• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
VGChartz: PS4 Has Sold 88.05 Million Units, Xbox One Has Sold 40 Million Units

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aodmisery

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 pm Reply with quote
im surprised ps4 sold so few units in japan. i was expecting alot more
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
That's very much within the expected ratio, what surprises me is that the US has less PS4 sales vs Europe, and that their XBOX sales are lower than the PS4s in their own territory.

By the way, those are some very accurate estimates for the XBOX! Down to single units! lol
stannisbaratheon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
[quote="aodmisery"]im surprised ps4 sold so few units in japan. i was expecting alot more[/quote]

Japan has a Population of 100 million, US is 300 million and Europe is 500 million, so the ratio percentage seems just right
Яeverse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 am Reply with quote
Am surprised vgchartz numbers are being reported.
redaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
>VGC
are you serious?

Everyone knows VGC pull numbers out of their ***.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 am Reply with quote
That probably explains why Xbox Japan's Games with Gold usually repeats giving Kalimba so many times. Since there's only over 100,000 units sold in Japan.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:15 am Reply with quote
PS4 being sold 35.56 to Europe makes it like that Europe is the PS4's console trend seller. Man, this is really good! I love seeing how PS4 sold very well in Europe.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:45 am Reply with quote
aodmisery wrote:
im surprised ps4 sold so few units in japan. i was expecting alot more

Japan has always been rather shaky in their reception towards consoles.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Original Xbox had trouble breaking the Japanese market due to oversized controllers, they brought out smaller ones but by then it was too late. XboxOne put a lot of money into courting developers and producing console exclusives from Japanese developers but produced little financial return and stopped after a couple of years, Xbox360 they didn't even bother trying.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:51 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Original Xbox had trouble breaking the Japanese market due to oversized controllers, they brought out smaller ones but by then it was too late. XboxOne put a lot of money into courting developers and producing console exclusives from Japanese developers but produced little financial return and stopped after a couple of years, Xbox360 they didn't even bother trying.

That seems like the reverse of what happened to me - they tried pretty hard with the Xbox 360, and not really at all with the Xbox One. By the time it came out over there, The Mattrickening had already stunted its launch everywhere else, and since all their effort with the 360 didn't really pay off, it seems they didn't bother to promote the One at all.

They did initially have a few Xbox One exclusives from Japanese devs, although those seemed like they were positioned with the international market in mind. But they either had a hard launch (Crimson Dragon), got interrupted partway through (D4, although that might've been due to Access Games falling out with Swery), or were cancelled (Scalebound, the Phantom Dust sequel). The free to play Happy Wars from Toylogic is the one notable ongoing success there, although that did start with a late 360 version.

I am curious to see how the next generation goes. Microsoft has notably bought up a number of devs and made a big show of it, as if to say "We'll do better next time". I am wondering if the aforementioned snafus with Japanese exclusives keep devs away, aside from multiplatform ports which we seem to have gotten more of. Sony's apparent arrogance this generation has also done a pretty good job of drawing ire though (see the whole weird mess they made with adult content for whatever reason), so I suppose we'll see how it plays out.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:43 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Am surprised vgchartz numbers are being reported.

#875573 wrote:
>VGC
are you serious?

Everyone knows VGC pull numbers out of their ***.

Although there is the few times when VGchartz uses real numbers from official reports, please do not use them as a source. I honestly do not know how they are still an active site, since many companies have ssid that they lie about their numbers. Not even in the ballpark, many numbers are highly inflated ad just fake :/
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 am Reply with quote
VGChartz is not a reliable site to get sales data from. The site outright makes up many of its sales which alone should trigger a red alarm.

If you want legitimate sales data, either wait for the NPD Group sales or for the companies to release their quarterly updates on how well their console sold.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1