• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai Worth Watching?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet, but perhaps I'll give the series a chance. Who knows? I might like it.

That said, I've never been a fan of dialogue complaints. Not only due to the inevitable gaps created as a direct result of translation choices, but because this particular criticism seems to be only applied in extremely inconsistent ways.

Strictly speaking, the number of anime with entirely natural conversations would be very small, even in technically "well-written" shows (if anything, a few of those may even go in the other direction, with conversations that sound way more polished than most real life speech).

Last edited by jroa on Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I really don't get it, I love this characters
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
One of the best shows of the season.

Also Sakuta and Mai chemistry is great. They look so good together.

Unlike the staff opinion, for me the way Sakuta not be the usual "good guy that only say good nature things at the perfect time" is what makes him a good character. I'm a bit tired of the perfect rom-com character so Sakuta is like a breath of fresh air.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:35 pm Reply with quote
This is the best series from fall season and an easy top5 of the year. Truly dunno what that dude is talking all the characters are perfect the way they are. So anyone even 2nd guessing if they should watch it dont even just simply go and press play 1st episode and enjoy the ride !!!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also strongly disagree with this "review" ... I love Sakuta and Mai. I get that the dialogue is a little too "quippy" to be 100% realistic, but I also love Gilmore Girls, so ...

I love this type of show. I guess I should finally check out Monogatari? I'm thinking about reading the novels. I've tried to start the anime like 3 times, and the flashing text and way too fast talking while reading subtitles with all the overwhelming visuals is just too much. I like the ideas / stories, but there's just something overstimulating about watching it.

I actually compare Bunny Girl Senpai more to a Haruhi feel.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:40 pm Reply with quote
So what I got from this, a show about an insufferable guy who get surround by woman (who no doubt almost all have feeling for him despite him being nothing but a jerk) with bad writing. The show is also not original and mostly comes off as a lamer version of another property and it's only redeeming quality over it is that the main character isn't a pedophile.

Yikes!

I will say, the screenshot where he said "I don''t know if I'd do the same if you were ugly" does raise interesting stuff from an anime point of view. All the girl he help are good looking because the creator knew that the show wouldn't sell if they weren't. You could have interesting discussion on beauty for this (and maybe if the show was really bold it would have one of the girl not be beautiful). But no, talk about what's wrong with society but still exploit it happily.
Venti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Johny, this is one of the top 3 shows of the season for me. I 100% disagree with their points of Sakuta being an unlikeable character, for me he's one of the best protagonists in recent history. Sure, he's a bit of an ass sometimes, but who isn't? He has flaws just like any other human, but his pros far outweigh them. Anyone who would throw away all their devices to protect their little sister from cyber bullying is good in my books.

Also, the romance between Mai and Sakuta is great as well, it progresses in a completely natural way, and you can see both from their actions and words how much they care about each other as the show goes on.

I just really wish This Week In Anime would give more balanced perspectives on shows by making use of the two person format and having two different opinions of the show rather than both more or less saying the same thing. It would make for much more interesting reading if there were some genuine disagreements about what they thought about the show, but that's my opinion.
Marzan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. What 90% of people I talk to like about this show (Sakuta, Mai and their banter( is precisely what the reviewers dislike. Then again it doesn't surprise me. They have some very strict views on how people should behave and when one is outside the norm, the critical axe falls. It's very much in tune with the modern puritanism we're experiencing.
Hobbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I also disagree about Sakuta. I think he is a great and funny character !
What make a big difference between him and a true asshole is the fact that he doesn't enjoy saying mean things. He just speak his mind. And frankly, I think he speak aloud what a lot of people think in secret !
Aside from the fact that there's often a retribution for his acts. Like he almost end up crushed every time in his verbal jousts with Mai, or like that time when he shooted he is a virgin at the face of the world ! Anime hyper

Last edited by Hobbie on Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
chitosyuuyuu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the only yikes I got was from reading this article.
I also think that the people who wrote that article missed the point on sakuta.
They like to call it budget monogatari, but I hated monogatari with a passion and loved bunny senpai.
athimmel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Welp ... everyone has an opinion, right?

There haven't been a lot of shows this season that have me waiting for the next episode with anticipation. There has been That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. SAO, and A Certain Magical Index, but Bunny Girl Senpai has been my favorite.
Say what you will about Sakuta's personality, he isn't the over-the-top, blood-gushing-out-of-your-nose-from-touching-a-girl's-hand typical male character. His humor is dry, and his separating of himself from others is fine. But it's his banter with Mai that really does it for me. (Well ... also his back and forth with the others as well, but especially Mai.) The conversations are snarky yet affectionate. And when was the last time when you saw an anime teen couple actually sleep in the same bed out of necessity without freaking out!?!

In any case, while this show isn't as funny as one like Pet Girl of Sakurasou, it's becoming a favorite to watch, even if it's more for the interaction of Sakuta and Mai than the adolescence syndrome.
NecDW4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
How to prove your opinion is trash 101.
imredjimmy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh thank god it's not just me who can't stand the main character. There are moments here and there where I enjoy the leads chemistry but in general I just find him insuferable. It is my biggest gripe with this series.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, considering that Nick and Steve have a bit of a record of grading characters based on their high school resentments and have mentioned that they were the dramatic kids (basically the US version chuuni except with the drama club or terrible poetry), I think part of their reaction is due to the character reminding them of the peers who could take the wind out of their sails with dry quips and scoffs.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Don't put so much stock in the site's opinions, everyone. I've generally found their takes to be pretty awful, especially this one, but to each their own.

Last edited by Morry on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5