• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 8 Ghost Bustin' Anime to Keep Spooks Away [2018-10-27]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:16 am Reply with quote
Ghost Sweeper Mikami is the one I'm thinking of checking out, besides having a cool concept with interesting action and hilarious comedy, I like the art/animation style (when Toei Animation actually gave a crap about what they were doing), and with Hiromi Tsuru and Ryo Horikawa voicing the leads, that alone makes it sound like a winner.

The video game for the Super Famicom/SNES is fun from what I've played of it too.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Poll winner wasn't surprising at all; in fact, I would have been surprised if anyone else had come out on top, given that the series just finished airing. Was pleased to see that Nanana hadn't been forgotten about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching Sentai's Ghost Sweeper Mikami DVDs this month and yeah, it's pretty good - the animation holds up and is typically quite stylish, and there's a fun variety of ideas and recurring characters to go with its generally fast pacing. The best episodes usually involve Dr. Chaos, the immortal alchemist (memorably voiced by Shigeru Chiba). Fortunately the more dated jokes few and far between.

To this day I wonder what the deal is with Phantom Quest Corps, which is like a not nearly as memorable version.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Could the article be updated for this year? Natsume S6 says "slated for this year" (2018) when it was out in spring 2017 (CR has it).

Also, classmates isn't accurate for Ghost Hunt: "Mai is a teenage clairvoyant who, along with her other psychic and spiritualist classmates". In Ep1 Mai and 2 classmates were telling ghost stories. Mai gets hired by Naru to work for him at SPR (Shibuya Psychic Research). Naru only pretended to be a student at her school (first case). No one else at SPR is a classmate of Mai's.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
ryonomiko wrote:
No one else at SPR is a classmate of Mai's.

A few are adults and have actual jobs too.

I'll also speak up for Kaidan Restaurant, Ghost Stories, and Ghost Talker's Daydream for people needing more ghost hunting suggestions.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Ryoko's Case Files is a great series, such a shame it never came Stateside. It's like X-Files if Mulder was loaded and unscrupulous.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
7 is best ghost girl, 7 was robbed
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Seeing the poll winner put a smile on my face. Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Ghost Sweeper Mikami is the one I'm thinking of checking out, besides having a cool concept with interesting action and hilarious comedy, I like the art/animation style (when Toei Animation actually gave a crap about what they were doing), and with Hiromi Tsuru and Ryo Horikawa voicing the leads, that alone makes it sound like a winner.

It's a fun bit of screwball, like watching Lina Inverse's modern-day descendant who's switched from bandit-hunting to ghost-busting. The animation is 90's, to put it politely, but fun.
In response to the poll, Okinu is probably the ghost you'd most want haunting your house, too. Anime smile

As for Otama, the hotel-haunting ghost from Urusei Yatsura, she can be sexy and melancholy, but more of a problem for long-term haunting:
She accompanies the gang out for a beach day, but turns out to be high-maintenance, deliberately playing up the tearful-unfinished-business routine for all she can get: "I want a snowcone, I want a snowcone!... Anime cry "
And returns to the beach hotel, where the managers treat her like parents of a college-slacker: "Still bumming off the tourists? Haven't you moved out yet??"
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
What about Bleach for ghost busting anime? Between Shinigami, Hollows, Quincies, (and Bounts?), it really sucks to be a ghost.
ChimeyChime

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:15 am Reply with quote
this got me excited for another season of natsume.... then I realized season 6 is already out. FeelsBadMan
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Yohko, Ryoko, Reiko, Ginko... Does having ko in your name strengthen your ghost busting abilities
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
I went back and started watching Phantom Quest Corps again because of this, and I do think I appreciate it more now. It does have some very nice animation (hey, I recognized the Koichi Arai bit in episode 2! I'm good at the sakuga thing, everybody!!). There's a great opening sequence involving the main character Ayaka drunkenly singing enka karaoke out of a taxi - in fact the whole soundtrack has some nice stuff in enka stylings. The plotting isn't out of this world or anything, so I kinda get why I forgot what happened in it, buuut it ain't bad. So thank you for this column bringing me back to it.

I am continually baffled by all the Mikami similarities, though - she even operates out of a similar looking house with a sign and has exploding spirit earrings! What was the deal with this??
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Seeing the poll winner put a smile on my face. Smile

The poll winner is also 1 of the sexiest anime/manga ghost girls I have seen.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:55 am Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
7 is best ghost girl, 7 was robbed
Just shows you that people don't mind ghosts around if they are the right type...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2