• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Woman Receives 10-Year Prison Sentence in China For Writing Boys-Love Novels

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I still remember the times when it was considered normal to “joke” about violence against yaoi fangirls, but now it looks like some kind of madness. Even in Russia, no one will be jailed for creating qeer media or qeer content.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
#1 economy within a decade or two btw.
frubam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Sesame Credit working at its fullest, huh?
Dian Z

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how Chinese people in general view the LGBTQ representation. I mean, I know some countries that ban LGBTQ representation due to shared belief/faith of the majority that does not tolerate LGBTQ acts, I wonder if it's the same case in China, or if it's motivated by something else like tradition (I honestly know nothing about the majority of Chinese people's religion or what their faith says about this topic).
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
10 years for writing a couple of words, thats nuts. You'd think she killed someone.
Im glad I dont live in china.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:
I wonder how Chinese people in general view the LGBTQ representation. I mean, I know some countries that ban LGBTQ representation due to shared belief/faith of the majority that does not tolerate LGBTQ acts, I wonder if it's the same case in China, or if it's motivated by something else like tradition (I honestly know nothing about the majority of Chinese people's religion or what their faith says about this topic).

First, I personally hesitant to call BL/Yaoi or Yuri as direct representation of LGBTQ works, since some of them has really unrealistic relationship depictions for the sake of pandering.

Frankly, it is hard to judge Chinese in a whole, because within these 1.4 billion population, there are 56 different ethnicities, and religions can get even more varied, Muslim, Christianity, Catholic, Buddhism, etc, also each city and Provence can be quite different in terms of political and economical views, so any statement that judges them in a whole has a risk on balatant generalism and stereotype.

On LGBTQ issue though if we speak in government stand point, it’s mostly “don’t show it public commercially and do as you like if you just stay quiet”. (Think as an economic version of Don’t ask don’t tell) The main reason she got caught was actually, as the article said, she sold 7K+ copies and the police consider that as a “commercial success” which breaks the so-called obscenity law. The ones with much lower popularity still flows underground and even today as I check Chinese and Japanese social media, there are still many aspiring Chinese artists (mostly female, some even married) post their LGBTQ works and fan arts online (Weibo, pixiv or even Twitter), and some web-exclusive Chinese drama has queer elements as well (although as stated above, you won’t see that on TV channels)

Things as improving for actual LGBTQ people in China, as in big cities (when comes to countryside, it varies in regions) they are no longer viewed as abnormal and sometimes even have their own small parade, but obviously not in the same level of Western world, it takes time to change a culture that has 5000 years of direct history, and the current young Chinese generation are doing their best for at least a partial change.

Yeah...it takes time.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Dian Z wrote:

Dunno, would it be enough or you want much more complex analyze of topic, but still here's the video.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="dark_bozu"]
Dian Z wrote:

Dunno, would it be enough or you want much more complex analyze of topic, but still here's the video.

Again, that video is filmed in Shanghai, and the sample size and other statistical errors considered, I am not sure we call that a fair or statistical accurate representation of entire Chinese population on this sensitive topic that deserves more attentions ( Heck, Looking at the film time and other factors, probably not even a representation of Shanghai city, let alone an entire population)
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Frankly, it is hard to judge Chinese in a whole, because within these 1.4 billion population, there are 56 different ethnicities, and religions can get even more varied, Muslim, Christianity, Catholic, Buddhism, etc, also each city and Provence can be quite different in terms of political and economical views, so any statement that judges them in a whole has a risk on balatant generalism and stereotype.

Sure, though that can be overstated because the vast majority of people are Han, and more importantly the government hates all religion, from Islam to Catholicism to Protestantism to Taoism. This is what official Communist atheism looks like in practice, not the result of particular religious belief. Of course all countries throughout history have had terrible beliefs, but Communism and Communist parties have been among the worst at turning those beliefs into oppression, incarceration, and internment camps. The logic of denying the existence of a private sphere and deciding everything by politics is great when your ideas are in charge and terrible dissenters can be forced to get in line, but when the shoe is on the other foot one realizes the benefits of a private sphere and diversity.

Thankfully the PRC is quite corrupt in a lot of ways, because the only thing worse than corrupt Communists are incorruptible Communists. They have loosened their grip in some ways, but the Chinese Communist Party remains one of the greatest sources of evil in the world.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect free speech from a communist country but China does seem to be increasing their enforcement of laws regarding entertainment. That they literally tracked down everyone involved in the publishing of a novel that only sold 7,000 copies to give them 10 year sentences does indicate that they are serious about this issue.

Dian Z wrote:
Communist governments are atheist and that includes China. Communist governments don't care about human rights, individualism, or free speech. Also communist governments are ruthless and will crush anything that they think is bad for their country.
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow.
I think boycotts need to happen, more sooner than later.
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
I still remember the times when it was considered normal to “joke” about violence against yaoi fangirls, but now it looks like some kind of madness. Even in Russia, no one will be jailed for creating qeer media or qeer content.

No they'd just skip to making them "disappear"
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
This is terribly sad.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:13 pm Reply with quote
This is totally effin' outrageous. The author hasn't committed any atrocious crime that violates morality, that brings harm to other people. This is seriously bonkers given she was just writing for a living. I hope they win their appeal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I must say I'm glad to see Chinese and japanese fans uniting over this. Those countries have hated each other for longer then otaku culture has even existed so it's cool to see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4