• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mamoru Hosoda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
So London is a city that has high standards in what art is. And to think that there was an exhibit showing my work…is an honor.

The recent Hosoda exhibition was relatively small, but for a West End gallery and gift shop to be dedicated to a single anime director is unprecedented to my knowledge. It was quite the rallying point for local fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
klokei07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We always barely make it. No matter what the circumstance, it's always tight… “(laugh)” Or rather, “(sob)”

[Translator's note: He really did say, “parentheses laugh” “parentheses cry”]

Quote:
Although…then, what if we don't make the deadlines? That wouldn't be good Anime smile;

[Translator's note: He really did ask me to include a kaomoji]

A lot of people have issues with Hosoda as a director, but he really seems like a chill dude. These answers made my day.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 am Reply with quote
^ Really? I am only just beginning to get familiar with Mamoru Hosoda and he is quickly becoming one my my favorite directors given he has taken inspiration from Hayao Miyazaki (my favorite director) and from reading this interview he seems to have a good sense of humor. What are the issues people have with this director?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote:
I think animators are actors. So I think of myself as casting animators to do the jobs that fit them. So it's not like I always have the same people doing the same job, but instead I adjust to the content of the film. For this film, the animation supervision is done by Hiroyuki Aoyama and Ayako Hata. They have different last names, but they are actually married. And because they are married, they were able to depict what they did in Mirai.

I wonder if that play into how well Kun parents were portrayed. I thought one of the best highlights of the film was how close it portrayed a realistic relationship with a married couple.

Quote:
Your films are often referred to as “family films.” Do you worry at all about being typecast as a filmmaker? What kind of themes would you say you're most interesting in exploring?

For me, I am most interested in depicting the change of children. The change and growth of children. The children is the focus. But when you portray children, consequentially you depict the people around them, which is their family. Perhaps that is why people think of my films as “family films.”

Funny this was ask because as I was thinking about the movie after finish watching it I realize that Mirai was indeed a family film, but not in the sense that other movies are label as family films. Mirai was a "legitimate" family film as the movie was focus on family. When I think about it the only other movies I can think of that deserve to be called family films are the two Incredible movies directed by Brat Bird and maybe the Despicable Me movies from Illumination Entertainment.

Quote:
So the next film will probably use more, and maybe eventually my films will be full CG someday.

I don't know how I feel about this. . .It is his movies at the end of the day (and from watching Mirai I would say his animation staff has done a wonderful job with it), but I feel like I want to see his movies in mainly 2D.

Quote:
This film, Mirai, has a 4 year-old as the protagonist, and that was a challenge, and I know that therefore Mirai will open up the Mirai (future).

I can imagine it must had been a challenge to have a 4-year-old as the protagonist. In fact it's not often one sees a story with a protagonist so young, but I believe it was pulled off well.

I love what he had to say about the animation medium as a whole and I look forward to seeing more of his works. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1