• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Switches to Free Simultaneous Publication

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Will the back catalog include older series Viz published like Patlabor, even if they went unfinished? I'd like to show readership for those so there's a chance they continue.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
If you live in a place where this is available, are able to make purchasing decisions for yourself, and are not living in poverty (i.e. have money to have any kind of entertainment budget whatsoever), congrats: your excuse for reading scans of the titles in US Jump is officially dead, and if you do, you honestly just don't care about the people who make manga. My god, it's $2 a month; a bag of chips from the vending machine. $25 a year I can see someone making a half-hearted justification against, but this is "search your couch cushions or just ask a random person on the street for some change" levels of cheap.

in before "But [miniscule edge case that applies to almost no one but that I use to justify that piracy should be okay for all cases, even if it's not remotely relevant to me]!" I'm really tired of that. If you do the mental gymnastics to try to justify your cognitive dissonance so you can sleep at night, that sounds like a personal problem. If you legitimately happen to fall into one of those tiny edge cases (you're a researcher in Antartica and can't access the app, your father suffered a terrible accident when a bookshelf at Barnes and Noble fell on him and his dying wish was that you never pay for manga) then this is not for you, and I think no one cares.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Will the back catalog include older series Viz published like Patlabor, even if they went unfinished? I'd like to show readership for those so there's a chance they continue.

Nah, I'm guessing 9000 of the chapters they're making available are going to be One Piece, Bleach, Naruto and Dragonball.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, this is great. It 100% better than the Crunchyroll manga service. Were it more of an afterthought than a real Manga service. Glad, VIZ is taking an chance with this
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty amazing and just killed any good reason people have of pirating these titles.

Hopefully Saint seiya is in that backlog thingy.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
will offer free chapters of manga the same day that they debut in the Japanese version of the magazine beginning on December 17.

How are they going to make any sort of profit?
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:
will offer free chapters of manga the same day that they debut in the Japanese version of the magazine beginning on December 17.

From the monthly membership plan.

Quote:
In addition to the free manga available to all users on the website, a new membership plan will offer more than 10,000 manga chapters that Viz Media previously released in English. The membership will cost US$1.99 per month and will also launch on December 17. A seven-day free trial will also be available. There will be no annual subscription rate.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:27 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who wants an idea of what'll be available in the back catalog, I would say these series are definite:

Assassination Classroom
Bakuman.
Black Cat
Black Clover
Bleach
Boruto
Buso Renkin
Cowa!
Cross Manage
Death Note
D. Gray-man
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Super
Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!!
Hikaru no Go
Hunter x Hunter
I''s
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
Kuroko's Basketball
Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation
My Hero Academia
Naruto
Nisekoi
One Piece
Pretty Face
The Promised Neverland
Psyren
The Prince of Tennis
Sand Land
Strawberry 100%
Toriko
We Never Learn!
Whistle!
World Trigger
Yu-Gi-Oh! (and whatever related series)
ZombiePowder.

(This is essentially a list of series that Viz has still the rights to and has released digitally.)

Some out-of-print/not available digitally or unfinished titles that are up in the air:

Eyeshield 21
Gintama
Reborn!
Rurouni Kenshin (mainly because of the controversy)
Shaman King (it's more likely that Kodansha does something with this one)
Slam Dunk
Video Girl Ai
Yu Yu Hakusho

Not sure how they feel about Monthly Shonen Jump/Jump Square titles, so these are just slight possibilities right now:

Blue Exorcist
Claymore
Platinum End
Rosario + Vampire
Seraph at the End
Tegami Bachi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
otastorian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:28 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Quote:

I'm not an economics/marketing expert at all, but I'd assume they're hoping that by offering a little bit for free, and then a bigger selection for a (much cheaper than before) sub fee, more people will actually subscribe.

This is actually a really smart move. Outside of collectors and hardcore fans, most people would rather stream than buy physical copies, especially with manga volumes being as expensive as they are. Hopefully this gets more people into manga, and I'll definitely be telling the people I know about this.
Calico

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This is... wow. It's nice that they're making all the back catalog available, and since I'm already subscribing I'll be able to read it. I've got to wonder if this will cut into the sales of the physical volumes, though.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a very smart and proactive move to help prepare for the eventual and inevitable decline in retail book sales in English.
I worry about the effect it will have on more niche manga though. This model might work well at shounen jump scales, but I don’t think it is viable for seinen/josei/less popular genres.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Is this good? I've enjoyed my subscription to WSJ online via VIZ for years now. I read that my subscription will transfer over, but I'm still confused about what is really changing here?
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little unsure how to feel about the tenor of a lot of the reactions I've seen, along the lines of "This is good because it'll prove beyond all doubt that THOSE people are full of garbage and selfish liars and hypocrites and deserve all the hate I have for them etc. etc."

Like... there's plenty of other reasons why it's good beyond spite and vindication of anger. It's good for Viz, it's good for Shueisha, it's good for mangaka, it's good for readers.

(Am I making any sense here?)
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
Is this good? I've enjoyed my subscription to WSJ online via VIZ for years now. I read that my subscription will transfer over, but I'm still confused about what is really changing here?

My understanding is that used to, chapters on WSJ would be locked up in the vault even for members once they were released as printed volumes. Now, some 10,000 previously-expired chapters of the back catalog in the vault will be unlocked for paying members to read. Also the newest 3 chapters will be free for anyone (in the regions Viz operates in) to read.
Edit:
xScar wrote:
Not true. I have every issue from January 2012 until now available to read in my library (since I've been a subscriber the entire time).

The question is:
Are they about to take these away from me?

Ok. Then this means that anyone who becomes a member even recently can read the entire back catalog. The issues used to expire after a certain amount of time, and if you hadn't bought them, you wouldn't have had access to them.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
xScar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

My understanding is that used to, chapters on WSJ would be locked up in the vault even for members once they were released as printed volumes. Now, some 10,000 previously-expired chapters of the back catalog in the vault will be unlocked for paying members to read. Also the newest 3 chapters will be free for anyone (in the regions Viz operates in) to read.

Not true. I have every issue from January 2012 until now available to read in my library (since I've been a subscriber the entire time).

The question is:
Are they about to take these away from me?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4