• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Sony's Not-So-Pleasant Surprises

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Sony skipping the E3 event in 2019 is possibliy due to facts that Sony's censorship policy on sexy video games have damaged its Sony's reputation, this is prehaps one of the main reason why they decided to skip it to avoid getting an huge protests from the ecchi fans.

Sony's Playstation classic on emulation may be an bit of overhauled, but its still definetly needs an improvement, the bitrate also needs an better changes.

Smash Ultimate story's getting spoiled can a be a bit of an suprised and not upsetting fans of it. The plot of the game shall be unleashed by an US or European Nintendo and exposing it with the main Nintendo knowing it.

The rest of the others are not belong to me.

(sorry for my poor English)
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
i'll see where the E3 situation goes. Knowing Sony, I expect them to start doing ripoffs of Nintendo Directs and pretend they're new and revolutionary.

As for the PS Classic, it leaves a LOT to be desired. Even putting aside the lineup (which is baffling and other versions have more fascinating choices, like the Japanese having Parasite Eve) the release is just half-baked. The emulator, as said, is literally freeware, the interface is kinda ugly, and there just aren't a lot of features. This is a cynical, half-baked imitation of what Nintendo did with the NES and SNES Classic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Heidi pointed out what I've been saying about E3 for years. It doesn't seem to have much of a purpose these days. There are lots of gaming websites out there with almost constant news cycles. Companies can get major coverage simply by getting in touch with one or several of them whenever they want. Attending E3 means spending a lot of money to try to grab attention as one of the many participants. Many opt to do things like release trailers during the week before to avoid being buried under all the other announcements.

The PS Classic was something that had me interested at the start, and then lost me quickly when everything revealed made it more apparent that it was a minimal effort to do what Nintendo managed. The library is small (to , you can't add to it, it doesn't play CDs, and they decided to go with the cheaper original controllers and not the Dualshock 1 despite it being a better controller. Heck, Metal Gear Solid has more than one scene that specifically makes use of the rumble function, but I guess if they think the PAL version for games is good enough, I shouldn't be surprised that they cheaped out on the hardware. If they bother to try a PS2 Classic, then I hope the lesson they learn is that nostalgia doesn't blind people to a lack of effort.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Sucks to hear the PlayStation Classic was done so lazily and sloppily. Smooth going there, Sony. It's like the company seems to enjoy annoying their consumers lately. Can't say I'm susprised with their planned absence from E3; they're trying to avoid the pitchforks and torches.

My only concern is getting a Switch. I need Smash Ultimate in my life.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I plan on buying the PS1 Classic, but will not open it until it gets hacked. Once I can pop my own games (i.e. change the PAL games to NTSC roms) then it's good to go.
Otherwise, I'll return it in January.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I played the US release of Root Letter. While I can't say I'm a VN connoisseur per se, I've played enough JRPGs and watched enough anime to know what I was getting myself into.

I found it enjoyable, especially in the later bits once you had gotten used to the system and some of the characters. I still haven't gotten the canonical ending I don't think, so it'll be interesting to see how they tackle some of that.

Speaking as an outsider, I really did get an amazing sense of "place" within the game. Much like KyoAni works or "your name.", there was a great expression of character and history in the setting, which I hope they can bring across.

Sony's PS Classic is an utter disappointment, exacerbated by the recent cancelling of further PS Vita production. If you were one of the ones who picked up a PlayStation (Vita) TV, you already have a much better unit than this is. It's the guts of a Vita in a deck-of-cards tiny unit you can plug into your TV and play *tons* of downloadable, official PSOne Classics, much of the PSP library, a few PS2 releases, and almost the entire Vita library.

I'm honestly a bit shocked that they didn't just give the PS Vita a new coat of paint (it's small enough to fit entirely *within* the PS Classic's case!), add a second USB port, bundle some retro-looking PS3 controllers, add PSN download codes for the 10-15 top games, and call it a day. 90% of the engineering work would be done and it would help revitalize the Vita a bit while adding to the overall ROI for their tech.

It's a mind-boggling misstep, and I say that as a devoted Sony fanboy and former SOE employee.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Welcome back Heidi! Hopefully you had a nice break and picked up some good games on sale.

While I totally agree on E3's lack of importance over the past few years, I am still absolutely furious at Sony for cancelling their appearance. Reason being I go to PSX every year, and this year they cancelled that too. So you have last year's PSX, which was a bust. This years E3, which was a bust, a cancelled PSX this year AND a cancelled E3 next year. That's almost 2 years worth of worthless conferences/information for sony fans. Then you have the horribly handled censorship debacle thats going on, the cancelled and banned games, the not allowing cross play while every other platform is, and you expect people to give a damn about PS5?

