• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime NYC 2018 News Roundup

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I was really shocked by the Pikachu costume looking strange, but man Anime NYC 2018 sure had a huge blasts whitin it.

Even for J-Pop stairs acted on it, i wish if there we're more J-pop acts that didn't peformed on anime theme songs like J-Soul Brothers, Imagine if J-Soul Brothers had their song anime perofmed as ending/opening theme, they could have attend there.
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This was my first New York con, and as a native New Yorker, I couldn't have been happier. I've always avoided NYCC because of the horror stories of how packed and how little attention anime and manga get, so this was a treat for me. The sheer number of sponsors I felt probably had a good effect on the programming and variety in the exhibit hall. My only regret was not being able to attend either of the Anisong World Matsuri concerts, I loved it last year at Otakon and this year's lineup looked incredible...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
Super happy to hear such a glowing report! The second year of any event is the telltale and hearing about the abominable NYCC "anime" event last month it is gratifying that "CR Powered" AnimeNYC was a HIT, proving the events staffers really know their stuff and fans...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But one of the most remarkable things about the series remains its animation, which utilizes an entire toolkit of styles and inspirations to create a show that looks like none other -- from black and white charcoal drawings to high tech digital effects to video game imagery and rudimentary retro simplicity –
Any more Paint on-Glass animation?
doomrider7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Missed it due to out of town. Legit bummed and curious about the Reincarnated into a Slime panel since it's my favorite ongoing series and was curious about what got brought up on the panel.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:13 am Reply with quote
Depending on whether that 36,000 attendance figure is turnstile or warm bodies, Anime NYC could already be the second biggest con in North America. Anime Expo is always first by an enormous margin (110,000 in 2018), and after that you have a cluster of cons that pull in the low 30,000s: Anime North, Anime Central, Anime Matsuri, Anime Weekend Atlanta, and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing reads like a paid advertisement by Anime NYC. Now don't get me wrong, I had a fun time but it would be remiss to do a convention report on the event and not mention anything about the line/crowd fiasco from Friday, the crappy autograph ticket situation, or the fact that there were only four panel rooms and thus there weren't "plenty of alternatives" as the article would suggest. The con was great overall, but there is plenty that they still need to fix.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Shoko Nakagawa will forever be at my heart since she did an Pokemon voice acting in the movies as well as hosting her variety show dedicated to Pokemon. I hope she enjoys her taste of entertainment.

I hope J-Pop will still have some global popularity around.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It was my first time at the con. It wasn't perfect, but they were open about their failings and ultimately responsive to concerns. That's all you can ask for.

The AWM concerts were tons of fun, but the schedule was so thin that I was just spending a few hours at the Javits then going to the Hammerstein Ballroom, then going back to my Airbnb. There wasn't much in the way of fan programming or video rooms, or even a real game room, just a few machines in the back of the dealers room.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1