• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Bloom Into You, Riddle Story of Devil Creators Talk Yuri in Latest Newtype Issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to hear Kaishaku and Sakurako Kimino's input on yuri.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Yuri still have a long way to go from getting out of being an underrated genre (and a complicated joke) in Japan and I wish this interview should have tackled on that matter. These creators have contributed well for the genre.

Heishi wrote:

I would like to hear Trigger and Kyoto Animation's input of yuri and why they use it as a tool instead of as a form of love. I also want to hear Ayano Takeda and Amano Kozue's and why they have no respect for yuri.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Riddle Story of Devil is a favorite anime of mine and it is cool to see thatBloom into You is some how connected.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Uh, not sure how much Loveless Nakatani read, but there are definitely female characters in it. Yuiko, Hitomi (Ritsuka's teacher), Ritsuka's mother, Nagisa, the Zero pair of Kouya and Yamato who also happen to be an actual couple in the series???
giomikass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
TanyaTheEvil wrote:
Riddle Story of Devil is a favorite anime of mine and it is cool to see thatBloom into You is some how connected.

Agreed!
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

I have so many questions I would love to ask Kimino not so much about yuri (although I would love her response on that) but more about Sister and Baby Princess.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:24 am Reply with quote
It is interesting that while male otakas are trying to expand the interpretation of yuri more and more, female authors traditionally continue to perceive yuri as exactly the romantic relationship between girls.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Well, Sakurako has never been predominantly a yuri author, so I don’t understand people who perceive yuri's implications for Love Live as an obvious intention on her part only because she previously wrote the story to Strawberry Panic. However, as far as I heard, there is much more subtext in her manga-adaptation.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 am Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
It is interesting that while male otakas are trying to expand the interpretation of yuri more and more, female authors traditionally continue to perceive yuri as exactly the romantic relationship between girls.

Male otakus will always see yuri as a form of fanservice and subtext. If it is just hot girl-on-girl action or as long as the girls are not confirmed lesbians, they are happy with it. If it actually romantic or the girls are confirmed lesbians, they will rage on that because that means they cannot date them anymore. That is why Trigger and KyoAni loves toying fans with yuri shippings. Precure and majority of its fans do not even like nor respect yuri, straight-shipping the girls who are implied lesbians like Doki's Rikka.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:46 am Reply with quote
^Not sure who "they" are and I've never heard anyone raging as you describe that I can remember, here at least. As a male yuri fan I assume the lovers are "confirmed" lesbian which has no impact on my appreciation and I never have fantasies of dating the girls in question (unless I magically turn into a young woman, then definitely!). I also find "hot girl-on-girl action" more than a little off-putting and what I like is the romance. Can't talk for others but from the popularity of romantic yuri among fans, I assume most others are as well. I was however waiting to see posts on how this is all "fake yuri" made for guys etc. I've seen a few here "rage" about that...
ST0517

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a male yuri fan I assume the lovers are "confirmed" lesbian which has no impact on my appreciation and I never have fantasies of dating the girls in question (unless I magically turn into a young woman, then definitely!). I also find "hot girl-on-girl action" more than a little off-putting and what I like is the romance. Can't talk for others but from the popularity of romantic yuri among fans, I assume most others are as well.

I totally agree. Not to mention, there're at least two characters in Bloom explicitly confirmed to be lesbians, or at the very least, bi. It's the the romance that appeals to me. If someone wants "hot girl-on-girl action," there're are doujins for that.

Last edited by ST0517 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to the non-yuri series that have a lot of yuri subtext that never go beyond yuri, such as Love Live and Madoka. And the bait-and-switch lesbian types like Hibike Euphonium and SSSS.Gridman. Male otakus are fine with yuri series since they know the yuri is genuine and some of them are yuri fans. However, some of them can be a little hardcore to the point that "their" girls having female love interests can trigger them as much as "their" girls having male love interests.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I was referring to the non-yuri series that have a lot of yuri subtext that never go beyond yuri, such as Love Live and Madoka. And the bait-and-switch lesbian types like Hibike Euphonium and SSSS.Gridman. Male otakus are fine with yuri series since they know the yuri is genuine and some of them are yuri fans. However, some of them can be a little hardcore to the point that "their" girls having female love interests can trigger them as much as "their" girls having male love interests.
To me there is nothing wrong with shows that don't go beyond subtext. If yuri is not the main focus of the show then it's fine not to explicitly show it. Besides the relationships are always so very obvious you don't need a confession or kissing to confirm it (just look at nanoha). The bait and switch type shows however are unforgivable.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Dang right! Love Live, Madoka, Yuuki Yuuna, and Revue Starlight are fine since the subtext is just between the girls and girls only and the love is almost real. Hibike, Amanchu, LWA, and Cross Ange are absolute insults to yuri and fans with their forced het and yuribaiting.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I am also a dude that prefers yuri to be about the emotional relationship, rather than smut.

One reason why I enjoy visiting Okazu to read reviews.

Reading the article, the play in Blue Drop makes so much more sense, now.

Criminally underappreciated series. I wish there could have been more to fill in the time gap between the anime and manga's points in the timeline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2