• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Senran Kagura Producer: 'We've Stopped Putting in Sexual Content with No Narrative Reason'

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I personally in for this 100%. I remember reading Tsukihime and the writing was really good but the sex scenes were really random so it degraded the quality of the story a bit because of it. If there's some narrative reason I'm more for it
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Lets just wait until the end of Tokyo 2020 Olympics and hope everything goes back to normal.

But with so many international regulations and outside pressure (mostly from the new America PC culture) I'm afraid we will live in a cultural dark age.
I hope Japan can ride it off but living on a global market I'm very worried about what the future will bring.

Probably the domestic market will be save from the bad influence after the Olympic Games but export media ( console games) will surfer allot as is already evident.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wish this was the case for every anime in existence. Random scenes of panty shots and people grabbing someone else's boobs without their consent and having sexual harassment played for laughs is the reason I cannot bring myself to watch shows like Senran Kagura, Haruhi Suzumiya, Nagi no Asukara, Love Live, Girls Bravo, and so on, even if they do have more to offer than just that.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takaki said that across all the Senran Kagura media, the teams have "stopped putting in sexual content with no narrative reason." Whenever something sexual happens in Senran Kagura, there needs to be a narrative explanation for it. Characters should no longer just strip or look up each other's skirts "for some vague reason."

This must be a fairly recent change then, given how the Versus games and all the other spinoffs titles are just that. The original two 3DS titles absolutely nailed the balance between the seriousness as things escalated versus the more sexual content. The fact that they didn't continue with that mix really shows how they weren't taking the way the characters grew and developed through those two titles serious enough.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I kinda wish this was the case for every anime in existence. Random scenes of panty shots and people grabbing someone else's boobs without their consent and having sexual harassment played for laughs is the reason I cannot bring myself to watch shows like Senran Kagura, Haruhi Suzumiya, Nagi no Asukara, Love Live, Girls Bravo, and so on, even if they do have more to offer than just that.

Despite enjoying Seikon no Qwaser (though I really did not like all those yuri aspects), I will to have to agree on this. The whole sexual harassment for laughs does get unnerving at times, even for a harem and fan service fan like me.
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Consent is all I ask for. It can be random. It can be out of nowhere. It can be just for the yuks... as long as everyone involved are fine with it. That's all I ask.

Granted, shows -- or games or whatever -- with nothing BUT fanservice tend to be rather boring to me, but at least I don't mind their existence if the above request is honored.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Consent is all I ask for. It can be random. It can be out of nowhere. It can be just for the yuks... as long as everyone involved are fine with it. That's all I ask.

Granted, shows -- or games or whatever -- with nothing BUT fanservice tend to be rather boring to me, but at least I don't mind their existence if the above request is honored.

Ditto.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:38 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like what he's said has already gone into action, and if that's the case, no one will really see a major difference (if the anime is any indication).

I'm a week behind, but if episode 7 is taking place after these changes have been implemented, then there's no reason for anyone who likes Senran Kagura's fanservice to panic. Transformations and fight scenes still show tons of nudity, and I doubt they'll be taking away hot springs nudity or the like either. I could be wrong on that, but it seems like they're taking out the more outrageous moments and putting that to better use with comedy and story/character development.

I doubt most people are watching/buying Senran Kagura for its groundbreaking story and characters, but I'm all for them pulling it back just enough to we can have our fanservice AND appreciate the series as a whole for good writing and comedy.

Admittedly, it has a long way to go before it can reach that balance (I say, having never played the games, and only watched the anime), but this season has done well in telling a decent story. It just needs some polish here and there.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd personally just get rid of Katsuragi and leave everything else in tact, but that's me.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Seen no difference in the currently airing anime and the new Peach Ball game looks like a lot of sexy fun so I don't think the series is in trouble in that regard. Other than a few minute parts of Estival Versus or PBS they've been as regular as any other game. I do like those parts though so they will be missed.

It is though sad that the stain of the Olympics and incoming 'stop sexy wahmen' visitors from countries who hate sexual content (but fine with blowing someones head off) are causing more and more harm to this type of content. Olympics yet to be good for any country in my lifetime, they just leave lasting damage.

We already have Soyny 'protecting the children' (no really) with their censorship drive on Japanese content (and ONLY Japanese content) since the move to California and the regressive takeover. Well that and the non-existent global standard bs they came out with.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I've only played PBS and Estival Versus, but is there a SK game that doesn't have a lot of narrative in it or something? Did the first fighting title suffer from lack of narrative? If you don't constantly skip the narrative portions of those two aforementioned titles there is actually a tremendous amount of narrative build up to whatever silliness the game eventually portrays. It's actually very rarely spontaneous fan service, at least from what I've experienced from those two titles, and is primarily limited to how you play the gameplay portions (ex: you can actually make PBS very less fan-service-y if you outfit all the characters in full clothes and don't waste time with the finishers). If anything again there's all sorts of dialogue and narrative build up to what ever random next-fan service moment pops up.

Plus I feel there is actually a lot of back story (hur hur) already put into place in the SK universe. Most all of the major characters now have fairly diverse plot lines and narratives, and the games and animated series are now interweaving themselves into one another to try and build some sort of comprehensive narrative among the characters. I'm certain no doubt Yumi's popularity, having not been in the series since it's beginning, helped to spur more background and character development not only for herself but the other SK characters.

I feel like ultimately all of this is kind of a BS excuse of sorts that's basically trying to justify what has already had some attempt at being done.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
It sounds like what he's said has already gone into action, and if that's the case, no one will really see a major difference (if the anime is any indication).

I'm a week behind, but if episode 7 is taking place after these changes have been implemented, then there's no reason for anyone who likes Senran Kagura's fanservice to panic. Transformations and fight scenes still show tons of nudity, and I doubt they'll be taking away hot springs nudity or the like either. I could be wrong on that, but it seems like they're taking out the more outrageous moments and putting that to better use with comedy and story/character development.

I doubt most people are watching/buying Senran Kagura for its groundbreaking story and characters, but I'm all for them pulling it back just enough to we can have our fanservice AND appreciate the series as a whole for good writing and comedy.

Admittedly, it has a long way to go before it can reach that balance (I say, having never played the games, and only watched the anime), but this season has done well in telling a decent story. It just needs some polish here and there.

The anime isn't what worrying at all, that's fine but the games may end up censored to the point that they aren't worth playing anymore and unlike anime, manga, and doujinshi, it may not change after 2020.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
The anime isn't what worrying at all, that's fine but the games may end up censored to the point that they aren't worth playing anymore and unlike anime, manga, and doujinshi, it may not change after 2020.

After 2020 maybe there will be full game version for the domestic PC market and cut/censored versions for overseas market like what happen with the visual novel market were PC versions are uncensored and console market don't have sexual content.

They will be pressured by the Japanese market for more sexual content so that's the only way to keep the 2 markets happy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I highly doubt anyone who watches Senran Kagura cares what narrative purpose any of the fanservice services, but if they do they are in luck.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

But with so many international regulations and outside pressure (mostly from the new America PC culture) I'm afraid we will live in a cultural dark age.

Uh...You might wanna go back to the pre-90s America if think this is the dark age. Showing anything remotely homosexual was basically banned and considered to be worse than murder (still is in some states). A lot of anime was censored because of this. Cowboy Bebop for example had a scenes edited/removed because they showed a male with breasts.

As a whole, things are still far less censored than ever in history, at least in the United States.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4