I have bought almost every Sony console at launch because I usually have faith that they want to make good games for gamers, but they have lost that faith. I will not be buying a PS5 until they earn my respect back and they quite honestly don't look like they care at all about the backlash they've gotten about all the recent issues. It still baffles me that you have a multi-billion dollar game in Fortnite and Sony is still trying to play hardball. Oh We'll. At least Japanese developers are embracing Switch and Steam.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:16 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Welcome back Heidi! Hopefully you had a nice break and picked up some good games on sale.

While I totally agree on E3's lack of importance over the past few years, I am still absolutely furious at Sony for cancelling their appearance. Reason being I go to PSX every year, and this year they cancelled that too. So you have last year's PSX, which was a bust. This years E3, which was a bust, a cancelled PSX this year AND a cancelled E3 next year. That's almost 2 years worth of worthless conferences/information for sony fans. Then you have the horribly handled censorship debacle thats going on, the cancelled and banned games, the not allowing cross play while every other platform is, and you expect people to give a damn about PS5?

I have bought almost every Sony console at launch because I usually have faith that they want to make good games for gamers, but they have lost that faith. I will not be buying a PS5 until they earn my respect back and they quite honestly don't look like they care at all about the backlash they've gotten about all the recent issues. It still baffles me that you have a multi-billion dollar game in Fortnite and Sony is still trying to play hardball. Oh We'll. At least Japanese developers are embracing Switch and Steam.

Sony's behavior right now is reminding me of that insufferable arrogance they had gained during the PS1 and PS2 years that led to the PS3. And all the problems that came with it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:06 am Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Sony skipping the E3 event in 2019 is possibliy due to facts that Sony's censorship policy on sexy video games have damaged its Sony's reputation, this is prehaps one of the main reason why they decided to skip it to avoid getting an huge protests from the ecchi fans.

I hate to say this but you're like the 5th person I've seen make this statement and also the 5th person who is wrong on this. Ecchi games in the U.S. are not major sellers on any platform they sell in the country so knowing this why would Sony pull out of Expo that's been based in the U.S. since it's inception over their policy on Ecchi games?

TasteyCookie wrote:
It still baffles me that you have a multi-billion dollar game in Fortnite and Sony is still trying to play hardball. Oh We'll. At least Japanese developers are embracing Switch and Steam.

Not for nothing but Fornite isn't even that good I mean while Sony dragging their feet on cross platform play for the game was bizarre let's not let that distract from the fact that the game is gltichy as hell and Battle Royale the crown jewel of the game itself is shallow when you have other games in the same genre that's offered/offering other competitive gameplay modes.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Do people only go to conventions just to hear announcements. I don't. It sounds like that statement could be true about anime conventions also. If conventions are only about announcements, why would we go to any of them now.

One of my reasons to go to conventions is the spectacle of it all. It is an essential entertainment perk. Industry booths are a big part of that. A dealers room is also important too.

If gaming and anime conventions lose that industry 'oomph", these conventions also lose a reason to attend them. I went to Anime Japan in Tokyo, they have it nailed down. The industry booths were fantastic. Took soooo many pictures.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh... Oh, my. I have never before purchased a Super Robot Wars. I now might have to. Rayearth is actually rather mech heavy in its second arc, and Eagle Vision's presence in the trailer made me far too excited to play this game. Plus, GaoGaiGar and G Gundam with the Arcadia as a cherry on top.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Do people only go to conventions just to hear announcements. I don't. It sounds like that statement could be true about anime conventions also. If conventions are only about announcements, why would we go to any of them now.

One of my reasons to go to conventions is the spectacle of it all. It is an essential entertainment perk. Industry booths are a big part of that. A dealers room is also important too.

If gaming and anime conventions lose that industry 'oomph", these conventions also lose a reason to attend them. I went to Anime Japan in Tokyo, they have it nailed down. The industry booths were fantastic. Took soooo many pictures.

The problem is that E3 isn't a convention, it's a trade show. Or at least it's supposed to be. That's another thing with E3 is that it's had a serious identity crisis for years. It's struggled to figure out if it wants to be a serious trade show, or be a fan convention. The waffling on that had led to a lot of problems
Zof

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:18 am Reply with quote
For you folks that really enjoy arcade gaming, or miss the nostalgia of it, I suggest googling:

FightCade

Stupidly fun 1v1 online arcade gaming bliss. Just get a cheap good joystick like one of the Mayflash ones. You'll eventually want to make your own fightstick though.

BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
Just get a cheap good joystick like one of the Mayflash ones. You'll eventually want to make your own fightstick though.

Chances are you might even have a stick from an older console like the Saturn or Dreamcast, in which case, Mayflash makes a wide range of cheap adapters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1