theoretically win the Oscar but you have to hit extremely HIGH as anime to even get a nomination, anime doesn't even get a pity spot (see Boss Baby circa 2017).

Edit: My odds on an anime film getting a nomination is Mirai, but if Spider-Verse becomes a huge hit nothing is coming close, much like Red Dead Redemption 2, Spiderman and God of War are going to be nominees for GOTY but if RDR2 is what we think it is, they might as well be blank spaces to the judges and public.
Mistaken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
none of them ever win lmao
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2